Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tony Rowe thinks England have to much player access  (Read 2608 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Rowe thinks England have to much player access
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 04:56:49 PM »
I think it was Ugo Monye who came up with the idea of playing rounds that usually clash with test matches midweek so that clubs stop trying to compete with internationals. I think it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the next issue is then money, what would the (normal times) gate and hospitality be for Wasps v Newcastle (as an example) on a Wednesday night in December after the autumn internationals?

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
I think it was Ugo Monye who came up with the idea of playing rounds that usually clash with test matches midweek so that clubs stop trying to compete with internationals. I think it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose the next issue is then money, what would the (normal times) gate and hospitality be for Wasps v Newcastle (as an example) on a Wednesday night in December after the autumn internationals?

If we had mid week games I would have to let my season ticket go.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »
Personally don't think midweek games are the answer but we have a long close season that could be shortened. As paying customers fans want to see the best on offer. So shut the league down during the 6N, get rid of the Anglo cup, extend the season by two weeks at the start and four at the end. Most players get a rest, the lottery of international call ups don't have such a big impact on the league and the fans see stronger sides. Low league gates due to internationals are avoided also.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 09:54:50 PM »
It is the release of players not playing that bugs me. I don't mind some overlap, and always enjoy the fan village on international days. For Wales England this year we went to Coventry Welsh, though. Soccer has a mad, mad Christmas schedule, remember, so although it has no international overlap the players are shattered by the end of year.
The issue for me is we can lose players for weeks who never put their boots on in anger.
This year it is different, and the overlap is nuts, but we have some super youngsters who will take opportunity with both hands.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
Midweek games would mean more money needed from the RFU, but personally I would like it because we then would have more squad players in the 23 from all teams, and that is IMO really positive.