Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The run in.  (Read 19730 times)

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The run in.
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:29 PM »
Am i right in thinking that Farrell will be back for the Bath game, lets hope he feels like he has a point to prove.

That could just mean Bath playing against only 14 for 60+ minutes

Covkid48

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
But he could take Preistland  out in the process

LCross900

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
Wasps definitely have tougher job against Exeter, you look at Sarries recent results and they are now an unknown quantity. Bath could turn them over, as it could be argued it means more to them making the play-offs

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
Bath could turn them over, as it could be argued it means more to them making the play-offs

Why would it mean more to Bath? Our immense turnaround (with the same, if not leaner, squad) is the epitome of a team hungry for success and more.

LCross900

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
Bath could turn them over, as it could be argued it means more to them making the play-offs

Why would it mean more to Bath? Our immense turnaround (with the same, if not leaner, squad) is the epitome of a team hungry for success and more.

Completely agree, but as I said, I just think Exeter are more of challenge than Sarries. I'm not saying that the Wasps boys have any less hunger, nobody could question that after this seasons turnaround, it was more a commentary on the opponents

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2020, 01:50:05 PM »
I think the boys would be very disappointed if they couldn't stay in the top 4.

Exeter as the final match was always going to be a hard one - any hope of getting into the play-offs should have been acheived before that match.

Considering the various run-ins we have acheived some remarkable results over the last few weeks.

If theyare disappointed, it should be with their performances earlier this season. It that which has meant we are not in a guaranteed play-off position with possibly the hardest match of the final round to play.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
The other way to look at it is that we need to beat Exeter to win the whole thing anyway, whether it's this game, or in a knock out. We need to now do that arguably twice. If we want to be champions, we should be able to beat them.

That said, I'd not be upset if Bristol lost tonight.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
I can't help but think back to the narrow home defeats to Irish, Quins and Saints earlier in the season and think "if only...".  But that's water under the bridge now and the upshot is we have a great opportunity to make the playoffs.  It's unlikely anyone will win the Premiership without beating Exeter.  Wasps will probably have to do exactly that twice in the space of a few weeks if they are to go all the way.

Agree with those above that the turnaround in our season has been very enjoyable and the season can be viewed as a success on that basis alone.  Playoffs just the icing on the cake, home semi / reaching the final would be the cherry on top.  In January, the cake itself looked fit for the bin!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »

Completely agree, but as I said, I just think Exeter are more of challenge than Sarries. I'm not saying that the Wasps boys have any less hunger, nobody could question that after this seasons turnaround, it was more a commentary on the opponents

I see your point but I’d still say that Wasps will have the edge over Bath in terms of mentality and momentum. As for Exeter and Sarries, remember the former has 1 final (likely 2) and a SF coming up within a couple of weeks plus they’ve already secured a home SF (so Wasps is effectively a dead rubber game), while the latter will be playing their last Premiership game so will want to make a statement and end their “era” with a symbolic high.

I think the boys would be very disappointed if they couldn't stay in the top 4.

Exeter as the final match was always going to be a hard one - any hope of getting into the play-offs should have been acheived before that match.

Considering the various run-ins we have acheived some remarkable results over the last few weeks.

If they are disappointed, it should be with their performances earlier this season. It that which has meant we are not in a guaranteed play-off position with possibly the hardest match of the final round to play.

Although true to a certain extent, that sounds tad harsh given the countless on and off field issues earlier this season. That remarkable (and almost immediate) turnaround after that 60-10 thrashing of Sarries was a clear indication that there were fundamental issues holding back the group - it was almost like Wasps were two completely different teams pre and post Dai (a gentleman I hold in high esteem).

Back to this Sunday, although it will be a very tough fixture, if the games against Sarries (both), Bath, Sharks, Quins or Tigers are anything to go by then we absolutely have the capability to get the result needed.

That said, I'd not be upset if Bristol lost tonight.

With all due respect to the selected Leicester players, but with the squad they’ve put out for tonight, it’s almost like they want to beat the record they ‘set’ at the Ricoh earlier this month for their biggest-ever league defeat.

LCross900

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »

I see your point but I’d still say that Wasps will have the edge over Bath in terms of mentality and momentum. As for Exeter and Sarries, remember the former has 1 final (likely 2) and a SF coming up within a couple of weeks plus they’ve already secured a home SF (so Wasps is effectively a dead rubber game), while the latter will be playing their last Premiership game so will want to make a statement and end their “era” with a symbolic high.

Good point, I hope you're right. I think it is just when I think Wasps v Exeter, I get the flashbacks to the 2016 Semi Final...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »
Good point, I hope you're right. I think it is just when I think Wasps v Exeter, I get the flashbacks to the 2016 Semi Final...

I suggest you go and lock yourself in a darkened room and watch this on repeat until the the 2016 semi has been fully banished from your memory! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8H4R4XS7dM

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
Some interesting scores so far out there on this horribly wet night.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2020, 07:08:10 PM »
Bristol are currently 7 points behind Wasps (as were Sale).
No bonus point in a win tonight and they are still 3 behind. If they get a bonus point win on the last weekend and Wasps get 2 bonus points vs Exeter I think we are still top 4 as Bristols points difference is poor.

I may be wrong but I think a bonus point win for Sale guarantees them top 4, a Win for wasps is top 4, same for Bath. Due to wins and points difference, even a bonus point win for Bristol doesn't guarantee them top 4, they need someone else to lose.

Tonights game is critical from Bristol to put pressure on the other teams at the weekend.

Points difference comes after number of wins if teams are level on league points.  In the scenario above, Bristol finish ahead with 14 wins to Wasps 13.

Forgot Bristol would have 2 more wins taking them to one more than Wasps

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »
Well, Irish did it.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »
and looks like Wuss have beaten Sarries too?