Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rob Baxter: Exeter have 'earned right' to rest players against Wasps.  (Read 1625 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Is this just a cunning plan? :-\

Frm the Beeb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54368516
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Baxter: Exeter have 'earned right' to rest players against Wasps.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Can't disagree. Just wonder if he will do it. Wasps too will have to think hard, how many of the 23 on Monday will be fit enough for Sunday? Minozzi looked like he had a hamstring issue for one, and Josh took a knock. Cruze has started for quite a few games recently, so could probably do with a rest. Launch will be back.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:34:45 PM »
Interesting. But surely you wouldn't want to go into those big games with back to back losses?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
I am guessing that is a matter of morale, and if you already said to the players you don't care if they lose, so go enjoy yourselves ...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »
"I can't see how there's any argument from anybody to say that there's an integrity issue."

I wonder if the wealthy owners just below us Bath (Craig), Sale (Orange), Briz (Lansdown) have been having a quiet winge about Exe may be fielding a weakened team against us?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
Interesting choice of words from Rob Baxter and wonder if it is intended to get the best out of more of his squad?

I guess we will find out at noon tomorrow.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
There have been weakened teams left, right and centre since the season resumed.  There's an element of luck of the draw to it, and it worked nicely in our favour against Bristol.  Was expected to go against us at Sarries, but that turned out OK!  It's a squad game and clubs can pick anyone who is eligible.  I still expect Exeter to bring a bit of a hybrid team to the Ricoh.  And Baxter's dead right, they have 100% earned the right to go with whatever selection they choose and manage their players through the remaining games as they see fit.

On a side note, but not unrelated to the need to manage squads effectively, just seen Manu's out for 6 months.  Seem to remember a number of comments at the time of his move to Sale that it was a lot of money (reportedly) for someone who will spend more time injured than fit.  Thought it was a bad bit of business for Sale at the time and so it has turned out.  My perception is that through the busy schedule in recent weeks, Sale have been less inclined to rotate than others, and they do seem to have picked up a number of injuries recently.  Coincidence?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
In the 2003/04 season Wasps went into the playoffs on the back of two straight defeats. I don't recall that season ending badly.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
In the 2003/04 season Wasps went into the playoffs on the back of two straight defeats. I don't recall that season ending badly.

2nd place in the league has been known to work out quite well for Wasps in the past!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
There have been weakened teams left, right and centre since the season resumed.  There's an element of luck of the draw to it, and it worked nicely in our favour against Bristol.  Was expected to go against us at Sarries, but that turned out OK!  It's a squad game and clubs can pick anyone who is eligible.  I still expect Exeter to bring a bit of a hybrid team to the Ricoh.  And Baxter's dead right, they have 100% earned the right to go with whatever selection they choose and manage their players through the remaining games as they see fit.

On a side note, but not unrelated to the need to manage squads effectively, just seen Manu's out for 6 months.  Seem to remember a number of comments at the time of his move to Sale that it was a lot of money (reportedly) for someone who will spend more time injured than fit.  Thought it was a bad bit of business for Sale at the time and so it has turned out.  My perception is that through the busy schedule in recent weeks, Sale have been less inclined to rotate than others, and they do seem to have picked up a number of injuries recently.  Coincidence?

Out for 6 months??

Really bad luck for sicknote..

On the plus side for Sale.. that 6 months wiill mostly be part of their next season's salary cap.

I think long term injured players' salaries can be taken away from the salary cap.