Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Training Centre  (Read 18235 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Training Centre
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
There is no evidence that WCG were looking to sell to anyone or actively looking to divest.

This puzzles me.  The fact that they sold is pretty clear evidence that they were lookign to sell isn't it?  Or are you suggesting that Wasps somehow forced them into selling the site?

As to who approached whom I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but it was pretty common knowledge Wasps were in the market for a training facility and had liquidity to make it happen.  If I had to guess I'd say someone saw an opportunity to be shot of it and keep something for the community even if it was reduced and approached Wasps to see if they'd be willing to buy it.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WussFan

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
Nelly, I’m afraid you are wrong,

Wasps show no inclination for the return of Cov City and Cov themselves want a new stadium elsewhere.

Wasps wanted exclusive use, if you bothered to check you would know this. They have absolutely started out with no intention to share or benefit anyone other than themselves.

Just because development isn’t allowed it doesn’t necessarily follow that companies like Wasps should be able to do what they like. They are absolutely the villain in this scenario and their behaviour is inexcusably selfish.

This would have been perfectly ok and sustainable as a community facility. I have no issue with the subsidy of local services given those facilities were paid for and subsidised by taxpayers - not Wasps.

Your central claim that this was Wasps or housing is bluntly complete rubbish.

I understand Wasps want a training facility, but I don’t see why it’s necessary to deprive a community of their facilities. The time spent faffing trying to snaffle everyone else’s could have been spent building some on the myriad land in Coventry and Warwickshire.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
Well it’s lucky the concerned community group have all this money. They can use it to improve the facilities in the local school for the betterment of the entire community. I shall look forward to hearing their plans to provide improved educational facilities. Admittedly I won’t hold my breath...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2020, 10:16:06 PM »
There is no evidence that WCG were looking to sell to anyone or actively looking to divest.

This puzzles me.  The fact that they sold is pretty clear evidence that they were looking to sell isn't it?  Or are you suggesting that Wasps somehow forced them into selling the site?

As to who approached whom I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but it was pretty common knowledge Wasps were in the market for a training facility and had liquidity to make it happen.  If I had to guess I'd say someone saw an opportunity to be shot of it and keep something for the community even if it was reduced and approached Wasps to see if they'd be willing to buy it.

This is exactly what happened. When the deal at OLs started to fall apart, the local people who really run things started to think a little more laterally I suspect. Somebody at county saw an opportunity to rid themselves of a financial black hole.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
Wasps show no inclination for the return of Cov City and Cov themselves want a new stadium elsewhere.

I think your bias is showing.  This is quite patently untrue. 

If Wasps genuinely don't want CCFC back at all then all they have to do is stop talking to them. The fact that negotiations keep on despite the underhanded dpulicity shown by SISU again and again is clear proof that Wasps are willing to have them back.  All they have to do is stop trying to distress Wasps through litigation. The day they agree to that they'll be back.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »

At this point I am laughing my socks off. SISU building a new stadium? Where? With what money? That is why they are back in talks with Wasps to move back in. The only people who truly believe the Sky Blues will build a new stadium under their current ownership are some deluded die hard fans. I had supported them since I was 7, until SISU took over and started their idiocy. I never went to the Ricoh to watch them. They sold out when they sold Highfield Road.

SISU kicked themselves out of the Ricoh.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »
2 new posters who have only posted in this thread?
You can smell it a mile off.

WussFan

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:01 PM »
Sigh....

One eyed fans who refuse to see anyone else’s point of view.

I’m not going to engage further. You asked for genuine views, which you then denigrate and dismiss. Factually much of what you have said on here is wrong.

Wasps are a cuckoo club I’m afraid.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2020, 10:33:42 PM »
Convert the pitch to a 4G as Worcester have done.

God forbid!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Sigh....

One eyed fans who refuse to see anyone else’s point of view.

I’m not going to engage further. You asked for genuine views, which you then denigrate and dismiss. Factually much of what you have said on here is wrong.

Wasps are a cuckoo club I’m afraid.
You won't be missed.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 10:42:32 PM »
Please try to keep it civil chaps.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »
2 new posters who have only posted in this thread?
You can smell it a mile off.

They've been quite open about who they are and why they're posting on this thread so they're not a troll if that's what you're implying.

For what it's worth, Wasps are a professional corporate entity. They are under no obligations to provide a subsidised sporting facility to locals. Just like a restaurant wouldn't be under an obligation to provide free school meals. The council should be providing sports facilities to the local population. Your anger should be directed at the council if you feel they are failing.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »
Please try to keep it civil chaps.
Unfortunately this is just the start.Not very clever though,post about rugby for a bit first.
Why would somebody go to the trouble of signing up to a site just to have a go.
And then throw the toys when called out for it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Picked up an interesting snippet today : heard a rumour that the training site had an offer from a property developer who wanted to leave it rotting for 2 years to encourage planning permission to be given. Classic tactics. Happens all the time.

WussFan

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 08:02:46 AM »
I’ll explain this to you politely.

You invited views from locals who know the situation, I obliged. I’m a Worcester rugby fan and not a supporter of CCFC.

On this thread you have variously denigrated the people objecting as NIMBYs, CCFC ultras and/or haters of Wasps. You’ve then gone on to show a degree of incivility to those who have explained why there is an issue for the locals.

As I have explained they are none of those things. They are people losing a valuable local facility who have been badly treated by both local authorities and Wasps. Prior to this no one had an axe to grind with Wasps.

Much of what some of you have stated on here as fact is far from that, it’s simply your own opinion. There is no simple truth that the choice was housing or Wasps. It seems to me that this is bending the narrative to fit a pro Wasps agenda.

Not a single one of you has explained why Wasps could not simply have built their own purpose built facility on any of myriad development sites across the region. Given the space available and the amount of development underway, particularly in Leamington, you would have thought that would be an entirely feasible option rather than disrupting a local community and removing access to a valued facility.

I’m not going to argue with you guys - perhaps you could play the ball and not the man and research why the locals are so angry.