Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai's best signing?  (Read 2422 times)

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Dai's best signing?
« on: October 10, 2020, 08:05:38 PM »
Thinking about this earlier.
I could make an argument for Jimmy, but my vote would go for George Smith. He was only with us for one season but we are still seeing his influence today. The time he spent in training with Young and Jack Willis was well worth whatever he was paid.

I'd love to hear what others think.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Dai's best signing?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 08:07:23 PM »
Jimmy Gopperth for me.
It was fine when I left it.....

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »
That Lee bloke they interviewed at the end. Pretty good signing.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
That Lee bloke they interviewed at the end. Pretty good signing.

Not too shabby
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
That entire squad was down to Dai.

The sad thing is that if we'd got the new blood in as Head Coach that he was trying to get then he'd likely still be with us, and new coaching blood is exactly what has made the difference.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
Completely agree. Dai's recruitment is what built this squad. Say what you want about the amount of talent we lost, but Dai helped recover from that with academy promotions and signings. That said, the new coaching structure is what took it to a whole new level.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:13 PM »
That entire squad was down to Dai.

The sad thing is that if we'd got the new blood in as Head Coach that he was trying to get then he'd likely still be with us, and new coaching blood is exactly what has made the difference.

Totally agree.  Yes one or two seem to stand out for separate reasons but it’s getting the  whole balance right.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:44:11 PM »
Whoever signed our strength and conditioning team plus this set of coaches. Young made some fantasticillay canny signings. My top few would include Brookes, Alo, Fekitoa, Harris, Cruse, Taylor, Gopperth. And there are loads more.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:39 AM »
We're not privvy to what happens on the training ground but from the snippets of information that players have mentioned and from his occasional mid game interviews, I suspect Gleeson has brought a different outlook to attacking options. Generally RL coaches get pigeon holed into defensive duties but modern day rugby teams tend to use RL type rush flat defences. Perhaps Gleeson, with a RL background, has given the players a different insight on how to break that defence down.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
We're not privvy to what happens on the training ground but from the snippets of information that players have mentioned and from his occasional mid game interviews, I suspect Gleeson has brought a different outlook to attacking options. Generally RL coaches get pigeon holed into defensive duties but modern day rugby teams tend to use RL type rush flat defences. Perhaps Gleeson, with a RL background, has given the players a different insight on how to break that defence down.

I agree about Martin Gleeson 100%. To describe him as having 'a RL background' is a bit of an understatement - he'd played top class league for 15 years, has 20 caps for Great Britain and 6 for England.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
The whole squad, but I must single out Ian Costello.

Yesterday was the best defensive performance by Wasps in eons and will be key to our ability to win the final.

He has been castigated for the last 18 months when our defence was fairly brittle but he has been able to turn it around dramatically.

Also S&C changes have transformed the team. I remember being at the last game of the season at the Ricoh against Quins last season where we contrived to nearly throw it away (Quins missed a long penalty with last kick) having dominated the game but failed to last the pace. The intensity they have now for 80 minutes is a remarkable point of difference  which top teams require.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
For me it would be Wentzel.  Without him turning our lineout round and playing injured vs Falcons, there would be no Wasps now...I don't recall if TV2 was a Dai signing (I don't think he was - it was before my time), but his was a pretty telling contribution vs Bath too!

In terms of the current set up, I would suggest Everard and Massi.  They have been so vital in bringing our young talent through smoothly and effectively.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »
For me it would be Wentzel.  Without him turning our lineout round and playing injured vs Falcons, there would be no Wasps now...I don't recall if TV2 was a Dai signing (I don't think he was - it was before my time), but his was a pretty telling contribution vs Bath too!

In terms of the current set up, I would suggest Everard and Massi.  They have been so vital in bringing our young talent through smoothly and effectively.

Yes Marco made a huge contribution in Dai's early days. A one man line out winner. Superb. Varndell was about a couple of years before Dai but did wonders in keeping us up.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »

Yes Marco made a huge contribution in Dai's early days. A one man line out winner. Superb. Varndell was about a couple of years before Dai but did wonders in keeping us up.
My memory was playing tricks on me.  Of course Varndell was about before Dai - my daughter was mascot for the EA game when Marty Veal (?) was sent off despite being nowhere near the ball and Shaun Edwards was rather caustic about the reffing performance in the Verre Suite after the game.  Varndell was playing then.  Ffion didn't care - she got to run out with her hero - Betsen!