Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brentford Stadium  (Read 2503 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Brentford Stadium
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 11:28:55 PM »
Enjoyed the game, stadium looks good

Another poor reffing performance at tackle/breakdown - led to slow, slow ball and too often, resulting in a slow, slow game.
Really? I thought it was combative and the players dictated the game speed. Wigglesworth has never created quick ball, he sets for an age before he boxkicks...which was surprisingly bad today.
Obvious things missed aside, i though it was reffed ok.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brentford Stadium
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »
Ok - I'll agree to disagree. The breakdown wasn't for me, reffed to the Laws, allowing challenges for the ball which are specifically sanctioned in the Laws. It was this aspect of slow ball (i.e. its availability) rather than the use of ball by the players.

The issue for me is that if the ref allows a contest for the ball, with hands, once it's a ruck - it is contrary to the Laws and the consequence is slower ball and also I believe it makes the breakdown more hazardous

General reffing was ok. Nothing particularly controversial. But I'll admit to being a Law 14 and 15 enforcement nerd and that's my focus. Reason being is that with such well organised defences - I think you need fast ball to stress the defences. Also at the tackle, playing per Laws 14 and 15 seems positive for player welfare - reducing the risks associated with "clear outs"