Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie and Jacob return  (Read 1869 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Alfie and Jacob return
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:56:30 PM »
From a Wasps perspective, that has to be good news.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
From a Wasps perspective, that has to be good news.

I think it’s good all round. At least both will now know they are on the Eddie’s ‘radar’ which will be a massive motivator to continue to develop and up their game. They’re both young lads and should have very bright futures - for both club and country.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
Good news.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
They can still get two days of solid preparation for Saturdays game which is crucial as I was worried they would be cut loose by Eddie tomorrow leaving only one days training with Wasps.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »
I think it’s good all round. At least both will now know they are on the Eddie’s ‘radar’ which will be a massive motivator to continue to develop and up their game. They’re both young lads and should have very bright futures - for both club and country.

I'm not sure about the "radar" thing. Over the years EJ has had huge churn through his 30+ training squads, but keeps his actual playing 23 quite stable in comparison. In fact much more often than not, players that have been involved in training squads without getting any game time end up falling away from the system without ever getting any game time (e.g. Smith, Redpath), or being relegated to injury cover (e.g. Robbo). If I were a young player I wouldn't try to project training squad involvement as a sign of better things to come, but rather focus on the short term benefit of being exposed to the highest standards and the best game analysis and just try to learn as much as possible from that to keep improving. There are definitely positives to take, I don't think Jones is doing anything bad or wrong here, I think he is aiming to seed the knowledge/understanding of elite standards throughout the next layer of English rugby - which will be to our long term benefit.

Marcus Smith has been through the same process, I don't think it's right to conclude that Umaga is ahead of Smith in the pecking order right now - were there to be a long term injury to Ford or Farrell. I personally doubt Umaga will ever play 10 for England, but I do see a possible future for him at 12 after the next RWC if, as I suspect, he moves there for Wasps. 

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
Surprised they haven't held on to Barbeary, if only as back up should a hooker get injured in the warm up. But also received to have them back!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »
If George or Cowan-Dickie break then I think Tom Dunn's phone will be ringing before Alfie's. 

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
Tom Dunn is a more experienced international.  After all he has 2 caps and played a total of 2 minutes!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
Tom Dunn is a more experienced international.  After all he has 2 caps and played a total of 2 minutes!
And it took him 3 years from first getting called to an England training camp to get those!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
IMO, & as I am not an international coach, its an uninformed opinion, this is how I see it.
Eddie get players he likes the look of into camp. When he sees them close up in training & in meetings etc, some he likes ,some he doesn't. Some will not get picked again, some may get some game time off the bench, some may get dropped straight into the team. Some may get picked after a period of time working on improving in ways Eddie has asked them to.

Take Marcus Smith as an example. He was brought into camp as an "apprentice" for what ever reason Eddie didnt rate him so he hasnt appeared again. Given his penchant for "solid" 10s who play the percentages you can see why, like Cips, Smith wouldn't be Eddies type of player. I can't imagine either Ford or Farrell scoring that lovely try Smith scored against Wasps last season, can you?

An example of the positive use of apprentice training camp attendance would be Daly. Lancaster had him in camp long before he was ready. He made several bench appearances (memorably as no 8!) before establishing himself as a starter.

I could see Umaga getting international games, as he is much more considered 10 that Smith or Cips. He may well be able to play the way Eddie wants, time will tell.

As for whether is "right" or "wrong", only the coach & the players know that.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
I suspect Eddie plays mind games when picking and dropping players from squads, to see if they have the mental resilience required and the ability to improve on their work ons.