Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who will we lose?  (Read 3438 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Who will we lose?
« on: October 11, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »
Given that we have so many playing well and have been in the spotlight quite a bit it's fair to assume we'll be losing players to internationals. Who and who comes in:
Definite: Minozzi (Watson), Rowlands (Gaskell)
Probable: Launchbury (Cardall) Willis (T Willis) Robson (Vellacott).
Possible: Taylor (Cruse) Bassett (Odogwu) Umaga (Sopoaga).

It's possible some of our youngsters might get apprentice type calls but hopefully they'd be released back.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Who will we lose?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Agree with this, another possible maybe Brad, who has improved enormously but I am not sure EJ sees what we see.
It was fine when I left it.....

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:13:27 AM »
We will miss internationals for the first 3 games of the 20/21 season starting next month.

I don't think we'll lose Taylor and Bassett but there is chance Kieran Brookes gets a call up now that Dan Cole is not the player he was.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
I appreciate we always consider this when internationals are round the corner. But Eddie won't pick many of us. I reckon he'll still keep pretty much the same old squad with one or 2 inclusions. Minozzi and Rowlands are the only guaranteed international in my eyes. The English players are all up for debate.

I personally think Launchbury, J Willis and Robson absolutely deserve England call ups. But doubt it will happen.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
From a back row perspective having Shields at 6, Young at 7 and then whoever at 8 (and could be Tom Willis, Vailanu or Barbeary) doesn’t really mean we’re too damaged without The Jackler.

Really, I suspect we’ll only lose Launch, Robson and Jack Willis to England.  Then Rowlands/Minozzi. 

Rowlands had a hell of a game yesterday.  When does Rowlands’ contract expire, was it the end of this season or later? I’m sure I read about some sort of deal whereby he’s confirmed as off to Dragons, but only once we’ve got a replacement/seen out this season or next - can’t recall which.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »
From a back row perspective having Shields at 6, Young at 7 and then whoever at 8 (and could be Tom Willis, Vailanu or Barbeary) doesn’t really mean we’re too damaged without The Jackler.

Really, I suspect we’ll only lose Launch, Robson and Jack Willis to England.  Then Rowlands/Minozzi. 

Rowlands had a hell of a game yesterday.  When does Rowlands’ contract expire, was it the end of this season or later? I’m sure I read about some sort of deal whereby he’s confirmed as off to Dragons, but only once we’ve got a replacement/seen out this season or next - can’t recall which.

Rowland is contracted until Summer 2021 but there was talk of letting him go early. I also thought he was immense yesterday.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
Sadly its been looking like Launch's England days are coming to an end for some reason. I hope he gets to play again but I would hate to see him keep getting picked for the squad and sitting on the sidelines, not even the bench.

I don't know what Dan (or Joe Simpson in his day) has to do to get a regular England slot. Perhaps its the way we play compared to the way England want play, but for me Dan is better than Youngs in most aspects of the game and far better when it comes to quick ball from breakdowns, and Care seems to have lost his edge.

I see Jacob being added to the squad just to get comfortable around the international scene but I don't think he'll be a regular pick for a while and will return for Wasps games. Its going to be great watching him and Marcus Smith competing for the England 10 shirt over the next few years and that should drive him on.

For me Jack is the only nailed on England selection, but then Eddie seems to have a different view of what makes an England player than most of the rest of the rugby world, so who knows.

I also thought Will Rowlands* had a cracking game, he's one of the engine room guys who doesn't always seem to get the praise he's due. It will be shame to lose him, but understandable.

*Am I the only one who is over 60 who wants to keep calling him Tiny, or is that me being a politics/current affairs nerd from an early age?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
Quite agree about Rowlands. Has been immense since resumption and had a great game yesterday. Another who I think has benefitted from the new strength and conditioning regime.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
It’s  on Cov telegraph that Minozzi will play in final

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
I find it hard to follow Jones' selection - especially on a "man for man" basis - I do realise that selection for a team that offers the best chance of winning - and that may mean not selecting the best individuals but the best 23

Jones' track record is varied - if you look at his time with Australia and Queensland Reds - he does sometimes lose the squad and the impression from the Japan squad was that his methods were not something you'd want long term.

But he's contracts....so I guess we'll see.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »
I rarely agree with a lot of what Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times writes, and especially his love affair with the EAs, but he gave us a glowing report of yesterday’s game and thinks Brookes should be selected by Eddie.

He also writes:
“One problem for those excelling in the Premiership is that Eddie Jones, for reasons which are unfathomable, seems to discount league form. Otherwise Willis, Brookes and Dan Robson will be in the team this autumn.”

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 01:02:45 PM »
It would not surprise me if Oghre gets a call up by Eddie.

He is dynamic and offers something different to the Exeter hookers.

An ideal finisher.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
Given that we have so many playing well and have been in the spotlight quite a bit it's fair to assume we'll be losing players to internationals. Who and who comes in:
Definite: Minozzi (Watson), Rowlands (Gaskell)
Probable: Launchbury (Cardall) Willis (T Willis) Robson (Vellacott).
Possible: Taylor (Cruse) Bassett (Odogwu) Umaga (Sopoaga).

It's possible some of our youngsters might get apprentice type calls but hopefully they'd be released back.

For me Sirker in for Minozzi / Bassett now he appears to be fully fit. He was Travelling Reserve for the back 3 during yesterday's game so appears to be moving up the pecking order fast!!

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
Healey said yesterday Wasps had agreed with Italy we keep Minozzi for the final. He also suggested Eddie make take a punt on Barbeary based on Eddies like for young tyors

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
Did he? I thought Mullins said in the commentary that we had agreed Minozzi would play for Italy? Perhaps I misheard.

Also, "The Jackler" is a phenomenal nickname, chapeau!