Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fiver Off Again  (Read 13364 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fiver Off Again
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 09:21:59 PM »
Both above are correct, I think. Unfortunately.  Never a fan of him from the beginning.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 10:51:07 PM »
Don't pretend to know how he operates but it does seem to be that one season is enough - either for him or who he plays for. To be honest I think this was the payday he was leaving us for before Eddie intervened.

Bang on.

HenleyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
Have him back without question.  Could mentor our current young flyhalves.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
Or lead them astray.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
I'm not sure he could mentor or coach anyone. I think for someone who plays so instinctively it must be very hard to teach it to someone else. .

Don't get me wrong. loved watching him play & wish him all the best but he does seem to rub people up the wrong way

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
I'm not sure he could mentor or coach anyone. I think for someone who plays so instinctively it must be very hard to teach it to someone else. .

Don't get me wrong. loved watching him play & wish him all the best but he does seem to rub people up the wrong way

As I understand it he likes to coach players to meet his requirements and that tends to rub team coaches up the wrong way if not straight away then eventually. His requirements often do not match the whole teams necessary requirements/needs. However I do find it puzzling he now has two/three coaches he played with at wasps (not sure how much he played around King - memory fade!) so perhaps his perceptions have changed. Wasted tallent but wouldn't have him anywhere near our current squad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
At club level I wouldn't have said he was a wasted talent. He has played fantastic rugby for Wasps, Sale & Glozzer, and had his moments in Australia I seem to recall.

At national level, maybe, but I don't think his talent would have fitted into what International rugby has become, whoever was coaching.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
At club level I wouldn't have said he was a wasted talent. He has played fantastic rugby for Wasps, Sale & Glozzer, and had his moments in Australia I seem to recall.

At national level, maybe, but I don't think his talent would have fitted into what International rugby has become, whoever was coaching.

Absolutely excellent club career, I agree, ..and on the second point I agree largely, but would add that he would need a Ashton type coach at senior international level,and they are rare as hen's teeth.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 06:55:43 PM »
People can say what they like about Cipriani and Haskell for that matter, as far as I'm concerned they are Wasps legends and I'm grateful they have both twice chosen Wasps as their club and done themselves proud whilst with us.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
Shows that people have very different views on what constitutes a legend, neither of these get anywhere near that status for me.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 10:08:45 PM »
Bizarrely Haskell gets closer for me. Cipriani, not enough games for me. Was good first time round, second time round season one was patchy and season two was superb. Undoubtedly a talent though.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 10:23:20 PM »
Danny was superb in 2008 at HQ when England beat Ireland. Many thought that it would be the start of a long England career but sadly, it never materialised. A mercurial talent and he enthralled the fans at Adams Park, on many occasions.

Hask was at his best in 2016 for both club and country.

Both players should rightly considered as Wasps legends.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:26:51 PM by Heathen »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 10:57:07 PM »

Its obviously all just speculation, but if cipriani did come back here, then you've got to think that Blackett would be going in with eyes open.

It would surely only happen with his agreement, and he will absolutely know what it means to work with him

However, in the real world, I expect a pay day beckons in a far off land

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »

Its obviously all just speculation, but if cipriani did come back here, then you've got to think that Blackett would be going in with eyes open.

It would surely only happen with his agreement, and he will absolutely know what it means to work with him

Rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing. Do you think we really need him?what would that say to our two youngsters?

I suspect the second coming was not just about talent but marketing and publicity as part of transition to Coventry.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 11:33:42 PM »

Rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing. Do you think we really need him?what would that say to our two youngsters?

I suspect the second coming was not just about talent but marketing and publicity as part of transition to Coventry.

I'm not saying that we need him
I'll be honest, I loved watching him play for us, and as an attacking fly half, I don't think I've seen many players more exciting.
However, there were weaknesses to his game.

All I'm saying is that if he did come back, you'd assume that Lee has weighed up so the pros and cons and believes that he can work with him again.

I don't think the consequences would be too great on Atkinson. His game time is likely to be limited anyway and you'd sorry expect any signing of DC would be short term.
The effect on Umaga would be slightly different. Jacob needs to be justifying his role as first choice, but at the moment, he has very little competition at wasps.

He's usurped Lima, Jimmy isn't the 10 that he was a few years ago, and Atkinson is too inexperienced to be a credible push for the shirt..
With Lima presumably off next season, there's an argument for having a fly half on the books to push Umaga and keep him improving - in fairness, that's probably not a role you sign DC up for, and not one that he'd be after at this stage of his career either