Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Training Centre  (Read 17553 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Training Centre
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
600 replies from 15000 residents isn't what I would call representative. That's only 4%, or just 3% of residents voiced opposition. It's about time the council just got on with it. Highly likely they will REJECT, then we can appeal and so on. I would hope this if it gets rejected, Wasps renegotiate the price in view of Covid.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
It was a survey, sent out by those who are against it and surveys are right at the bottom of objectivity when trying to find out what people really think.

The majority of residents were in favour of option one on that questionnaire (opposed to the Wasps application) and we feel we have a clear mandate from our residents

They didn't even randomise the order they asked the questions.

Covkid48

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 11:32:33 PM »
I know we need a permanent training centre of our own but can we really afford it at the minute.  Telling the government we need a bailout but spending loads of dosh on a training ground

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 11:38:13 PM »
The value of the Wasps business will increase when we have our own training facility.

It will also help with the recruitment and retention of top players.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 09:23:12 AM »
Do we have anyone on here who lives locally to the site & can give honest feedback on the strength of feeling from the locals?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 10:31:03 AM »
I drive through regularly, I know someone who has a business there and will ask. It is a small town or big village (Just checked population is 2000k) and the shops/pubs are along the high street. There is a plush golf course at on end and the training ground site is at the other end almost probably a 5-10min walk out of the town. I am slightly surprised people arn't glad it isn't just going to be houses, I suspect that's what will happen if the training ground falls through.

The planning must be focused on regional use more than anything. One place that some teams could go would be the King Edwards School sports ground on Manor Road in Stratford upon Avon. They have permission for an all weather flood lit facility for school use during the day and community use at other times, but are awaiting planning permission for something like 6 houses on an unused area in order to fund it. Lots of opposition from residents in the road that currently overlook the sports field. It's funny, where are all those people that want to fund community sports...

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
From the article

"The survey of around 600 residents by Beaudesert and Henley Joint Parish Councils found 81 per cent of respondents believed a significant community sports and health facility will be lost if the plans are given the go-ahead."

My memory is a little ropey but isn't the current status of the facilities down to it not being used (and being paased on from Stra Council to a private concern and now this) byt the local or wider community.

I'd class Henley in Arden as a very wealthy "expanded" village. Most of the people that live there probably use facilities in Stratford or to the north in the wealthier areas of the southern Brum sprawl (on the way to or from work).

The fact that Stratford council are looking to someone else to make better use of it means that market forces/local demand isn't doing that.

Would land re-categorisation need to take place for housing? Residential land prices in Henley must be towards the higher end of the scale so any developer would be sitting in the shadows rubbing their hands with anticipation (isn't Derek in that business?)

The small selection of people that could be bothered to fill in the questionnaire are probably in the early stages of NIMBY which can be triggered by any type of development.

I doubt many new jobs would be created but I'd take a punt on the local shops benefiting massively.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
The reality is that most of the vocal dissenters are angry CCFC supporters who live outside of the area.

The College sold the facility because it was losing money - it was a no brainer.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
Those who oppose the sale expect the local council to continue to subsidise a heavily loss making site. They won't. They will simply sell the site 'as is' at a lower price. It will then be left to rot until the locals get fed up and demand it is not left to get in to such a state. What the survey did not do was propose the two options:

1. Wasps take over and do as they propose.
2. The site is left to go to wrack and ruin.

There is no third alternative, where the council keep it open and in good condition. Not unless each and every local resident wants to stump up a huge wedge of cash.

Silly NIMBYs.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
The reality is that most of the vocal dissenters are angry CCFC supporters who live outside of the area.

The College sold the facility because it was losing money - it was a no brainer.

The College tried to sell the site to Central Government for something far worse!
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »
Perhaps the survey should have started with Are you a member of the centre /facility ? Surprising how many locals in any area moan when things disappear but don’t actually use the local shop, pub, brothel,library ,village hall or social club. Then wonder why local school or doctors surgery closes because nobody wants to move or live there.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »
As I understand it there is no change of use, the site remains as class D2 Assembly and leisure.

Therefore it is just a planning issue concerned with physical changes ro the existing facilities.

As such, even if the changes were refused Wasps could still go ahead and use it, as is. They could make any internal changes they want (subject to building regulation approval).

Jose

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Do we have anyone on here who lives locally to the site & can give honest feedback on the strength of feeling from the locals?

Happy to answer polite questions yes.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
We are always polite...well nearly anyway! Thank you for offering to help.

I have been reading these threads, but not being local it is hard to work out what the true feelings are. There is a lot of antipathy between some sections of the Coventry City fanbase and Wasps, and some sections of the media are hardly beacons of impartiality. There also seems to be some campaigning ongoing with these groups with an aim to stopping the development which clouds the picture somewhat,

Obviously most on here look at the plans from a certain viewpoint, but in view of the above and the known it is hard to know what people local to the centre actually think.  Is this seen as an improvement, detrimental or something in between?  Also if it's not Wasps, what do people want instead and what do people really think will happen if the development is turned down?

Thanks very much, your views will be interesting.