Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Times - sky sports to review rugby personnel  (Read 1526 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Times - sky sports to review rugby personnel
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »

The Times are running an article saying that sky sports are reviewing all of their rugby talent, with their highlight being that Will Greenwood's role is under threat.

I don't subscribe so can't see the whole article, but I didn't see any mention of Stuart Barnes which is where I'd start

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Times - sky sports to review rugby personnel
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »

The Times are running an article saying that sky sports are reviewing all of their rugby talent, with their highlight being that Will Greenwood's role is under threat.

I don't subscribe so can't see the whole article, but I didn't see any mention of Stuart Barnes which is where I'd start

If they are only reviewing talent then Barnes is safe!  ;)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:43:11 PM »
I do find Greenwood annoying but not sure why. Barnes just gets lots of things wrong. I suspect we might see Haskell pop up.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »

Sky Sports may be forced to kick Will Greenwood into touch

Sky Sports’ rugby union talent, including Will Greenwood, are facing the prospect of having their contracts terminated or not renewed after the broadcaster launched a consultation process for those covering the sport.

Sky’s rugby team — including the former England centre Greenwood and chief commentator Miles Harrison plus the producers — have been informed that the process is under way. Most of the other star names sometimes used are not on contracts and should not be impacted.

The move is an immediate consequence of Sky being outbid by Amazon for the autumn internationals, some of which are also being shown by Channel 4. It effectively means the satellite broadcaster has no domestic or British-focused rugby union to show until next summer’s British & Irish Lions Tour to South Africa.

It is understood that Sky may still use the likes of Greenwood to present coverage of that tour but under a different contractual arrangement. Sky Sports are likely to make other jobs redundant, some of them as a result of the Covid pandemic with some make-up artists and set-design staff expected to leave. The dramatic reduction in the number of guests coming into the studios means the broadcaster is now simply over-staffed.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
I think Sky's rugby coverage has been tored and dire for a long time now.  I don't like Greenwood contribution to the team and as for Barnes.......  Pompous and he gets things wrong.  Still suffers from the chip on his shoulder about Rob Andrews IMHO.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 04:14:34 PM »
I do find Greenwood annoying but not sure why. Barnes just gets lots of things wrong. I suspect we might see Haskell pop up.

My only problem with greenwood is that he seems to think his job is to use words that are as long as possible.
Other than that, I have no problem with him.

But maybe that would change if they got rid of Barnes. He makes anyone seem interesting and competent

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

If they are only reviewing talent then Barnes is safe!  ;)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:35:26 PM »
I'd be very happy to never have to listen to Barnes again.

Having just got the new oculus quest 2, i plan on potentially watching the games on Amazon Prime on it. Basically like being in the cinema.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »

My only problem with greenwood is that he seems to think his job is to use words that are as long as possible.
Other than that, I have no problem with him.

But maybe that would change if they got rid of Barnes. He makes anyone seem interesting and competent

hopwood

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »
Will Greenwood used to be interesting to listen to and measured and calm.

But since the majority of rugby went to BT, he’s been coached to be more manic, more crazed and trying too hard.
To add sensationalism.
But that’s just not him.

I don’t like his offering these days.

And Barnes needs to go.