Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Everyone's Thoughts on Atkinson?  (Read 2748 times)

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone's Thoughts on Atkinson?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
I thought Simons was listed as a 15? Are either he or Spink comfortable at 12?

I thought Spink was primarily a 12 (as opposed to a 13?)

I vaguely remember hearing Simonds could play at 12 or 15, and Spink was exclusively a 13. I remember Spink started against Saints in Prem Rugby Cup last year, he played 13 (double checked and yes he did).

I think he played 12 through the academy and pathway but I see him as more likely to be a 13 in the senior game. He is bigger than some of the 12s out there (Jimmy and Ryan Mills for a start), but I wouldn't have said he's a particularly physical centre, nor is he a second distributer type - he's more about pace and footwork and running angles. For me that's better deployed at 13. I think when he came on against Tigers he replaced Malakai so I assume he went to 13, although I have to admit I have a mental picture of him running in the 12 channel. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
From his Instagram Owain James is back form NZ, I wonder if he will come back to Wasps, I can't remember whether he left or went out on a loan?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
From his Instagram Owain James is back form NZ, I wonder if he will come back to Wasps, I can't remember whether he left or went out on a loan?

Believe he left, not on loan.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
he did indeed, this was what was said in March:

Wasps can confirm that back Owain James will leave the Club this week to pursue opportunities in New Zealand.

James joined Wasps as a 12-year-old as part of the Academy before joining the Senior Academy in 2015/16.

After making his first-team debut in November 2016, James was nominated for the 2017/18 Anglo-Welsh Cup Breakthrough Player Award but the 23-year-old has been restricted to just nine first-team appearances in the last four seasons.

Wasps Interim Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “Owain approached us with an opportunity to play in New Zealand and after sitting down with him, we’ve agreed to release him from his contract.

“We do think he’s a player with potential but at the moment we can’t guarantee him game-time with the competition we have across the back-three.

“He goes out to New Zealand with our best wishes and he’ll always be welcome back at the Club.”

James said: “I’ve been with Wasps since such a young age and it’s been a hell of a journey.

“I feel privileged to have played in the Black and Gold but for me right now I want to take on a very different challenge and see the world Down Under.

“I’m aiming to play lots of rugby at Northcote Birkenhead RFC and hopefully I’ll be able to get into the Mitre 10 Cup squad with North Harbour.

“I’ll always be a Wasp and I’ll certainly be back in the future as I have lots of friends here who are like family to me. I’d like to wish everyone at the Club the best of luck in the coming seasons.”