Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership Final to be played away from Twickenham  (Read 2855 times)

MarleyWasp

Premiership Final to be played away from Twickenham
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:18 AM »
From the Daily Mail:

Cash-strapped Premiership clubs veto Twickenham final after reluctance to meet RFU staging fee to host the match without fans next month

By Chris Foy and Matt Hughes For The Daily Mail

22:32 24 Sep 2020, updated 08:13 25 Sep 2020

- The Premiership Final is set to be moved from Twickenham for the first time
- Clubs have voted to hold next month's final at one of their own grounds
- RFU were unwilling to grant a discount to account for the absence of fans

The Premiership Final is set to be moved from Twickenham for the first time to save money, amid growing fears that some of

Sportsmail has learned that the Premiership clubs have voted to hold next month's final at one of their own grounds after reluctance to meet the RFU staging fee for the use of Twickenham, which has hosted the match since 2001.

The RFU were unwilling to grant Premiership Rugby Limited (PRL) a Covid-19 discount to account for the absence of fans at the final on October 24, as the governing body are facing crippling financial losses of their own. Chief executive Bill Sweeney warned earlier this week that the impact of the virus would cost them £138million.

The FA were sounded out about hosting the match at Wembley, but that option has been dismissed by the clubs as too expensive.

As a result PRL are conducting a consultation process to find an alternative neutral venue on the grounds that a club could host the final for negligible cost, given there would be no staging fee and little need for stewarding or security without a crowd.

Saracens and Worcester have been ruled out as their grounds have 4G pitches which the clubs have deemed unsuitable for the final, while it will not be taken to a club that could be involved.

Exeter have already qualified for the play-offs, with Bath, Wasps, Sale and Bristol competing for the other three places.

In addition to the cost of hiring Twickenham, there were also concerns about gaining permission to hold the final there from Richmond Council, because the game is likely to be moved to an evening kick-off to avoid a TV clash with the Ireland v Italy Six Nations clash on the same day.

There is no other date available at Twickenham because England are due to play the Barbarians at the stadium 24 hours later on October 25. With Twickenham now ruled out, Wasps' Ricoh Arena in Coventry and Bristol's Ashton Gate have emerged as the favoured venues, but only if those sides are not involved, with Kingsholm in Gloucester another option.

Many Premiership clubs will be relieved that a pragmatic decision has been taken to cut costs at a time when they are each losing between £750,000 and £1m each month.

I know that the RFU are just as in crisis as the clubs, but did they really expect PRL to pay £500k to hire the venue when they can't sell tickets?!?!?!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership Final to be played away from Twickenham
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
I'm not sure why Ashton Gate and the Ricoh are offered as alternatives. With the prospect of no fans all you need is a  field, 2 sets of posts and a generator for the cameras and media truck to work.  :P

Maybe this is the future of pro rugby in england?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm not sure why Ashton Gate and the Ricoh are offered as alternatives. With the prospect of no fans all you need is a  field, 2 sets of posts and a generator for the cameras and media truck to work.  :P

Maybe this is the future of pro rugby in england?

I doubt the infrastructure for live streaming games is equal at all the venues. The more that is already in place the fewer people have to attend for the broadcaster.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »
Maybe it's more a case of eliminating grounds which have what you don't want

Large pitch, high quality turf, easy transport access for the TV crew, large facilities to allow for social distancing... That probably knocks out Saracens, Worcester, Bath, Newcastle, Irish, Sale. If Exeter are out as likely finalists then you're down to Bristol, Quins, Tigers, Saints and Wasps

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
I cannot remember or find the source. There is some sort of technical benefit of the Ricoh, something like having the ability to have one camera operator.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »
Maybe it's more a case of eliminating grounds which have what you don't want

Large pitch, high quality turf, easy transport access for the TV crew, large facilities to allow for social distancing... That probably knocks out Saracens, Worcester, Bath, Newcastle, Irish, Sale. If Exeter are out as likely finalists then you're down to Bristol, Quins, Tigers, Saints and Wasps

Plus the Donkeys
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »
I cannot remember or find the source. There is some sort of technical benefit of the Ricoh, something like having the ability to have one camera operator.

I do remember reading that Vodafone have done some tech stuff with comms  at the Ricoh.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Personally I hope the Ricoh doesn't figure in their thinking for the final as it could only be considered if it was a neutral venue for the 2 finalists!

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »
I’d go with Richmond. The ground is still fairly close to Twickenham, it doesn’t have loads of facilities that would go unused and it still has good transport links. Should be pretty cheap to rent as well. A quick dog shit check before kick off and it’d be game on!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
I’d go with Richmond. The ground is still fairly close to Twickenham, it doesn’t have loads of facilities that would go unused and it still has good transport links. Should be pretty cheap to rent as well. A quick dog shit check before kick off and it’d be game on!

Wow - that would be something. Wasps winning the Premiership on a pitch that I have played on!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 03:14:51 PM »
Bristol city have a 3:00 ko on 24th so could it be used? Even if it was used in evening would there be time to deep clean areas ?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
Bristol city have a 3:00 ko on 24th so could it be used? Even if it was used in evening would there be time to deep clean areas ?

Quick answer to your query is no.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »
If given the chance to host the Premiership final, I'm sure Bristol City will reschedule their match.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 04:11:42 PM »
If given the chance to host the Premiership final, I'm sure Bristol City will reschedule their match.

This did occur to me too. Anything for coverage!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
"Large pitch, high quality turf, easy transport access for the TV crew, large facilities to allow for social distancing... That probably knocks out Saracens, Worcester, Bath, Newcastle, Irish, Sale. If Exeter are out as likely finalists then you're down to Bristol, Quins, Tigers, Saints and Wasps"

One of the reasons they gave against Twickenham was they didn't think they'd get permission for an evening game to avoid clashing with the Ireland v Italy 6N game so that makes The Stoop doubtful.

If they need to plan it before the Semi finalists are known then its down to Northampton.