Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Why Is It That Hookers (now) Throw in at the Lineout?  (Read 1150 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Why Is It That Hookers (now) Throw in at the Lineout?
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
When I played 50 years ago, the lineout was a different animal - lifting was illegal and it was usually the wing three quarter who threw the ball in. There wasn't much in the way of gaps. I still think, in some cases at least, that someone other than the hooker should be throwing in. Basically, on average, hookers are IMO too short. They have to get the ball over some pretty lofty obstructions to reach their target and they may not even be the best throwers. As an ex hooker, I am very glad that I did not have to throw the ball in. I stood at no. 1 and loved the stramash that was the lineout.

Just a suggestion: why not have different throwers for different situations. For instance, and I am not in any way blaming Gaby for our missed lineout, if you have Josh who is a good bit taller and has taken a few long throws already. Then when the situation presents itself, have Josh throw short and confuse the oppo who may think he is going to take a long one again and have prepared themselves accordingly. Easy enough to be an armchair quarterback ??? I'd be interested to hear others' views.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why Is It That Hookers (now) Throw in at the Lineout?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:03:05 PM »
Strangely agree. I used to throw javelin at school and despite being a multi- use forward I threw in at line outs based on the supposed fact I could throw straight. This continued until a growth spurt put me in the second row and I had to jump. Brings back memories of jumping practice - bonkers nowadays.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
When I was at school John Dawes used to insist that we could all throw-in (including the scrum-half), and would mix it up during matches.

Brilliant tactic - confused the hell out of opposition schools.

However he never used it at London Welsh!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
Question of best usage I guess. You want your backs in the backline, because they have the pace and ability to take most advantage of it. You want your tallest options generally leaping, since that's where height and explosiveness is more important. With all that said, you still want a skillful player throwing in, so they can take it at the back of the maul or similar.

Perhaps a flanker could be the better option, in, amusingly, the Ashley Johnson mould.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
When I first played rugby at school I was a winger and threw in at lineouts.

I once scored a try directly from a lineout on the 22. I lobbed the ball to the back and everyone missed it but as I ran round in support it bounced directly into my arms and I ran straight through and scored.

After years playing in different positions I ended up at hooker so still throwing in now.