Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership Rugby statement  (Read 23691 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership Rugby statement
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
The obvious question for me is if Sale had 23 players negative and ready to go why was it postponed. Either they could fulfil the fixture or not? Still, leaves them definitely without those who tested positive, possibly without more positive tests and facing 2 games in 5 days. Personally I'll take a Sale BP win which would leave us facing a tired and depleted team in the semi.

Unlike Warriors, Sale never announced their 23 for today and still haven't. Suspicious.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »
Surely govt/local auth/PHE guidelines (dare I say it laws. . I can't keep up) usurp anything that has been agreed by PRL and the clubs.

Pat Lam actually gave us a hint of how much work it takes to keep his squad at a manageable minimal risk. I presume that requires players and whoever they live with to be in a very tight bubble.. then you have the club bubble. I'm guessing the bubble that the players and coaches are livinh in to try and get the season finished affects what their partners can or can't do as well.

He implied that perhaps getting 1 case every few weeks in one club.. or indeed over the whole premiership is to be expected.. but to get 19 in one small organisation... in 1 week... he honestly looked gobsmacked. I'm sure all players.. all coaches.. all staff know its their jobs on the line if they break protocols

Something has gone badly wrong at Sale. Could one person within the squad breaking their bubble create such a knock on effect?

If it was a pig processing plant.. PHE would be all over it like a rash (rashers). I can't understand why Sale haven't immediately been locked down until the source has been found

Taking new tests on Tuesday isn't going to help as the guideline incubation period might be 10 - 14 days.

Maybe the Sale squad all went on a group long drive to a castle to test their eyesight.. if so, they are all in the clear.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
He implied that perhaps getting 1 case every few weeks in one club.. or indeed over the whole premiership is to be expected.. but to get 19 in one small organisation... in 1 week... he honestly looked gobsmacked. I'm sure all players.. all coaches.. all staff know its their jobs on the line if they break protocols

Dimes said they got a bunch of results back and that they were all -ve. They then got a correction that one of them was +ve. That person will have been acting, and treated, as if they'd been -ve.

In those circumstances its easy to see how the infection could spread quickly amongst a tight knot group who are training together.

We need to be very careful with pointing fingers because this disease is still largely novel and we we should apply Occam's Razor as we might come a cropper in some unexpected way.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »
The RFU have now launched an investigation into Sale.  I'm struggling to see how Wednesday's game can go ahead.  Still too many unanswered questions for me, and if I was Worcester I'd not be at all comfortable with it going ahead.  There is every chance that the new round of testing this week will identify further cases as my understanding is that an infected person may still return a negative result for a number of days after infection.  As Dimes admitted during yesterday's interview, 3 or 4 more cases and that's game over for them.

What Sale seem to be angling for is that they put out a legitimate match day squad for Wednesday (wouldn't even have to be 23 as long as all front row positions are covered from the bench I think), just as they claim to have done for yesterday (although no-one saw that squad named). Worcester, with nothing left to play for, cry off, meaning Sale are awarded the 5 points and a place in the playoffs without even playing.  That would put them up against Wasps next weekend.  If Wasps were to do the same as Wuss and put the squad's health ahead of all other factors (as I would expect) then Sale could conceivably get themselves a bye to the final!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »
The RFU have now launched an investigation into Sale.  I'm struggling to see how Wednesday's game can go ahead.  Still too many unanswered questions for me, and if I was Worcester I'd not be at all comfortable with it going ahead.  There is every chance that the new round of testing this week will identify further cases as my understanding is that an infected person may still return a negative result for a number of days after infection.  As Dimes admitted during yesterday's interview, 3 or 4 more cases and that's game over for them.

What Sale seem to be angling for is that they put out a legitimate match day squad for Wednesday (wouldn't even have to be 23 as long as all front row positions are covered from the bench I think), just as they claim to have done for yesterday (although no-one saw that squad named). Worcester, with nothing left to play for, cry off, meaning Sale are awarded the 5 points and a place in the playoffs without even playing.  That would put them up against Wasps next weekend.  If Wasps were to do the same as Wuss and put the squad's health ahead of all other factors (as I would expect) then Sale could conceivably get themselves a bye to the final!

That is precisely what they intend. And it is why the original rule was brought in meaning they should have been required to forfeit the game on Sunday. Not only that, but, as the RFU now suspect, some players had shown symptoms before the game on Wednesday. Thus, they intentionally placed the Saints players and officials at risk. This whole thing stinks. It is time the Police got involved for the breaches of Covid rules. Why are people like this so stupid, and why did the PRL take the wrong decision on Friday? It should have been a no-brainer. Something truly stinks at Sale and the PRL.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
Not only that, but, as the RFU now suspect, some players had shown symptoms before the game on Wednesday. Thus, they intentionally placed the Saints players and officials at risk.
Crikey... has this definitely been confirmed?

Dimes certainly looked shifty, yesterday, and both his and PRL interviews on BT Sport felt scripted and contrived.

Something rarely mentioned, but for me very concerning, is lung scarring and damage from COVID-19. Does this fully clear up and after how long? I know people still breathless months later (and not old layabouts like me). Could be v bad news for players... French clubs seem to be taking seriously, in terms of extended recovery (heard raised for one of the Paris clubs, I think).

Saints and maybe other clubs could and arguably should sue Sale if player welfare and livelihoods wilfully put at risk.

Perhaps critically, Diamond said Sale had a reversed test result for one player -- wondering if related to latest national testing snafu?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:29:36 PM by PestNproud »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »
Not only that, but, as the RFU now suspect, some players had shown symptoms before the game on Wednesday. Thus, they intentionally placed the Saints players and officials at risk.
Crikey... has this definitely been confirmed?

Dimes certainly looked shifty, yesterday, and both his and PRL interviews on BT Sport felt scripted and contrived.

Something rarely mentioned, but for me very concerning, is lung scarring and damage from COVID-19. Does this fully clear up and after how long? I know people still breathless months later (and not old layabouts like me). Could be v bad news for players... French clubs seem to be taking seriously, in terms of extended recovery (heard raised for one of the Paris clubs, I think).

Saints and maybe other clubs could and arguably should sue Sale if player welfare and livelihoods wilfully put at risk.

Certainly not confirmed, but rumoured, and potentially the reason the RFU now want to know more.

I agree about the 2 interviews.  Both very much sticking to script.  Saints not impressed with PRL rep stating that they had allowed extra players to be brought in.  Saints had already issued a statement saying otherwise and have reiterated that following the interview.
Dimes response to the question about the team possibly going out on the lash after the Prem Cup final said it all really.  Very abrupt denial, and unfortunately not pressed on what they did do (if anything) to celebrate.  Think they were a bit scared to press the point to be honest.  Ugo Monye is certainly no Jeremy Paxman! :)  And in fairness to Monye, neither Doyle or Lol followed that one up either.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
"Something rarely mentioned, but for me very concerning, is lung scarring and damage from COVID-19. Does this fully clear up and after how long? I know people still breathless months later (and not old layabouts like me)."

Lung damage - scarring, pulmonary emboli and micro-emboli are the main problems. The scarring may well be more to do with ventilators and early treatment strategies. Overall you have to be severely affected to get this - high risk, profoundly hypoxic etc. Not many young athletes will have this level of disease.

Breathlessness is very interesting. I still have it and my scans show my lungs are fully recovered and my lung function tests are normal. The other causes are cardiac including myocarditis [common in covid but not usually severe], and CNS effects. I am now intolerant to heat and I start panting like a spaniel if I go into a warm room. If I have the air-con set to 19ºC I am fine. There may be some regulatory changes caused by the virus getting into the CNS [central nervous system = brain and spinal cord].

This is not me browsing the journals: it is from the Prof of Respiratory Medicine at Imperial College who is running post-covid clinics.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »
Dimes was very obviously reading from a prepared paper in front of him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
I think that DGP has got it spot on about Sale and Diamond.  It was obvious as far back as Friday  and beyond what the Master Plan was, and if I can work it out then anyone can.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
"Something rarely mentioned, but for me very concerning, is lung scarring and damage from COVID-19. Does this fully clear up and after how long? I know people still breathless months later (and not old layabouts like me)."

Lung damage - scarring, pulmonary emboli and micro-emboli are the main problems. The scarring may well be more to do with ventilators and early treatment strategies. Overall you have to be severely affected to get this - high risk, profoundly hypoxic etc. Not many young athletes will have this level of disease.

Breathlessness is very interesting. I still have it and my scans show my lungs are fully recovered and my lung function tests are normal. The other causes are cardiac including myocarditis [common in covid but not usually severe], and CNS effects. I am now intolerant to heat and I start panting like a spaniel if I go into a warm room. If I have the air-con set to 19ºC I am fine. There may be some regulatory changes caused by the virus getting into the CNS [central nervous system = brain and spinal cord].

This is not me browsing the journals: it is from the Prof of Respiratory Medicine at Imperial College who is running post-covid clinics.

Very interesting, much of that new to me (you don't also moonlight as MD in Private Eye!?), and only half-reassuring. V much hope your side sorts itself out in time. Thx

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
This was on BBC News (TV - News 24 channel) I think.

It seemed to suggest that the other clubs had made a formal complaint, forcing the PRL to investigate. I get the feeling this isn't going to go well for Sharks.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »
New statement from Sharks:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/sale-statement-club-could-forfeit-worcester-game-hit-out-at-allegations-in-the-media/

Essentially, if they get one more case, the game will be off and awarded to Worcester.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
Damage limitation

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile