Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps squad updates ahead of Premiership final with Exeter Chiefs  (Read 2718 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Report from Bobby Bridge.##

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/malakai-fekitoa-wasps-rugby-news-19096814

Looks like Malakai won't be ready.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps squad updates ahead of Premiership final with Exeter Chiefs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
Feel for Malakai, seems like Michael and Sam are the most prepared, Although with 2 weeks maybe Juan has time.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:20:48 PM »
Rowlands - most improved player this season, his aggression and work rate have upped to a whole new level.
I wasn't initially that fussed previously but based on this season I'd hate to lose him.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
Ah shoot. Shame about Fekitoa. But at least Matteo is available, I was concerned he'd miss out.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
No mention again of Lima.  He was definitely at The Ricoh at the weekend as I saw him on TV in the team seats celebrating one of the trys.  Is he done and off or still recovering from the hamstring injury? 

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »
I feel Fekitoa has become quite integral to us. Big shoes to fill, for sure, but we have a habit of overcoming adversity of late.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 07:45:02 PM »
A massive loss if Malakia doesn't make it.

However, MLB did  a great job defensively on Radradra who is arguably one of the best 13s on the planet.

I would start MLB with Spink in reserve (he is a bigger unit than JdJ), it may be too soon for JdJ and I think we need muscle and size. Lee will probably go for experience if JdJ is fit.

Chiefs operate a forwards based game, but there is plenty of flair in the backs, Simmons,Slade and Hogg have to be contained or it will cost us dearly, on that basis we need a midfield enforcer, and MLB showed he can step up, he may not have the attacking prowess that Malakai has, however he has demonstrated his ability to plug the defence hole that Malakai being absent opens up. We weren't favourites vs. Bristol, and I am sure people who had backed Bristol were rubbing their hands when Malaki went off, we rose to that challenge and can maintain the momentum into the final. This is our miracle season IMO, and I have a good feeling.
It was fine when I left it.....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 07:55:26 PM »
WRT Malakai, it's the last game of our season at HQ. Obviously the scan results will show the severity of the issue. It has been put to me by more than one person that they could strap him up and see how he goes. Risky I know but ........

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
WRT Malakai, it's the last game of our season at HQ. Obviously the scan results will show the severity of the issue. It has been put to me by more than one person that they could strap him up and see how he goes. Risky I know but ........

I'm sure Malakai would love to give it a shot. He scored his try after he'd damaged his groin. Tough player.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 08:25:17 PM »
JdJ is an International 13 notable for his defence.

M le B is not of that standard.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 08:40:04 PM »
I too doubted le bourgeois for ages, but against Bristol he was excellent replacing Fekitoa. I'd prefer him to Spink and JDJ.

In response to questions about Lima, he's fit and ready I believe, saw Instagram videos of him running during warm ups, I just don't think he's getting picked. Perhaps it's because it's last few rounds, Lee is picking his best squad with little to no rotation. Also Lee has been favouring 6-2 forwards backs split on the bench. Sops got injured at the wrong time, so I doubt he'll see game time until next season, purely from a squad rotation + strategy point of view.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »
I suspect it will be MlB with JdJ on the bench. I also suspect we will go 6+2 on the bench, with Barbeary as the possible joker.

I mean, would YOU want him lining up at 12 or 13 against you? He might not have the long distance pace, but he would take out two defenders and dance straight through. I watched him in a couple of U18 games playing in that role. He was unstoppable.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »
Its pace i'm worried about, I recall on two occasions Bristol players running around MLB without him slowing them down.

I'd be happier if JDJ started if he's ready to do so.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 06:15:12 PM »
If Juan is fit, it's a no brainer for me. As well as Booj played against Saracens and Bristol, Juan is an experienced international and has been one of our best defenders since he arrived.