Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 8 nations cup  (Read 3780 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
8 nations cup
« on: November 11, 2020, 09:19:00 AM »
Whilst looking forward to some rugby this weekend, I must admit am failing to get too excited about this,especially as it will clash with opening of Premiership season.

The Fiji games may be interesting to watch, purely because it’s a different team.

However the only one I’m looking forward to seeing, assuming it falls to form , will be Georgia v Italy in the 4th place ‘playoff’ Hopefully Georgia will have enough left at that stage to make a case for inclusion in 6 nations or possibly a 2 division Europe international competition.

MarleyWasp

Re: 8 nations cup
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
Georgia aren't in Italy's pool. They may play each other in the final round if Italy fail to win a game.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »
Georgia aren't in Italy's pool. They may play each other in the final round if Italy fail to win a game.

Hence "...assuming it falls to form , will be Georgia v Italy in the 4th place ‘playoff’" as if results follow current rankings, then Italy and Georgia will finish up playing off for the wooden spoon.

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »
There is always Red Roses game on BBC2 Sat if you are looking for a game played with sporting attitude, respect and honesty!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
There is always Red Roses game on BBC2 Sat if you are looking for a game played with sporting attitude, respect and honesty!

I thought all women's internationals were covid cancelled.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
The only excitement I have for next few England games is new combinations and ideas. I'm obviously hoping Willis is capped, but also other players getting opportunities. Seeing the same England team play feels meaningless since the world cup for me. But that's my problem.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »
The only excitement I have for next few England games is new combinations and ideas. I'm obviously hoping Willis is capped, but also other players getting opportunities. Seeing the same England team play feels meaningless since the world cup for me. But that's my problem.

Mine too!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:24 PM »

Let's hope that something more ambition than the Italy game's kick and chase strategy is employed......

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »

I thought all women's internationals were covid cancelled.

The remaining women’s six nations games were cancelled,but Saturday is one of two test against france

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Seeing the same England team play feels meaningless since the world cup for me. But that's my problem

Its like being on the wagon for 2 weeks and knowing that at the end of it all you've got to look forward is a bottle of cheap red wine.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 02:57:19 PM »
Might be a case of having the bottle first to make it seem like it was a good game

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »
Even if Georgia beat Italy I don't think that is sufficient to make their case.

When Italy joined the 5N they had already beaten some of the home nations. Now only England, Australia and the All Blacks haven't lost to Italy.

Georgia has yet to beat any of the 6N or the 4N

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »
Even if Georgia beat Italy I don't think that is sufficient to make their case.

When Italy joined the 5N they had already beaten some of the home nations. Now only England, Australia and the All Blacks haven't lost to Italy.

Georgia has yet to beat any of the 6N or the 4N

Georgia have won exactly the same number of 6N matches in the past 5 years as Italy.  In fact, come to mention it, so have my son's under 8s! :)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »
Italy have gone backwards in recent times whereas in years gone by they were competitive they are now perennial Wooden Spoon receivers.

I don't see any reason why the bottom team from the 6 nations shouldn't be replaced by the top team in Europes 2nd tier competition each year.

Ok one nation will lose out big time financially for that season but conversely another nation will earn much needed revenue to help grow the sport in their country.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Threat of relegation would certainly concentrate the mind ,even if it came to a playoff .

Would generate a lot more interest and develop teams over Europe. I read somewhere that a match between Georgia and Russia can attract a crowd of around 50,000. Could be Putin bulls**t of course, isn’t there talk of them bidding for RWC?