Always a Wasp

Author Topic: SWOT analysis ahead of Gallagher Premiership 2020/21 kick off  (Read 1687 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SWOT analysis ahead of Gallagher Premiership 2020/21 kick off
« on: November 10, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-gallagher-premiership-19253604

Players are due back in for training on Thursday.

First game Wasps v Briz - Sunday 22.11.20. KO 1300

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: SWOT analysis ahead of Gallagher Premiership 2020/21 kick off
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »
That article says Levi Douglas is still on the books. I thought he'd been let go?

He's listed in the squad on the official site, but that's no help, it still lists Myles Edwards & TJ Harris!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »
That article says Levi Douglas is still on the books. I thought he'd been let go?

Maybe Miles Edwards didn't match up to Levi Douglas in training which may explain the retention and letting go decision. But whatever happened we needed 1 of them.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
Pretty much in agreement with BB. At the moment I think the strengths and opportunities far outweigh the weaknesses and threats. I'd emphasise our abundance of academy products at a very high quality as more of a strength. I know what he's saying about the centres but in theory we still start with Gopperth and De Jongh.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »
Looking at those we are missing to internationals, obviously some big boots to fill, but apart from lock, we're pretty well stocked.

Front row at full strength and well covered in the event of injury too.
Jack's a massive loss, but a back row of Shields, Young, T Willis with Barbeary on the bench is still very strong
Velacott looks great and for me not such a step down from Dan.  Wolstenholmee/Porter provide decent enough cover
Lima back at 10, finally with the opportunity to get a few games with Jimmy at 12.  Could go well.  Atkinson to get more opportunities.
Fekitoa's injury is a big blow, but JDJ/MLB have deputised well in the past.  After 2nd row, this is where we will feel the pinch most I think.  Opportunity for Spink too.
Back 3 will likely just see Watson come in at FB for Minozzi.  Sirker may finally get a chance to show what he can do too.

Overall not too shabby at all as things stand.  But if injuries begin to mount then certain positions could start looking pretty threadbare quite quickly.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »
Biggest concern for me is second row .fingers crossed S&C going well to negate silly strains/muscle tears .

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 05:01:52 PM »
someone from the club must have read my post because Miles Edwards & TJ Harris have been removed from the squad web page.

But Levi Douglas is still there so have to assume he's with us for the coming season.

Nice one.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »
I was quite impressed when I saw Levi come off the bench in one of the last few games of the season. Seemed to enjoy putting himself about. Glad to hear he's still with us.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 09:04:35 AM »
Good summary from Bobby.

As an old prop, I really like our front row prospects - having quality at prop and hooker means there are no easy "gives" for any other teams and it means one level of pressure removed from the team. Even at my lowly level, if we were on top/parity in the front row, the team usually played better.

I hope Lima gets some game time at 10 and provides some alternatives to Jimmy and Jacob starting in the shirt. It's going to be a long season and I hope Jacob gets to play for England and not just be pissed about with in the squad. He's better off leading our backline.

One area that I hope is resolved - as it's an opportunity for us - is the reffing of the breakdown. We have players with good judgement and skills and it's to our advantage if the Laws are applied - so it looks more like the reffing in M10. It makes for a faster game too - also to our advantage.

Another area of opportunity is any additional step up in our defence. A Wasps team with a great front row and quality defence is one that will have the confidence to play like we'd prefer - ball in hand.....