Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Daly  (Read 6762 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Daly
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
Coddy  is on the money for how I feel. Leaving for more cash? No worries. Leaving for rugby reasons- no problem. Leaving for social reasons- no problem. Leaving for another sport- no problem. Leaving because of falling out with X or y- no problem. Leaving to join the wage cheats everyone knew about but could not prove- there is the issue.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
I dont think the bitterness stems from Daly leaving Wasps, just like we dont resent Hughes, Simpson, Cipriani,  Cooper-Wooley etc leaving us recently for reasons only known to them but because he joined a team clearly star studded only because they were cheating the salary cap and no-one will convince me Daly didnt know this and also that he too would be enjoying Wrays "special" remuneration benefits.

My problem with Daly is his very poor exit (did he add anything in that last year?) and the possibility that he was party to the discontent that tore the club apart and then magically disappeared once he and a few others had scarpered. Really hope he wasn't -- didn't the club even develop him super-carefully so as not to risk damage from too much kicking when younger, i.e. you'd have hoped for better from him?

He could just be prone to poor choices in friends and decisions (too easily influenced by the likes of Jones, Sarries-mates, and troublemakers) but be fundamentally decent. He still seems to have a bond with some players and Wasps as a club, so hope there.

I thought he was a fabulous centre with an extraordinary boot, and a surprisingly decent winger, but have never a full-back -- and no surprise it was England that diverted him away from what we fans and the club were certain he should play, and presumably over-inflated his ego in the process. Sarries seem to still seem to like him, but isn't he a bit old as a full-back, super-utility project?

Picking up on BiND's suggestion that Daly might have been hit by club implosion, it still gets me that Simon Shaw left seemingly very bitter. Really hope that got settled.

Deep breath... wishing Daly (and Shawsie) well! Maybe he'll be back for the next international...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
Coddy  is on the money for how I feel. Leaving for more cash? No worries. Leaving for rugby reasons- no problem. Leaving for social reasons- no problem. Leaving for another sport- no problem. Leaving because of falling out with X or y- no problem. Leaving to join the wage cheats everyone knew about but could not prove- there is the issue.
Im no Daly fan but isn't in bold why he left, which is fair enough and something he should have owned instead of some BS about training facilities.
For me, much like Wade, past players, did want they did, I don't give them a second thought and I only care about the now and who wants to play for Wasps.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »
He was a great wasp until that final season. Some fantastic Elliott Daly memories in black and gold. The way he left will dissolve from memory in time and we can remember those arcing runs at the Ricoh, Adam’s Park and The RDS.

Also released in England Press today that he had a lump in his leg. Really hope it’s nothing too sinister and he recovers quickly. Thoughts with him and his family.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »
He was a great wasp until that final season. Some fantastic Elliott Daly memories in black and gold. The way he left will dissolve from memory in time and we can remember those arcing runs at the Ricoh, Adam’s Park and The RDS.

Also released in England Press today that he had a lump in his leg. Really hope it’s nothing too sinister and he recovers quickly. Thoughts with him and his family.

+1

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
My biggest issue with Daly is ever since he joined Sarries he plays like a bully or thug. Unnecessarily pushing players after whistle blown etc. He used to be a classy brilliant player. He's not been either of those since he joined Sarries. How much of that is due to the salary cap debacle? No idea. But seeing him shove Atkinson to ground unprovoked after whistle blown shows he's not the same player I knew.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:17 PM »
Rough play seems to be par for the course when players join Sarries seniors...Itoje was  brilliant and a clean player  when he was in their  Academy but changed when he was promoted.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »
My biggest issue with Daly is ever since he joined Sarries he plays like a bully or thug. Unnecessarily pushing players after whistle blown etc. He used to be a classy brilliant player. He's not been either of those since he joined Sarries. How much of that is due to the salary cap debacle? No idea. But seeing him shove Atkinson to ground unprovoked after whistle blown shows he's not the same player I knew.
This is very true

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
Im no Daly fan but isn't in bold why he left, which is fair enough and something he should have owned instead of some BS about training facilities.
For me, much like Wade, past players, did want they did, I don't give them a second thought and I only care about the now and who wants to play for Wasps.

Yeah, I meant (but did not say) openly leaving for more cash, like Nathan, rather than the guff spouted by Sarries fans about training, something special, less cash etc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:13:46 PM by westwaleswasp »