Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pay Per View  (Read 1790 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Pay Per View
« on: October 30, 2020, 03:27:22 PM »
With no end in sight for non attendance at games what will happen next season?

Whilst it would be great for all games to be televised (for those with right packages) as has happened since lockdown I can’t see this happening in the future,because unless clubs get extra income there could be no games to put on.

Despite the protests re pay per view at £15 per football game it’s been reported that these have averaged at around 39,000 subscriptions per game with the best attracting 70/80000.

Personally if I knew that the majority of my PPV fee was going to my club I would be happy to pay. And if it could be included in a season ticket package so PPV until crowds allowed back may help clubs further.

The only downside I can see is the longer this goes on the more we get used to it ,and may demand it continue when it gets back to normal, with smaller crowds at games.

Would you be happy to pay?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Pay Per View
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »
No, because I tend to watch every televised game, not just Wasps. So i'm happy with my setup. I also think this model would damage the league as I don't think it has the die hards that football does, some footy fans would sell their grandmother for a branded key fob.

I would be happy to purchase a season ticket regardless of whether I could attend or not if it helped the club out.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
Me too.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
I was having a look at the BT website earlier as there is a page with all the live sport coming up. They list all Premiership matches as being either live on the main channels for Rounds 1 and 3. I presume Round 2 just hasn't been loaded onto the page yet.

https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/whats-on

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »
A wasps only ppv model? For me the issue is I already pay for sports channels. To introduce this long term without warning would leave a lot of people paying twice. BT is not a bad deal, but if you start slicing bits off as ppv then it becomes worse. I would not pay to watch other teams, but like the fact I can under current arrangements.  I am dreading the future of sports TV, increasingly fragmented between broadcasters.  There is something to be said for a monopoly or duopoly- it is all in one place.

I believe the ppv model is going from football according to recent reports. It upset a lot of fan groups.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
I was surprised by the figures claimed to have paid PPV football as I haven’t come across anybody who says they have done it.

However as a short term solution until crowds are allowed back it would give clubs some valuable income,though as Marleywasp has pointed out most games are being shown first weekend.Only one I couldn’t  see was Sale ,so I guess it would be up to them if they wanted to pay extra.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
WRT the upcoming autumn tournament, I note that all games will be shown on Amazon Prime Video. Does anyone know how that works? e.g. if I sign up for a month's free trial of Prime, do I get to see the games without any further payment or set up?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
Yes you can sign up for their free trial,should cover all the England games.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »

...and useful timing for xmas shopping in lockdown too.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »

Thank you!