Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Community rugby leagues cancelled  (Read 2189 times)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Community rugby leagues cancelled
« on: October 30, 2020, 07:17:59 PM »
All leagues below championship for men and premiership for women cancelled for 20/21 season.

Unfortunately predictable but going to be really hard for community clubs to retain players and balance finances.

Tough times for grassroots so if you can support your local club in some way over the next few months.

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Community rugby leagues cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »
If level 2 got cancelled as well............................!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:46:10 PM »
All leagues below championship for men and premiership for women cancelled for 20/21 season.

Unfortunately predictable but going to be really hard for community clubs to retain players and balance finances.

Tough times for grassroots so if you can support your local club in some way over the next few months.

So tough on all those fantastic community clubs, and for player development generally.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 12:49:40 AM »
If the Championship gets cancelled as well, will that effectively ringfence the Prem next season. An extra season without the Barnet Realtors would be the platinum lining to that cloud!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 07:24:43 AM »
If the Championship gets cancelled as well, will that effectively ringfence the Prem next season. An extra season without the Barnet Realtors would be the platinum lining to that cloud!

I think it is highly likely that decision will be made. I suspect it is being 'negotiated' at the moment, with all but one or two clubs in agreement.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 07:43:09 AM »

So tough on all those fantastic community clubs, and for player development generally.

It goes a lot deeper than that. On his latest Full Contact podcast Brian Moore talks to a club coach about the first lockdown. He got phone calls from parents saying their sons were locking themselves away and asking him to call them. He said as soon as they could they got them out training, even if was social distanced, and their moods lightened. Brian said he saw something similar with his daughters.

Multiply that mental health problem by all sports clubs and it really is a serious long term problem.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »

It goes a lot deeper than that. On his latest Full Contact podcast Brian Moore talks to a club coach about the first lockdown. He got phone calls from parents saying their sons were locking themselves away and asking him to call them. He said as soon as they could they got them out training, even if was social distanced, and their moods lightened. Brian said he saw something similar with his daughters.

Multiply that mental health problem by all sports clubs and it really is a serious long term problem.

It's a massive challenge for me as a parent, teacher and coach at the moment.

I have them training once a week at the moment within the RFU guidelines, as u13s like all age groups that do contact games they are desperate to get back to that with Ready4Rugby no long term substitute.

I then have to balance that with the other priorities of making sure they (and my son) can go to school and so their parents (and me) can go to work.

All made particularly difficult by junior football basically being back to normal and rugby league at most age groups near to normal.

I hope that soon there will be an adapted game for all age groups similar to the women's premiership rules or men's superleague but fear that the wider health situation might prohibit that.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 09:23:42 AM »

I reckon Saracens will basically buy their way back into the premiership if the championship is cancelled.

Literally offer PRL millions of pounds to move to a 14 club ring fenced League, maybe 2 conferences like the Celts. All the clubs need the money and the Saracens lads are loaded.

PRL could even pretend it's just temporary, given the extraordinary circumstances, but then it never changes back...

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 09:34:14 AM »
With prediction of national lockdown will Premiership get delayed anyway?

If it does can see championship being cancelled.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
With prediction of national lockdown will Premiership get delayed anyway?

If it does can see championship being cancelled.

'Elite' sport is still open, so I guess that means the Championship will be closed for now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 09:35:26 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
I think it is highly likely that decision will be made. I suspect it is being 'negotiated' at the moment, with all but one or two clubs in agreement.

You must have had your crystal ball! Any chance of predicting this week's lottery numbers too?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
And don't forget CVC have roughly 1/3rd voting power (presumably), so CVC would only need 3 or 4 clubs to get things agreed and this might also apply with ongoing negotiations about other matters.