Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Montpellier  (Read 5435 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up for Montpellier
« on: December 17, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Lima Sopoaga (47)

14 Zach Kibirige (30)

13 Paolo Odogwu (12)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (110)

11 Josh Bassett (131)

10 Charlie Atkinson (4)

9 Will Porter (21)

1 Ben Harris (66)

2 Tom Cruse (86)

3 Kieran Brookes (45)

4 Tim Cardall (23)

5 James Gaskell (124)

6 Ben Morris (32)

7 Thomas Young (124)

8 Alfie Barbeary (10)

Replacements

16 Gabriel Oghre (31)

17 Tom West (38)

18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen (25)

19 Levi Douglas (4)

20 Tom Willis (24)

21 Ben Vellacott (10)

22 Michael Le Bourgeois (39)

23 Matteo Minozzi (21)

Lee Blackett has named his Wasps side to host Montpellier at Ricoh Arena in Heineken Champions Cup Round two on Friday.

There are five changes to the starting 15 that beat Dragons last time out.

Wasps’ international quartet of Dan Robson, Will Rowlands, Jack Willis and Joe Launchbury are rested. In their places come Will Porter, Tim Cardall, Ben Morris and James Gaskell respectively.   

The only other change sees Ben Harris return from injury to start at loosehead prop.

Tom Willis also makes his way back from the injury he picked up against Gloucester in November, to take his place amongst the replacements.

Wasps Head Coach, Lee Blackett, said: “Our international players were keen to play, but they have to have a mandated amount of rest and we thought it was better to give them a well-deserved break, with a busy period to come.

“We've spoken before about being adaptable. It is key over this period that we keep on being adaptable. We can't use anything as an excuse and we definitely won't be. I am pleased with the result at the weekend, our performance was definitely better than what it had been, we're moving in the right direction.

“Montpellier are a big physical team that are very confrontational and are going to come at you. They are one of the heaviest sides in the Top 14 and they've got internationals throughout. In their last away game, they went away and beat Clermont. I thought they were outstanding. That was them at their best. It will be about not allowing them to impose their game on us and us trying to impose our game on them.”

Wasps team to face Montpellier at Ricoh Arena on Friday in Heineken Champions Cup Pool A Round Two (kick-off 8:00pm)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Montpellier
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
Looks good to me. Anyone know what BT channel it is on tomorrow?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
BT2
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Very happy Atkinson gets another game, and Porter gets a start. We're definitely going to miss Robson, Launchbury, Willis and Rowlands. In particular with forwards, I hope we're not too light, maybe start Douglas ahead of Cardall but that's all. Also no ZZ on bench. Shocked Gopperth hasn't had a rest yet, Mills and Simonds are needed desperately.

On the whole happy, gives the youngsters an opportunity.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:08:04 PM »
Interesting team. Lee using this to rest most internationals.  I think he is risking this match with the team pick. Good players but perhaps a little undercooked.

Going to be interesting.  How is the Coventry weather looking for tomorrow night? If rain it plays into their normal heavy game plan.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »
Fingers crossed 2nd row have better time of it

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
Bit worried by this. Is the mandated rest period for internationals based on time on pitch or just being there? If it's the former I'm amazed Robson and Willis don't play. I think we look very lightweight against one of the largest sides there is. If the tactic is using increased mobility to move them around I understand that - but we've got to get the ball first.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Montpellier:

Immelman; Martin, Lozowski, Vincent, Vallee; Foursans, Paillaugue; Forletta, du Plessis, Lamositele, Van Rensburg, Chalureau, Ouedraogo, Becognee, Picamoles

Replacements: Delhommel, Nariashvili, Chilachava, Camara, Timu, Reilhac, Ngandebe.

They only appear to have announced 7 subs :o

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 12:18:28 PM »
I have to say I like the mix. The choice of 9 and 10 made me smile and I’m genuinely looking forward to it. It seems the Alfie@8 experiment is going well (3rd in a row). I thought ZZ might get another call up after playing all of 10 minutes last week (after a 10 month ‘break’). Good to see Morris, Douglas and Vellacott back. Only odd thing (like last week) is that Sopoaga is starting at FB ahead of Minozzi.

Looks good to me. Anyone know what BT channel it is on tomorrow?

BT Sport 2

Shocked Gopperth hasn't had a rest yet, Mills and Simonds are needed desperately.

I think both aren’t far off returning now.

If the tactic is using increased mobility to move them around I understand that - but we've got to get the ball first.

That’s seems to be the plan according to Blackett

https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/wasps-ahead-of-montpellier-with-physicality-in-their-dna/28651.htm

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »
Bit worried by this. Is the mandated rest period for internationals based on time on pitch or just being there? If it's the former I'm amazed Robson and Willis don't play. I think we look very lightweight against one of the largest sides there is. If the tactic is using increased mobility to move them around I understand that - but we've got to get the ball first.

Willis and Robson may not have played much, but they have trained during the week every week since the Premiership final.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 12:27:45 PM »
Montpellier:

Immelman; Martin, Lozowski, Vincent, Vallee; Foursans, Paillaugue; Forletta, du Plessis, Lamositele, Van Rensburg, Chalureau, Ouedraogo, Becognee, Picamoles

Replacements: Delhommel, Nariashvili, Chilachava, Camara, Timu, Reilhac, Ngandebe.

They only appear to have announced 7 subs :o

There FB page has the missing player, Reinach. Oh shoot... *Vietnam flashbacks to previous Saints matches with Reinach*

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
That is a pretty strong MHR side. Some very physical lumps in the pack.

As Lee alluded to, we will have to move them around. Have to avoid too many rucks and mauls, otherwise we could struggle.

Very surprised that Harris starts over West. I thought that West was one of out best performers last week. Hope we are not going to P him off and we lose another potential England prop.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »
Picamoles and Alfie at 8 should be interesting. At 34, Picamoles is very nearly old enough to be Alfie's dad ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »
Interesting team. Lee using this to rest most internationals.  I think he is risking this match with the team pick. Good players but perhaps a little undercooked.

Going to be interesting.

Agree with that, looking at the 2 team sheets I can't see that we've favourites. The combo of the 2 inexperienced half-backs is particularly tricky, Charlie really benefitted from playing outside Robbo last weekend.

That said, I'm not stressed about it. I'm looking forwards to seeing these lads play, and if they don't manage the win there will be plenty learned and if they do it will be a great victory for them.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »
Decent Wasps squad in the circumstances.

I’m a little surprised Porter got the nod over Velacott and wolstenholme.

I understand Montpellier have a couple of recognisable names and are big but are they any good?