Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 7 Positive COVID tests  (Read 16415 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
7 Positive COVID tests
« on: October 14, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/club-statement-pcr-covid-19-screening-programme/?fbclid=IwAR05tujkMcjL74yaD_MC02-DC1Ku6j-ZO0y_xHLWjqZc16HyYw47KvAz054

Wasps can confirm that seven members of the playing department, three staff members and four players, have returned positive tests for COVID-19.

The Club’s medical team were informed of the test results following the latest round of the PCR COVID-19 screening programme.

All seven, who are in good health overall, are now self-isolating and so are their close contacts. They will continue to follow Public Health England and Premiership Rugby guidelines and protocols. The Club have taken the decision to cancel training for the remainder of this week as an added precautionary measure.

Everyone at Wasps send their best wishes to the players and staff concerned.

The Club’s COVID-19 contact tracing, measures and protocols, which remain rigorous, will continue to be adhered to.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Positive COVID tests
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 04:01:29 PM »
Do the Covid Gods live in the South-West? First Racing, then us.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
Covid also appears to have taken the offy down.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:09:28 PM »
Cue rumours of over-celebrating the semi-final win...

Hopefully all affected recover fully and that this is the full extent of the outbreak.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »
The key is to figure how it came into the bubble. Might have been a game (Exeter or Bristol), or brought in by one person and spread to the others. I wonder if all clubs are being as transparent?  And how transparent? I felt the way Sale handled it was very poor. Let us hope that someone at Wasps has decided (or will decide) to be a lot more open.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
This is a serious question. Would the virus have time to establish itself if it was caught on Saturday afternoon/night?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »
This is a serious question. Would the virus have time to establish itself if it was caught on Saturday afternoon/night?

Depends when the tests were done. My guess, thinking about it, is no. So, it would be the Bristol game. But no statements from Bristol, so one has to think it has been brought in to the bubble by somebody in the bubble. Less likely to spread as much. But, I truly hope Wasps do the right thing. Something like, if we get more cases at the next set of tests on [Monday], we will cede the game. Not the wishy washy stuff Sale did. Player safety is paramount. My concern is for the well being of these players, and their loved ones.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
I'm not panicking yet.

Whilst it could be Joe, Jack, Jimmy and Jacob, it could equally be Vailanu, Zuzu, Flament and Edwards.

The fact that three staff have tested positive suggests its more likely to be medical staff as they'd have closer contact with players more so than the coaches. That could mean the players who have tested positive are injured players and wouldn't be training with the full squad.

As Nelly alludes to, what impact does it have on Bristol? If they're fine, it's likely the players weren't involved on Saturday and would be unlikely to feature in the final.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
From a rugby perspective, I hope this doesn't curtail any preparation for the final. I also hope that it doesn't affect the wider squad and jeopardise the game entirely.

From a personal perspective, I wish the best for the lads and hope they get well very soon! I'd rather the boys be healthy and the rugby does ultimately come second to health.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
Apparently Bristol have confirmed no positive tests.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
Fear the worst - must admit. If there are that many cases who have been "in the bubble" I don't see how it won't spread. Much like what happened at Sale. Priority is that all recover. As far as the final goes I'd rather concede than faff about trying to squeeze 23 players out of the youth ranks etc.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:07 PM »
I think they train in small groups and only come together for matches, so as long as it is contained within one bubble then we should be fine. But I guess everyone will be keeping a close eye on the test results over the next few days.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this scuppers the final, and wierdly I feel stoic about it.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 09:21:23 PM »
From the Sale  saga it seems tests are done on Mon/Tues and Thurs/Friday.

Either way, going by what happened at Sale, I think we'll have more by the end of this week.

Whether someone is feeling ok or not isn't important. A positive test should mean that those who have been in contact need to isolate. I hope Wasps make the correct decision.

Bristol must now be really worried

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
I don't imagine we would concede until after Exeter has had its own last batch of tests, in case both clubs similarly afflicted.

I wonder if there is even a mechanism for a scenario where neither finalist can field a team!?

Would seem (somewhat) unfair just to annoint Chiefs when our recent form has been stronger, but they are top of the table.

Exe fans seem stoic, even favouring a match so that no-one can denigrate the winner's right. Again, to be fair, they recognise not in the bag...