Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Steve Thompson - Dementia  (Read 4429 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Thompson - Dementia
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »
Not only at pro level?

My main concern - reading the accounts from the various players - is that it wasn't the big impacts that did the big damage necessarily (obviously they could...) but the ongoing knocks. And that "normal" MRI scans don't spot the main problems associated with repetitive damage.

When I played, I was well known for being able to clash heads and carry on as if nothing happened - with the other player often laid out....I've been knocked out cold, twice and for other reasons ended up having a brain MRI...which showed some "small lesions"  which were not unexpected from a contact sport player...

Now, given my increasingly poor memory and forgetfulness....at only 58, it's a little worrying as to how widely such risks were spread from the activities that might have had an effect. I played rugby, I did winter sports and I did a lot of off road mountain biking and often fell off....It may well be that it's just me being lazy, being semi retired.....but I noticeably struggle with directions and names and am a bit more prone to mood swings - something I wasn't at home to 15 years ago.

Certainly it would be good to have an idea if this is material or not!

Problem is that in the past these symptoms have been attributed to other illnesses or just getting old. I certainly notice these ‘Senior’ moments and who didn’t have a granny similar to Cathrine Tate’s

My wife unfortunately has a condition known as Fahr syndrome , which I’ve noticed is getting to the
Dementia stage. Whilst they say it’s extremely rare, it’s only since mri scans , that they can identify it . Has probably been diagnosed as Parkinson’s, dementia or even stroke related in the past
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:14:08 PM by hookender »

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
I was knocked out for a few seconds playing for Drunken Wasps at Fat Blokes 7s after being tackled in the air. Also landed on head and shoulder, after a deliberate foul tackle as I chased my kick ahead, where all 3 ACL ligaments ruptured and I next remember being asked if I was OK on the touchline some 20m away.

That was over 15 years ago and in both cases I can clearly remember before and after. I've had a few minor head knocks since then but nearly all have been at rucks. Just last season I got one jackling the ball.

To my mind, the law interpretation regarding tackling and foul play has been relatively successful but needs to be applied rigorously and consistently. Players and coaches will comply if red cards are issued frequently. Forget killing the game as a spectacle, to avoid that keep tackling low.

However, my point is that breakdown safety is virtually non-existent and that is where repeated traumas will occur. Flying off feet is insane. Should be a red card every time but is becoming a bit more prevalent again.

The problem is that ruck law changed and has made them static. Formerly a tackled player had to release the ball immediately and handling it was illegal so it was played back with the feet. The most effective way of rucking was to drive over the ball, putting the opposition literally in the back foot and creating fast dynamic ball. NZ and Scotland in the 80s were very accomplished at it.

Law 15.3 still says 'Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips. Sanction: Free-kick.'
That means jackling is actually illegal.

Old fashioned rucking was abolished because players lying all over the ball preventing quick release got trampled on. It would be easy enough to yellow card them and reduce the prevalence and create more dynamic ball and enforce the current law. Head above hip ensures you see what's coming at you and keeps heads out if the way of the ball.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »

Problem is that in the past these symptoms have been attributed to other illnesses or just getting old. I certainly notice these ‘Senior’ moments and who didn’t have a granny similar to Cathrine Tate’s

My wife unfortunately has a condition known as Fahr syndrome , which I’ve noticed is getting to the
Dementia stage. Whilst they say it’s extremely rare, it’s only since mri scans , that they can identify it . Has probably been diagnosed as Parkinson’s, dementia or even stroke related in the past

Well, yes indeed. I am probably over reacting to a rather "difficult" last 38 months....which is how I ended up under the MRI. I'm sorry to hear about your wife - that's rough on both of you. I know my period of illness has been a pain for my wife....which is partly why I hope I'm over reacting as I wouldn't want to impose that on her.

I do think - like the footballers - that it was attributed to other things. And part of the issue will be that we're living longer. It's the contrast to my own dad that concerns me - he was sharp into his 80's and yet at 58, I've little memory of some big holidays to Canada and "events" I went to with my wife over the last 10 years...I just hope that I just need to do more and exercise the grey cells. I guess I'll find out.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »

Well, yes indeed. I am probably over reacting to a rather "difficult" last 38 months....which is how I ended up under the MRI. I'm sorry to hear about your wife - that's rough on both of you. I know my period of illness has been a pain for my wife....which is partly why I hope I'm over reacting as I wouldn't want to impose that on her.

I do think - like the footballers - that it was attributed to other things. And part of the issue will be that we're living longer. It's the contrast to my own dad that concerns me - he was sharp into his 80's and yet at 58, I've little memory of some big holidays to Canada and "events" I went to with my wife over the last 10 years...I just hope that I just need to do more and exercise the grey cells. I guess I'll find out.
Fingers crossed that your condition slows down . Certainly noticed my father (85 ) has been mentally quicker since doing sudoku puzzles etc.