Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Malakai update  (Read 1594 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Malakai update
« on: December 15, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Malakai update
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »
There's a story on Robson as well, saying he will start his 2 weeks rest before the Montpellier game.

I wonder whether Will Porter will get a start, he seems to be in great form. It feels unlikely but I'd love it if he did.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »
Do we know if Vellacott and Wolstenholme are injured?

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:54:38 AM »
Do we know if Vellacott and Wolstenholme are injured?

No idea I'm afraid. Are you not a fan of Will Porter then?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Yes, I like Porter. Just haven't seen much about BV. He disappeared from the squad s couple of games ago without much explanation. Of course it's perfectly feasible that with DR and WP available he's just been dropped.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »
Yes, I like Porter. Just haven't seen much about BV. He disappeared from the squad s couple of games ago without much explanation. Of course it's perfectly feasible that with DR and WP available he's just been dropped.

I think it’s probably based on a slight dip in recent performance but more likely due to rotation (he wasn’t on last week’s injury list). With Robson now on his mandatory rest period, I fully expect Vellacott to make the match day 23 for the next couple of weeks. Similarly for Wolstenholme.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »
The scrum half situation just seems really fluid. Obviously Robbo is #1, but behind him I have no idea whatsoever what the order is and I'm not sure Blackers does either. That's not a criticism by way, there is nothing particularly good about pre-conceived pecking orders, and we've seen other positions - for example hooker and loosehead - perhaps benefit from fluidity and competition.

What I don't buy is the idea that Vellacott is still a nailed on #2 but has been rested. If you have a nailed on #2 you don't rest him when your #1 is away, you play him because he isn't going to forgive you if you don't. So, he's either been carrying a niggling injury that has not been mentioned, or Blackers has genuinely opened up the position to competition from the 2 youngsters. Personally I hope it's the later, not because I don't like or rate Vellacott but just because I don't see him ever becoming another Robson - a genuine game-changing point of difference. It's too early to tell whether Wolly or Porter can be that either, but with Porter in particular I like the signs and I'd love to see a bit more of what he can do.