Always a Wasp

Author Topic: January approaching.  (Read 6047 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: January approaching.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 10:21:14 AM »
haha yep spotted this just after i sent that out. Apologies :)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
There has been no change in that January window date, and, in a normal season, Wasps would have announced who was staying in late October. We are rapidly heading for Christmas, so, based on the sticky list, anybody who is not announced, and anybody who signed 19/20, if on a two year deal (which is quite common with Wasps), could be leaving.

In the pack that is a lot to lose.

Of the front row players, two thirds could be off (8 of the 12)

Of the locks we are pretty sure Rowlands is off, but we again only have one third (2) secured, with 4 more to find.

The back row is a bit better, with two thirds secured. I can see Morris and Vailanu going if they are on two year deals. We could really do with 7 or eight back rowers anyway, not 6. So, for me, that leaves us needing to sign 3 or 4.

So, we could be looking for as many as 16 forwards.

Scrum half we have covered, with Monye coming through soon. I think Atkinson will do fine for a 10, with Millar as cover, so Lima leaving is not an issue.

Will Fekitoa stay? He must surely be on a 2 year deal, so could be off. I feel we are a little short somewhere in 13, wing and full back. I am thinking we have some younger players coming through though, so the backs are not so much of a concern.

The forwards is the big area of concern. Maybe Will Goodrick-Clarke will get a look in? Currently at Irish, but a relatively 'local' lad (I used to teach him, a bit of a 'lad', and his parents still live just down the road). If he signed with them for a two year deal, he will be free.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/37494/room-101-london-irish-prop-will-goodrick-clarke/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_o2GTS8h18

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
haha yep spotted this just after i sent that out. Apologies :)

No problem it is easy to miss.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »
There has been no change in that January window date, and, in a normal season, Wasps would have announced who was staying in late October. We are rapidly heading for Christmas, so, based on the sticky list, anybody who is not announced, and anybody who signed 19/20, if on a two year deal (which is quite common with Wasps), could be leaving.

In the pack that is a lot to lose.

Of the front row players, two thirds could be off (8 of the 12)

Of the locks we are pretty sure Rowlands is off, but we again only have one third (2) secured, with 4 more to find.

The back row is a bit better, with two thirds secured. I can see Morris and Vailanu going if they are on two year deals. We could really do with 7 or eight back rowers anyway, not 6. So, for me, that leaves us needing to sign 3 or 4.

So, we could be looking for as many as 16 forwards.

Scrum half we have covered, with Monye coming through soon. I think Atkinson will do fine for a 10, with Millar as cover, so Lima leaving is not an issue.

Will Fekitoa stay? He must surely be on a 2 year deal, so could be off. I feel we are a little short somewhere in 13, wing and full back. I am thinking we have some younger players coming through though, so the backs are not so much of a concern.

The forwards is the big area of concern. Maybe Will Goodrick-Clarke will get a look in? Currently at Irish, but a relatively 'local' lad (I used to teach him, a bit of a 'lad', and his parents still live just down the road). If he signed with them for a two year deal, he will be free.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/37494/room-101-london-irish-prop-will-goodrick-clarke/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_o2GTS8h18

It really depends on how long the new"extended" contracts are. I suspect some may not end this season.

Yes we need a spread of forwards but players like Bassett look out of contract which is a worry.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »
I think all the front towers will stay on, Zhvania must be a little miffed but I believe still in contract.

We undoubtedly need a first choice lock to replace Rowlands and to boss that pack when Launchbury is away - that might have to come from SA or Sale.
Backrow we’re light but have a lot of youth coming through and could also retain Caulfield so don’t think we’ll bring anyone in unless anyone is off - Vailanu perhaps.

10 is a risk, Sopoaga will be off, Jacob could be off with England more and do we risk a 19 year old being backed up by Gopps, Mills and Miller. Atkinson is class and it has worked for Quins blooding Smith so young but it is also a risk - a Dave Walder type signing could help for a few seasons.
Wonder if De Jongh might be off - not offering as much anymore and probably not that cheap. Spink must be the heir apparent but he needs to stay fit. Fekitoa should get some of Lima’s money to sign on for more.
Bassett needs to re-sign ASAP too

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Fekitoa is the key to the backline IMO and whatever it takes should be done to keep him.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
I'm sure Lee said we would not have much churn next season. We will extend everyone we want who is out of contract and most are likely to stay. Not sure any club will be in a position to pay better to tempt people away.

Gut feel is Lima, JDJ and Vailanu won't be offered and Rowlands will reluctantly leave if he is in Welsh plans.

Can see Atkinson and Curran being promoted and Odoguwu is like a new player at centre and can cover wing and maybe fullback too.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
The slight twist to the contracts is the change to the salary cap that was announced over the summer. The reduction in cap was largely counter-balanced by exempting 25% of any salary for an existing contract and I believe many clubs took the opportunity to extend existing contracts although not necessarily on the same terms. Just because Wasps didnt announce much doesnt mean they didnt add a year or 2 extra onto some of the short contracts for highly valued players

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
As far as I can tell the only 2 players we almost definitely won't keep are Rowlands and Sopoaga. Jimmy I think is staying but he's not immortal and his game time will have to start coming down. For me the long term vision is Attkinson 10 and Umaga 12 but 21/22 Attkinson will still be more of a bench option than ready to start big games so we will need at least one more utility back, but they don't need to be box office - Mills and Miller cover 10.

We do need a box-office second row though. Like everyone, I am absolutely gutted about WR leaving, it is so painful to lose home grown talent, especially as good as him. We don't have a rising star in the academy unless I've missed someone, so the alternatives are probably 1) get a massive Saffa or 2) rob a weaker club for a quality player. I don't know who is in or out of contract at other clubs but London Irish have a couple of cracking young players Ben Donnell and Chunya Munga - both of whom can cover lock and blindside, or Ted Hill at Worcester from Worcester, he'd be expensive but worth it. We need a player with proper first team potential here, we're not after squad fillers. I hate talking about robbing other players but we're losing our own home-grown talent due to forces beyond our control so what can we do? I don't mind getting a saffer if they are quality and committed players like Ash or Niz.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
I think we could see a few situations such as we did with the Cips/Sops deal. The longer they drag on, the more likely i think they will leave.

Bassett is a necessity for a resign and Taylor/Harris/Brookes for me would need resigning. Gaskell and Mac are always injured atm and i wonder if it is worth it. However, they both seem key social figures within the squad and cutting that could be a danger, you look at Exeter and you realise players want to stay because they love the social (family) feeling the team has.

Is there anyone out there from the Prem we could steal? If we lose bassett could we poach big joe from bath?. if Sops leaves what about Priestland?

Lots of players will be out of contract and looking to get a good deal.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
I'm not sure Sopoaga leaving is a given is it?
We don't know exactly what the revised contract he signed during the Covid situation was.

Within him there is a quality player, we see glimpses of it, unfortunately its only been glimpses, so sadly, although he seems like a top bloke, I don't think many would be that concerned if he did go.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »
I'm not sure Sopoaga leaving is a given is it?
We don't know exactly what the revised contract he signed during the Covid situation was.

Within him there is a quality player, we see glimpses of it, unfortunately its only been glimpses, so sadly, although he seems like a top bloke, I don't think many would be that concerned if he did go.

Don't think Lima was one of the extended contracts just his third year. There were rumours he was off to France but Covid intervened - not sure if true.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
My thought was, looking at the sticky thread, the number who signed in 19/20 for which there has been no announcement. Wasps tend to announce good news when they can, so contract extensions will have been announced (and indeed have been for some players) already. The omissions are worrying for me.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
I mean the issue here is a large amount of money is tied up in a player who really hasn't performed as expected. I think either way its time to cut it short and use the money more wisely.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2020, 02:58:34 PM »
Fekitoa is the key to the backline IMO and whatever it takes should be done to keep him.

Plus one! we are a better team with him down on the sheet. Better in offence, better in defence.
I think Brookes is also nearly a "must keep at all costs"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:01:02 PM by westwaleswasp »