Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fiver Off Again  (Read 14137 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fiver Off Again
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »
Seems a little harsh from Healey, although the paragraph regarding the father figure is something we all need. I was just 25 when I lost my dad to cancer, I went through a phase of being a bit of a knob, out too, getting into scraps and so on. Luckily I had a great boss at work and a friend who got me back into boxing so I could vent my frustration down an appropriate channel. I'd like to think Lol or Shaun at least tried to do that with Danny, whether or not he took heed though......

Blunt rather than harsh, I think -- Healey's been through his own hell, I believe, so can genuinely write from experience and the heart. Inevitably, a little 'Leicester' on Danny compared to Youngs and Ford, but otherwise pretty sharp. Things like this are why I have a lot of time for Healey.

I really hope Danny finds his mark, but sorting personal sh&t can be so hard. Wonderful player who figured prominently in some of Wasps' finest moments, and always think and hope well of him.

Such a shame that Edwards has yet to take on a club side where Cips might get a berth. Gats? Dimes? Can't help wondering what another stint with Wasps would be like, but probably too much to ask of everyone to ensure the right framework and risky.

We'd have to agree to disagree on that, I think Cips was a much better player than Healey is giving him credit for here.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »
Seems a little harsh from Healey, although the paragraph regarding the father figure is something we all need. I was just 25 when I lost my dad to cancer, I went through a phase of being a bit of a knob, out too, getting into scraps and so on. Luckily I had a great boss at work and a friend who got me back into boxing so I could vent my frustration down an appropriate channel. I'd like to think Lol or Shaun at least tried to do that with Danny, whether or not he took heed though......

Blunt rather than harsh, I think -- Healey's been through his own hell, I believe, so can genuinely write from experience and the heart. Inevitably, a little 'Leicester' on Danny compared to Youngs and Ford, but otherwise pretty sharp. Things like this are why I have a lot of time for Healey.

I really hope Danny finds his mark, but sorting personal sh&t can be so hard. Wonderful player who figured prominently in some of Wasps' finest moments, and always think and hope well of him.

Such a shame that Edwards has yet to take on a club side where Cips might get a berth. Gats? Dimes? Can't help wondering what another stint with Wasps would be like, but probably too much to ask of everyone to ensure the right framework and risky.

We'd have to agree to disagree on that, I think Cips was a much better player than Healey is giving him credit for here.

Think I'm with you on that bit, hence the 'Leicester' jibe, crediting cips with some finest moments, etc. (love his magic). And Healey also can't resist a dig on the media front. Was referring to all the personal stuff that seem to have stopped Cips from being his very best (demons, friction...).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 12:03:36 PM by PestNproud »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
The big things I would disagree with are kicking stats, because for most of the last few years England have played with two kickers - Ford and Farrell, and Farrell kicked. When Danny did get the nod at ten, allegedly saving Eddie's job if you believe the scuttlebutt, Farell was alongside. If he was going to be selected it would  be with a ten outside him most likely, as he had at Wasps and as England generally have done. Thus the kicking stats of the actual kicker are what matter, as he would be the back up.

The other thing is not the focus of the argument, but it is Youngs. To compare Cipriani with Youngs seems odd, as Young's huge number of caps is the number one thing that  is held against Eddie as an example of his intransigence, and Youngs has made egregious mistakes on the field and in interviews after that Danny would have been nailed to the floor for. Farrell would be a better comparison for obvious reasons. Farrell's mistakes have tended to resolve around tackle technique, or lack of. Aside from that he would illustrate Healy's point better.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »

I've enjoyed watching cipriani play as much, if not more, than I used to enjoy watching Carlos Spencer.

From a fans perspective, they make the game about entertainment rather than winning.

However, when I consider whether he's the best fly half in England, I always remember an old game between us and Clermont.

From memory, it was probably the best 38 minutes of play I'd ever seen.
Then I believe there was a cross field kick at the end of the half, Rougerie plucked it out of the air and ran the length of the pitch to score.
The 2nd half was as close to the worst performance I've ever seen.
Two complete polar opposites in the space of a single game.

As he's matured I think the balance has changed. Its no longer 50% amazing and 50% poor.... But you still get some poor mixed with amazing.

At international level, I think a lot of coaches would have accepted less of the amazing if it eradicated the poor moments

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2020, 01:16:26 AM »
Interestingly, the headline on Austen's article has changed. Now it is :

Danny Cipriani was a gifted maverick - but he was never good enough for England
You can be as talented as you like, but the common goal has to be the team. And when it isn't, people turn on you

Before it was:

Danny Cipriani — Danny Cipriani is not a wasted talent — he was never that good anyway

I wonder if someone had a word in Austen's ear? ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2020, 07:38:16 AM »
Interestingly, the headline on Austen's article has changed. Now it is :

Danny Cipriani was a gifted maverick - but he was never good enough for England
You can be as talented as you like, but the common goal has to be the team. And when it isn't, people turn on you

Before it was:

Danny Cipriani — Danny Cipriani is not a wasted talent — he was never that good anyway

I wonder if someone had a word in Austen's ear? ::)

Headlines are normally written by sub-editors and often don't reflect what's in the article. Their purpose is to get you reading, in the old days it was to catch the eye, now its called click-bait.

In this case it could be Austen had a word with the subs.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
Thanks for putting me right. Next, you'll be telling me that Austen doesn't actually write his own articles🙄
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2020, 03:03:47 PM »
George Skivington saying that he and Cips hadn't fallen out in the pre match interview but very cagey about discussing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
George Skivington saying that he and Cips hadn't fallen out in the pre match interview but very cagey about discussing.

Watched that and very "diplomatic" was that comment!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2020, 12:00:16 AM »
Thanks for putting me right. Next, you'll be telling me that Austen doesn't actually write his own articles🙄

Is that Jane Austen?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2020, 07:48:10 AM »

Is that Jane Austen?
So was the article written with pride or prejudice?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »
Probably with sense.  Plus some sensibility too.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
Certainly not Clueless.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
Probably with sense.  Plus some sensibility too.
Didn’t take a lot of persuasion

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2020, 05:04:59 PM »
”Cipriani, who reportedly turned down a move to Japan during lockdown, could now make that move in 2021 a year early with a number of clubs all over the world interested.

Bath, Newcastle and Sale Sharks are all also apparently in the hunt to sign the 33-year-old with Lyon across the Channel also showing a keen interest“

https://www.ruck.co.uk/danny-ciprianis-next-move-revealed-after-gloucester-exit/