Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jack Rested?  (Read 5173 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Jack Rested?
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Rested?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:16:31 AM »
Strange article . Almost a throwaway comment by Jack.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
Is that Jack's lot for this series of games? Released back to the club means that he is out of the England bubble. If so, a big bonus for Wasps.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
Two aspects for me, anyway. Firstly, it would be a bonus for Wasps, obviously, as the leader of our turnover count. But, secondly, it might suggest that England are going down the dull route of playing three SR's more often in the Autumn series and possibly beyond

May well be guilty of reading too much into the story. But if England start BV and Maro in the backrow again, England really are looking rather one dimensional.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »
I wouldn't read any plan into this.  Eddie Jones is famous for trying different things and my bet is that, if he goes with 3 SR's, he is just experimenting and seeing what players can do in different positions.  What better time to try things than in these meaningless matches.  Having said that, I wish he would try something different in the backs.  I think he missed a chance to do that against Georgia.  Maybe Ireland match isn't the best place to do it!!!!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
Thing is - he's played three SRs several times and its usually Maro - I wasn't sure what he learned from the w/e. If the game moves towards how it's being played and reffed in the SH you'd probably want to start Willis, Earls and Curry or similar.

And 100% - sure it was wet and windy, but once you've scored several tries - then it was an opportunity to look at some backs moves. Vs Ireland I can see a large pack being picked to start and nothing of interest in the backs.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
It's usually Lawes, which doesn't work because Lawes is poor at the breakdown. Maro works far better there, but then you lose his power in the scrum, and I'd still rather have Curry and Underhill on the flankers. If however you have Curry and Willis/Underhill at 7/8, then Maro at 6 could work.

In the England video you can see Jack rubbing his quad and looking in a bit of pain at half time, I wonder if he picked up a knock.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
Maro can play anywhere pretty well, but for me, I want probably one of the top 4 SRs at SR providing the power and have three backrowers who do the job day in, day out.

And that was emphasised for me in our win vs Sarries when regardless of Billy and Maro (and George and other big names) being part of their pack, it was our mobility that caught them out. And however good you are as a SR playing as a 6 (I know Maro wasn't vs us...) you aren't as good as Curry x 2 or Earl or Willis x 2 or any number of others.

It made little difference if Lawes was 6 as it was only at scrum time that the number made any difference. Maro plays "like a flanker" having pushed or jumped, it's just that the policy leaves you one flanker down. And as for the game vs Georgia, with Billy in slo mo, and Maro as extra SR, Jack was virtually having to operate as a sole back rower.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 12:11:20 PM »
Maro can play anywhere pretty well, but for me, I want probably one of the top 4 SRs at SR providing the power and have three backrowers who do the job day in, day out.

And that was emphasised for me in our win vs Sarries when regardless of Billy and Maro (and George and other big names) being part of their pack, it was our mobility that caught them out. And however good you are as a SR playing as a 6 (I know Maro wasn't vs us...) you aren't as good as Curry x 2 or Earl or Willis x 2 or any number of others.

It made little difference if Lawes was 6 as it was only at scrum time that the number made any difference. Maro plays "like a flanker" having pushed or jumped, it's just that the policy leaves you one flanker down. And as for the game vs Georgia, with Billy in slo mo, and Maro as extra SR, Jack was virtually having to operate as a sole back rower.

Lawes replacing another 2nd row isn't awful though, because whilst we miss out in the breakdown, it's not too terrible. Lawes replacing a backrow is a very large drop. Maro replacing a backrow player is really not a large drop at all. Given our depth at lock, it may not be terrible. Equally, we have good depth at flanker too, though perhaps not 8. Personally I'd like to see Willis, Curry and Underhill in the backrow together. Not too fussed if it's Willis or Curry at 8.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »
Personally I'd like to see Willis, Curry and Underhill in the backrow together. Not too fussed if it's Willis or Curry at 8.

Me too. Enough ball in hand and all over the breakdown like a rash. That said, I thought Curry a little off the boil vs Italy, but he's earned his place over time.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
“England Rugby squad announcement: Jack Willis released ahead of Ireland match”

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/england-rugby-squad-ireland-announcement-19296962.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Gutted for him, moreso that Blackett has said there’s no guarantee he’d be picked for the Bristol game.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
And Jacob.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 05:25:00 PM »
Umaga released as well ,Blackett anticipated this but I think surprised by Willis’ release , as it seems sporting press.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 05:45:54 PM »
Interesting.

How to deflate a youngster the Eddie Way.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 05:55:31 PM »
From Planet Rugby

https://www.planetrugby.com/jack-willis-dropped-by-england-for-ireland-game-in-the-autumn-nations-cup/

Seems that Ben Earl is still in the squad as is Ludlam......Must be useful to be a Sarries on loan then - though what Ludlam has brought to the party, I don't know.