Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Not the NotNots Just the Nots  (Read 1132 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Not the NotNots Just the Nots
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »
Today London Irish play their first home match in London since the combined Richmond/London Scottish/London Irish turned professional under the name "London Irish".

First Rugby match at the new Brentford Sadium, which is only 4 miles from the Stoop -  and people were worried that Wasps were moving too close to Leicester! (21 miles)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Not the NotNots Just the Nots
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:33 AM »
Good luck to them. It's an area I used to live in and its a pretty busy 4m !

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »
In TRP today LI chairman Allan Robson is hoping for crowds of around 11,000. Guess they will( once we get back to normal) do as wasps did, offer free tickets etc to get interest going .

Does anyone know if they had any resentment from any Irish fans who have supported them from the Reading area? I hear there are Brentford supporters who are not happy at the ground share.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »
Does anyone know if they had any resentment from any Irish fans who have supported them from the Reading area? I hear there are Brentford supporters who are not happy at the ground share.

I know they've been in Reading for a long time, but they have remained London Irish, and have been playing in a rented stadium while continuing to train in Sunbury, so a move back to London can't have come as that much of a shock.  Both grounds are within sight of the M4, so not a particularly arduous journey (Compared to Sudbury to Coventry via Shepherd's Bush and High Wycombe for example!) and the Brentford site is much better served by public transport than the Mad Stad.

I can fully understand Brentford fans' reservations about the state of the pitch with a rugby team carving up their immaculate, brand new playing surface every other week, but I guess the commercial benefits outweighed them.  Not sure what the pitch composition is, and too early to know how well it will hold up.

And on the thread title, Irish have obligingly replaced the one "Not" element of their nickname with George Nott in their second row.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:07:44 AM by DGP Wasp »