Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Montpellier  (Read 5436 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Montpellier
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »
Amazing to see Josh Bassett with top appearances at 131 -- who'd have thought!

Felt he looked rather rather tired and one-dimensional ~2018, after really impressing before that, but has he ever been better than the last 6 months?

Just quietly gets on with it and becoming an ultimate clubman.

And coming up to out of contract.

I’ve always felt he was, and continues to be, highly underrated. Even that dip in 2018 was more to do with the overall drop in morale and performance across the entire club.

He’s one of those players Blackett needs to wrap up his new contract over the coming weeks. He’s a fantastic servant of the club and never receives the deserved recognition. Give him a bit of space and he excites every times.

Bewildering somewhat he wasn't a part of the massive group of re-signings back in summer. I hope he stays, but it's also good the club is looking in case he doesn't.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
With Blackett saying it's due to the rest protocols, in this instance that's not the case

well, we don't really do we? Unless you were in the coaches meeting when they picked the squad?

Rowland's doesn't have to be rested legally does he, because he's not in the England team?

But when you consider how little time the players have had for R&R between seasons and International duty, there is going to be serious burn out this season, unless you have a squad that are all proven quality players, e.g.Chiefs. The rest is deperately needed. Greed at Home nations level, esp. England is a big factor.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 06:53:07 PM »
Agree with an earlier post. I'd have thrown the kitchen sink at this one and tested the internationals next week and away at Sale.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
With Blackett saying it's due to the rest protocols, in this instance that's not the case

well, we don't really do we? Unless you were in the coaches meeting when they picked the squad?

Rowland's doesn't have to be rested legally does he, because he's not in the England team?

Unless he’s hoping to persuade Tiny to stay.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »

You are correct, i wasn't in the coaches meeting for picking the team this week.
I was merely going by the facts that Blackett presented, my apologies.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:35:41 PM by Hymenoptera »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
It feels like we've been caught out slightly by how serious Montpol are taking this.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »
It feels like we've been caught out slightly by how serious Montpol are taking this.

It only takes a win and then some COVID cancelled matches to turn the competition on its head

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »

Have said this and totally agree.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
I'd have thrown the kitchen sink at this one and tested the internationals next week and away at Sale

IMO while there may have been some merit in that, I suspect that Launchbury, Rowlands & Robson, are knackered & needed some R & R, probably mentally as much as physically so best get them rested & back fit & firing asap.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »
I'd have thrown the kitchen sink at this one and tested the internationals next week and away at Sale

IMO while there may have been some merit in that, I suspect that Launchbury, Rowlands & Robson, are knackered & needed some R & R, probably mentally as much as physically so best get them rested & back fit & firing asap.

Rested and out of Europe doesn't sound too good.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »

Remember we have 3 tough fixtures within a 13 day window when the Premiership resumes - Sale, Exeter and Bath.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »

That's true, IMO I wouldn't have rested them yet, but I'm not a head coach :)
Like I said though, they may have been broken mentally & physically so playing them could have been counter productive. Although Robson looked in great form both Launch & Rowlands weren't up to their usual standard against the Dragons IMO.

Anyway, lets see what the players selected can do, worrying about it won't do us any good or change anything  :D

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »
Just looked at the next fixture, Sale, which is on the 27th, so technically just over 2 weeks since the Dragons game.
So given the dates, it may have been a clever way to get the 2 weeks rest done & only miss 1 match?

Although saying that, they could have done the same after Montpellier & missed only the Sale game...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »

That's true, IMO I wouldn't have rested them yet, but I'm not a head coach :)
Like I said though, they may have been broken mentally & physically so playing them could have been counter productive. Although Robson looked in great form both Launch & Rowlands weren't up to their usual standard against the Dragons IMO.

Anyway, lets see what the players selected can do, worrying about it won't do us any good or change anything  :D

True

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
That's a very good point. Hadn't thought about it like that.