Always a Wasp

Author Topic: January approaching.  (Read 6048 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
January approaching.
« on: December 07, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
Slightly odd timing but nevertheless January approaches. Two questions;
1) Do you think we'll see many incoming players.
2) If you could have two or three which positions would you recruit to.
For me I think we might see one or two.
I personally think we need a 10, a quality lock and a 13 as understudy to MF. I don't see JG or LS doing much at 10 going forwards. I really like the look of Atkinson but it's early for him. De Jonghs form has worried me. Odogwu has done well but not sure he's long term. Our issues at lock are currently being exposed and it feels like WR and TC could be departing. Of course in the current climate not a lot of cash is going to be splashed. Going to have to be done clever recruitment.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: January approaching.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:31:24 PM »
I just posted in your other thread that we'll need a #2 10 and I don't want to dip into the market for another Searle..early or not, I'd like to develop Atkinson, not waste another year on a Searle type player that with respect, wasn't up to it and didn't have any connection to the club. Maybe Atkinson fills at 15 a few times, but he'll need exposure.

I'd also like Miller to get exposure to 12 rather than bench warming and agree a 13, we have boys in the ranks but they always seem injured? If Rowland goes then def a lock, haven't seen anything from Levi that makes me think he's the replacement guy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:35:45 PM by Hymenoptera »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
It's Football that has a winter transfer period.
All we can hope for is some names outward and inward announced for next season (21/22).
Although it doesn't seem to stop various teams bringing in copious numbers of saffers.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:40:06 PM »
Traditionally you can approach players in Jan with contracts expiring in June..i don't believe anything has changed in this regard.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 06:57:04 PM »
Personally I think Odogwu has the makings of a good 13, he has the size and power, looks like he can take a knock and can defend. His acceleration from a standing start is super impressive, and has good hands. With regard the other positions, we need second row cover and a good quality 10, I have been massively patient with Lima but he seems to underwhelm regardless, the Flacons epitomised that...and he will leave at the end of his contract, for Japan I expect. Is Sirker wedded to the wing or has he played elsewhere in the back line?
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »
Personally I think Odogwu has the makings of a good 13, he has the size and power, looks like he can take a knock and can defend. His acceleration from a standing start is super impressive, and has good hands. With regard the other positions, we need second row cover and a good quality 10, I have been massively patient with Lima but he seems to underwhelm regardless, the Flacons epitomised that...and he will leave at the end of his contract, for Japan I expect. Is Sirker wedded to the wing or has he played elsewhere in the back line?

Who knows about Sirker? Only seen him as a sevens player. Can he tackle a monster forward?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 07:16:29 PM »
All we can hope for is some names outward and inward announced for next season (21/22).
Although it doesn't seem to stop various teams bringing in copious numbers of saffers.
Appreciate we won't physically see anyone appearing but January is traditionally the time deals are struck/announced.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
Appreciate we won't physically see anyone appearing but January is traditionally the time deals are struck/announced.

Yes - what i was trying to say.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 07:30:30 PM »
I just posted in your other thread that we'll need a #2 10 and I don't want to dip into the market for another Searle..early or not, I'd like to develop Atkinson, not waste another year on a Searle type player that with respect, wasn't up to it and didn't have any connection to the club. Maybe Atkinson fills at 15 a few times, but he'll need exposure.

I'd also like Miller to get exposure to 12 rather than bench warming and agree a 13, we have boys in the ranks but they always seem injured? If Rowland goes then def a lock, haven't seen anything from Levi that makes me think he's the replacement guy.
Agree re Atkinson  - without going OTT I think he could be a bit special. I suppose we could go in with him, Umaga and a mix of Miller and Mills covering. I can't envisage a scenario where Lima is here in 21/22. I'm not sure on Douglas - he doesn't seem to be a lineout option but he adds a bit of go forward - he's certainly not a Rowlands replacement.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »

Yes - what i was trying to say.
  :)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »

Agree re Atkinson  - without going OTT I think he could be a bit special. I suppose we could go in with him, Umaga and a mix of Miller and Mills covering. I can't envisage a scenario where Lima is here in 21/22. I'm not sure on Douglas - he doesn't seem to be a lineout option but he adds a bit of go forward - he's certainly not a Rowlands replacement.
I like what I have seen of Douglas, he is a bit of a weapon in the loose and looks up for it, I often feel Wasps lack those edgy players that the oppo is reluctant to take on.
It was fine when I left it.....

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »
I think with Fekitoa, JDJ and Odogwu we are well covered at 13.

With Umaga, Atkinson, Gopperth, Miller and Mills we have enough Fly Halfs.

We have enough back 3 players and scrum halfs.

We are secure in the front row so for me recruitment is needed in the 2nd row, back row and at inside centre I'm not saying these recruits will all be starters but all will need to be pushing hard to get in the team each week.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
I don't think we need too much, just need the players we have to play better.
I don't like Jimmy at 10, I admit, but long term Jacob is ten. Who would sign as no 2? Nobody who is good enough to challenge for his shirt. Better to have a player making his way in the position as back up,  with experienced players who can fill I which is what we have in Miller and Gopperth.

I think we do probably need another lock, but I am prepared to be talked out of it, and if WR goes make that 2. Gaskell's injury rate is a worry. Imagine signing a Wentzel type, but again, are there any?

Another 13, perhaps one who could also play 12 might be a long term option, as opposed to a 13 who covers wing. That said MF is the owner of the shirt, and who is going to come in knowing that?  Effectively that would replace JdJ, which might be on the cards sooner rather than later.

Maybe if Lima is off at the end of the year we could replace him with someone of Beale like abilities- a utility back who plays in a number of positions, which solves the issue of established players already owning the shirt in any one position. So swap a Lima for an overseas version of Malins or similar, a genuine play anywhere type of guy.  Can't  think who we could realistically get though. On last week you could swap Lima for practically anyone and get an improvement, sadly. I suspect he will go at the end of year and Jan will be the time to start looking, unless the cash is just swallowed up.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:45:04 PM by westwaleswasp »

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:02 AM »
Do we know whose out of contract at the end of the year bar Sops ?

As far as I am aware....

Rowlands
Sops
Myles Edwards (spare contract)
Cruse
Bassett
Brookes
Gaskell
Harris
Mcintyre
Le Bourgeois
Odogwu
Morris
Owlett
Taylor
Zhvania

So realistically we could see some turnover. Personally i wouldn't mind seeing Taylor, Bassett, Harris, Odogwu, Brookes stay.

Love Gaskell and Big Mac but very injury prone. (i realise Taylor & Brookes are too)

so there's going to be quite a lot of money to play with. If anyone see's any more on these players contracts then feel free to say but this is all i could see for players who didn't extend in that 15 player group, are academy or signed extensions recently.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
Look at the "stickie" at the top of the page to get the latest situation as far as this board is aware.