Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread - Do we need one?  (Read 15359 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread - Do we need one?
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
Bullet point analysis:
Delighted with 5.
Don't think we'd have won without the red
Don't care
West is a scrummaging exemplar
Where do we play Barbeary
Lima frustrating but I still stick by him
Atkinson and Porter excellent
Odogwu settling at 13
Jimmy needs two weeks off
Sign Bassett up

Can't disagree with any of that.

+1

As long as barbeary on pitch not bothered about number on his back . How about 12 next week?

Actually think it’s worth persevering with Lima at 15.

Defo re Bassett

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2020, 11:02:03 PM »
Very happy with the result. Top of the tree, two games in, must be pleasing for the coaches. Challenges ahead but some really good young talent on display. Once our walking wounded return to the fold, the squad will really be very competitive.

Charlie, Will, Alfie - West is outstanding at LH. Paolo is growing into the 13 shirt.

The red was undisputable. Would we have won without it? Who knows but hey, we won. Let's celebrate it and go and stick one on Sale next week.

#COYW.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »
Never having played in front row , why did picture of scrum change when oghre come on ? I know commentators said West had sort of influenced ref re binding,was it purely down to that and change of prop was coincidental?

West is an exceptionally good loosehead. He's strong enough that he forces tightheads to end up angling in, gets his head in under their chests and pops them up too. His back must be immensely strong. The binding calls from West influenced his opponent, rather than the ref. A long binding (at least in my inexperienced experience at tighthead) feels far less powerful than a short one.

This is far from the first time that West has had good tightheads in trouble though, he is a very good scrummager indeed. Perhaps not the most destructive in terms of going forwards, but in ways, that could show a very very calm head, no point in the loosehead rushing forwards if the tighthead isn't really coming with them.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
Never having played in front row , why did picture of scrum change when oghre come on ? I know commentators said West had sort of influenced ref re binding,was it purely down to that and change of prop was coincidental?

West is an exceptionally good loosehead. He's strong enough that he forces tightheads to end up angling in, gets his head in under their chests and pops them up too. His back must be immensely strong. The binding calls from West influenced his opponent, rather than the ref. A long binding (at least in my inexperienced experience at tighthead) feels far less powerful than a short one.

This is far from the first time that West has had good tightheads in trouble though, he is a very good scrummager indeed. Perhaps not the most destructive in terms of going forwards, but in ways, that could show a very very calm head, no point in the loosehead rushing forwards if the tighthead isn't really coming with them.

Thanks for that .

So  what he’s presenting to to ref over the long term is I’m doing everything I can to be stable and honest . So by the time Oghre  came on something was changing in refs mind ,or did Oghre have a better base for West to build on?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2020, 11:29:05 PM »
As much praise as West is getting, mention for Ben Harris, back from injury, solid scrum and brilliant work rate in the loose.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2020, 11:36:02 PM »
As much praise as West is getting, mention for Ben Harris, back from injury, solid scrum and brilliant work rate in the loose.
Agree .also le booj for being a flanker

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »
He wants to play centre - he always says that - but I just tell him to shut up and stay in the forwards!

Blackett on Alfie

;D

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »

Thanks for that .

So  what he’s presenting to to ref over the long term is I’m doing everything I can to be stable and honest . So by the time Oghre  came on something was changing in refs mind ,or did Oghre have a better base for West to build on?

To be honest i didn't see much change from the other west scrums. There was one scrum where they had us on toast but that can happen if your timing is just a second off, or your lock isn't quite low enough and rides up, or your footing slips etc etc. I think with both Harris and West it was a reasonably close contest and it may be that having a fresher hooker helped us push it back to our slight advantage.

Harris had a another very good game. I'm wondering what it is that keeps west as a bench option instead of starter. My guess is Harris does more breakdown work.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2020, 12:23:39 AM »

Thanks for that .

To be honest i didn't see much change from the other west scrums. There was one scrum where they had us on toast but that can happen if your timing is just a second off, or your lock isn't quite low enough and rides up, or your footing slips etc etc. I think with both Harris and West it was a reasonably close contest and it may be that having a fresher hooker helped us push it back to our slight advantage.

Harris had a another very good game. I'm wondering what it is that keeps west as a bench option instead of starter. My guess is Harris does more breakdown work.

Yes does seem strange that he’s not getting starts this season,but early days. Also quietly impressed how Morris is building up to be in contention for 1st team choice as well .

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2020, 02:29:19 AM »
Good call. Our propping options are very good at the minute. JTA is transformed there.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
He wants to play centre - he always says that - but I just tell him to shut up and stay in the forwards!

Blackett on Alfie

;D

In his MOTM interview, he was asked what next. He grinned and said 'Centre'.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
Good call. Our propping options are very good at the minute. JTA is transformed there.

Re JTA. I remember reading an article a few months back where, I think, JTA said that his work with Neil Fowkes has really improved his scrummaging technique.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »
Whilst a letter-of-the-law Red, I’d feel slightly aggrieved if that was say Josh or Zach hitting their 9, who bounced up.  I know it’s not how these things are decided, but clearly Will was ok and it didn’t look malicious, just a fraction off.  As a Wasps fan, I’d have accepted a Yellow. 

We got our rub of the green yesterday in having 75 mins playing 14 men as I’m not convinced we’d have won it otherwise - Montpellier took their chances well.

Delighted we’re 10/10 points in Europe though. 

Watching yesterday really excites me for the next few years.  So much young talent feeling like they’re beginning to come of age.  Love that within the squad we’ve got:

- Strong, interchangeable front-row (so much so that one of our prized hookers doesn’t play his normal position)
- Cardall looks a very good prospect
- The Willis Bro’s are half international and half prem standard already and excited to see Curran when he’s back as he looked like he had the potential to be a bruising flanker from his cameo at Sarries
- Porter/Wolstenholme both look lively 9’s.  Porter looks to have bulked up a bit and was the fast, feisty 9 that suits us - quick to the ruck and quick to make a decision
- Umaga / Atkinson at 10.  Atkinson really impressed with some of tactical kicking, both in terms of the space he was seeing and the variation of kicking
- Odogwu looks totally at home at 13.  He’s very understated and surprisingly quick as well as being strong with soft hands

Some serious talent there that has longevity as a squad and makes having sprinkling of experience like Minozzi, Mills, Sopoaga, Shields, Gopperth, Fekitoa, Young, Rowlands etc... much easier to replace as/when the timing is right.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
Whilst a letter-of-the-law Red, I’d feel slightly aggrieved if that was say Josh or Zach hitting their 9, who bounced up.  I know it’s not how these things are decided, but clearly Will was ok and it didn’t look malicious, just a fraction off.  As a Wasps fan, I’d have accepted a Yellow. 

We got our rub of the green yesterday in having 75 mins playing 14 men as I’m not convinced we’d have won it otherwise - Montpellier took their chances

Yes I did think possibly Brace could have given a yellow,especially as it was early on.

However the player would have been cited and banned for some games. So why should another team benefit from him not playing,when the misdemeanour was against us?