Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Robson's try.  (Read 5316 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Robson's try.
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:28:04 AM »
Bit of media heat about this post match. I couldn't see a problem with it at all. The whistle had gone. If the Bristol players want a dialogue about why that is up to them. Carley quite rightly began explaining but also quite rightly didn't stop the play as Wasps played on. Hopefully it might even stop a bit of the silly appealing for and contesting of decisions. For me refs need to do less of the explaining and in game coaching.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Robson's try.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »
It’s only the same as Nathan’s tap and go .

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 11:35:49 AM »
If the Bristol players want to stop playing and listen to Carley explaining, after they had asked him to, that's fair. They can't expect the Wasps players to stop and listen though. There are plenty of moans that Dan didn't take it from the correct spot. He took it from a couple of meters back. Fair enough.

I think many teams use the Ref 'chat' as a means to hold the game up and get a bit of a rest, so, well, that's tough. Just look at how many times Faf de Clerk gets on with it with a tap and go. Good on him, and good on Dan.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
Hughes took a quick one - whilst Wasps were interacting with the ref, and from at least two metres in front of the mark - so for me it was "one all"

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
If the Bristol players want to stop playing and listen to Carley explaining, after they had asked him to, that's fair. They can't expect the Wasps players to stop and listen though. There are plenty of moans that Dan didn't take it from the correct spot. He took it from a couple of meters back. Fair enough.

I think many teams use the Ref 'chat' as a means to hold the game up and get a bit of a rest, so, well, that's tough. Just look at how many times Faf de Clerk gets on with it with a tap and go. Good on him, and good on Dan.

+1

It also give the defence a bit of time to get organised, those being penalised shouldn't expect to be able to benefit in any way from the transgression.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
The ref hadn't called time off, so the ball was still live.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
The ref hadn't called time off, so the ball was still live.
Absolutely

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »
You can hear on the TV that the ref himself says immediately after the try that it was no different to the Hughes tap.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 04:16:22 PM »
Bristol certainly have a very talented squad but it doesn't necessarily strike me as an intelligent squad, as the Robson try proved.

I've watched the highlights back and whilst Carley was explaining the penalty as Hughes took the tap none of our players seemed to be debating it, although Joe wanted to after the try.

Another example of naivety was the turnover that lead to Jack's try. Minozzi is making a mess of things so both Uren and Thacker go in to clear him out without communicating with each other. End result is they secure the ball but nobody is controlling the ball allowing Young to steal it and run off.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
The only thing I wonder about with the Robson try is that he took it behind the ref. I'm sure I've heard refs call quick taps back before by saying "you didn't take it in front of me" but I am not sure it's actually a rule.

I do agree that the opposition should not be able to prevent a quick tap just by moaning to the ref about the decision, eliciting his explanation

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
One difference between Hughes and Robson is that Hughes took his tap and go from 2 yards in front of where the penalty was awarded whereas for me Robson took it from a legitimate spot.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 05:48:45 PM »
I think the anger is from the fact that some refs pull them back, some don't.  I would prefer tap and go to be encouraged as they were. If the ref is talking it will depend on if he initiates the discussion  or not, we don't want teams slowing stuff down by initiating constant requests for explanation. Perhaps the ref should say 'time off' before starting lectures, at which point there can be no quick tap, and if he does not then any tap and go should be allowed regardless of the conversations with the ref that may be taking place.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
I think it's more he did it behind the ref, at least that's how it looks. So:
1. How did the ref know he took a quick tap
2. How are Bristol meant to know he took a quick tap and tackle him if the ref is in the way?

I'm on the side that it's not fair. If Bristol did that to me, I'd not like it. But it's done now.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »
I think it's more he did it behind the ref, at least that's how it looks. So:
1. How did the ref know he took a quick tap
2. How are Bristol meant to know he took a quick tap and tackle him if the ref is in the way?

I'm on the side that it's not fair. If Bristol did that to me, I'd not like it. But it's done now.

Bristol did do it via Hughes.

Unless the ref says "time off", the ball is still in play.  Its not down to the attacking side to allow the defending team to have a chat with the ref or get back into defensive positions.

Occasionally a ref will pull  play back if he/she isn't sure if the ball was tapped in the correct place but rugby does involve 3 officials. In this case it was close enough to the touch judge who gave it the thumbs up (via mic I presume).

So, perfectly fair and within the rules

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
BG,

If touch judges also verify it then that's perfectly fine.

It did also look like Dan took it so the ref blocked the view of the defence. I could be wrong on that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:25:01 AM by HDAWG »