Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 7 Positive COVID tests  (Read 17015 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Positive COVID tests
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2020, 02:26:52 PM »
I’d rather Wasps forfeit the game than send a depleted team against Exeter that hasn’t been able to train together - unless there was money at stake?

Our season has been a bit of a roller coaster but overall it has been fantastic.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
At face value this isn’t the news any of us wanted but it could of been much worse if there were double digit positive results and a forfeit announcement.

Now let’s look at the ‘positives’:

1) most importantly the players (and families) are now in isolation and seem to be in good health otherwise.

2) we now know that a total of 8 players have tested positive of which 4 were juniors or Academy players who did not play in the SFs. So at least 50% of those infected were unlikely to have featured in Saturday’s selection anyway.

3) the infection rate hasn’t grown exponentially as it could of (see Sale) which means the ‘Wasps lockdown’ has been effective.

4) assuming the 4 who received +ve results today are a mixture of junior/senior players (worse case) and assuming the outbreak is largely contained (bearing in mind the stringent protocols followed since last week), Wasps are still in with a solid chance of playing on Saturday with a fairly strong team.

Don’t despair! We’ve had much darker days and we’ve pulled through stronger and better!

CYOW!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
I’d rather Wasps forfeit the game than send a depleted team against Exeter that hasn’t been able to train together - unless there was money at stake?

Our season has been a bit of a roller coaster but overall it has been fantastic.
I would rather forfeit as well.
But just give Exeter the win.
A game against Bristol is nothing more than a very hollow sideshow.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
If we have to forfeit -and although I understand the pre-agreement and need for TV revenue- I would simply cancel the final and award Exeter the title, they would deserve it. Bristol deserve to finish their season on a high and not place fillers for us. This also significantly undermines the integrity of the tournament as it must be the best two teams tilting for the title, or in this case awarding it to Exeter.

If we have to forfeit and Bristol takes our place it will be the final no one wants and devoid of meaning.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 03:12:38 PM »
Would we still qualify as 2nd place for next season's Euro cup (and therefore have the easier draw) if we have to forfeit the final?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
If we forfeit, we may well be placed third, and Bristol or Exeter 1st/2nd.

I did (briefly, not sure where) see that one of the new four was a first team player who would (most likely) have featured this weekend.

Given all the International fixtures coming, there is no room to move this game.

It is what it is. Rather be safe is my thought.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
Would we still qualify as 2nd place for next season's Euro cup (and therefore have the easier draw) if we have to forfeit the final?

Who knows? PRL are making things up on the fly.  Regular league game with the chance of a semi final place riding on it and a club with >20 positive cases among their players leads to a postponement (eventual cancellation, but heaven and earth moved to accommodate).  Winner takes all final that both clubs have earned the right to play in and 1 club returns 8 positive tests and we'll just wheel in the next cab off the rank.  Postponement presumably not on the cards as the internationals are following on straight afterwards.

In terms of the seedings, should Exeter win then I think things are pretty clear cut - Champions are top seeds; 2nd placed team who won their semi comfortably second seeds.  If Bristol were to play and win, then that would set the cat right amongst the pigeons.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »

Why on earth would anyone want to forfeit..we have many front line players as proven against Sarries, who would love to be involved in a final.
Never heard the like..

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
Seedlings come down to league positions. That’s what happened in the other leagues.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »
It was always too much like a fairy tale to come true,  wasn't it.  Sadly, the glass slipper got dropped and the pumpkin got sat on - but it's no-one's fault; just horribly bad luck.  It doesn't detract one iota from the fantastic  achievement of  the players and the support staff.  A few years ago  the 7s team were unexpectedly runners-up; the following year they won.  Hopefully, history will repeat itself next year.  Thank you to all the Wasp  Squad;  you are totally brilliant and should have got your due reward. 

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2020, 04:00:01 PM »
Seedlings come down to league positions. That’s what happened in the other leagues.

It did in France as they didn't complete the season so no playoffs took place, but under normal circumstances it is 100% based on playoff performance.  Seeds 1 and 2 are the finalists regardless of league position, with the losing semifinalists seeded 3rd/4th.  Hence why Leinster and Ulster are top seeds, having contested the final.  The fact that Edinburgh won their conference counts for nowt.

Wasps should be seeded in the top 2 alongside Exeter, not because we finished 2nd, but because we won the semi.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
Racing 92 would have been France's top seed had they won on Saturday. As it is they're now the third seed as that's where they were in the table when the season was halted

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
As far as I am concerned if we have too forfeit give the trophy to Exeter, they finished well in front anyway. Bristol were well beaten by us in the Semi Final  and if fit was the other way round I would not want us to play in the final. Judging by the Bristol fans forum they feel the same as well, Just give it to Exeter.
One fan came up with a new name  "The Premiership Contractual Final".
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:21:38 PM by Nrgee »

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »

Why on earth would anyone want to forfeit..we have many front line players as proven against Sarries, who would love to be involved in a final.
Never heard the like..
At the minute I wouldn't,depends how many positive tests their are on Wednesday.
Pulling Bristol in is wrong on just about every level.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »
The PRL whould probably have a play off if they could sell it to TV.