Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 3666 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: December 13, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
Nice article / interview with Paolo.
Best things is a front page photo of Tom Young scoring his try just before touchdown with a smile on his face.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
+1

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
Just reading article about Amazon possibly taking 6 nations.

In it Bill Sweeney RFU chief executive goes on about making more attractive to tv, by making it more flowing ,less power-based

“Eddie would support us on that. Eddie is a big fan and proponent of open ,attacking rugby”.

Discuss.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »

In it Bill Sweeney RFU chief executive goes on about making more attractive to tv, by making it more flowing ,less power-based

“Eddie would support us on that. Eddie is a big fan and proponent of open ,attacking rugby”.

Discuss.
Is he? Thats news to me. I thought he wanted to build a winning team that no one wants to watch win.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
I was just trying to work out if it’s Sweeney try to pull the wool over the broadcasters eyes, the public’s eyes , or the journalists eyes.

Or has EJ really said it (I’m sure he has ,he’s said everything at some point) and Bill and the rest of RFU believe him.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
Interesting to see just how much more open and flowing the Heineken Cup games have been compared to both the Prem and the Internationals.  Much more entertaining to watch. 

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
Interesting to see just how much more open and flowing the Heineken Cup games have been compared to both the Prem and the Internationals.  Much more entertaining to watch.
Agree. But whether that’s down to some mismatches of squads, coaching, game plan etc. All of that  I suspect. But probably comes down to if you consider it worth winning.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

Discuss.
Is he? Thats news to me. I thought he wanted to build a winning team that no one wants to watch win.
Agreed. I'm assuming it's just a soundbite. As it's obviously not true.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »

Discuss.

By putting it behind a paywall

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 04:34:24 PM »

Discuss.

I can’t remember if it was in this article or another but it implied that they would be open to sharing  it with terrestrial tv. So it may be rest of the world rights they are looking at

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »

Discuss.

I can’t remember if it was in this article or another but it implied that they would be open to sharing  it with terrestrial tv. So it may be rest of the world rights they are looking at

Yes open to sharing.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »

If I think back to Eddie when he was in charge of Australia, it was so about running rugby.... Admittedly with backs sharing various positions (i.e. 15s and 12s that could play 10)

Wasn't his Japan side also developed around a running game?

Maybe, what we see if him with England is where he feels our strengths are.
He could play a more expansive game with us, but maybe we couldn't compete in that area against a New Zealand or an on form Australia.
However, maybe he feels that our power, territory game is capable of out putting South Africa and nullifying the others

I genuinely don't think that Eddie ignores an open/running type game of he feels that's appropriate...
Rightly or wrongly, he doesn't feel that's appropriate for us

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 11:28:41 PM »

I genuinely don't think that Eddie ignores an open/running type game of he feels that's appropriate...
Rightly or wrongly, he doesn't feel that's appropriate for us

So Eddie is bulls......g his employers or they are doing same to Amazon.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 11:37:47 PM »

Smoke and mirrors everywhere

Eddie can genuinely say that he likes open running rugby - I really think he does
But I don't think he feels England can play that way well enough

RFU can then say to Amazon that we have a coach known for exciting rugby - watch these videos of Australia from ~20 years ago for proof

And we'll have Youngs, Farrell and probably Tuilagi playing

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
I haven't listened to the 52 min interview, but have read the article below (link to the interview in it):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/12/14/brian-moore-interviews-eddie-jones-play-test-rugby-not-club/

Eddie chat to Brian on a lot of the playing style questions/thoughts from fans.  No mention of changing the guard of the squad at all though (in the written article at least). 

In short, the lack of attacking rugby at international level is down to (according to Eddie) the cohesiveness and effectiveness of modern defences and the statistical risk the attacking team runs of losing the ball if they keep it for more than 3 phases.