Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread - Do we need one?  (Read 15306 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread - Do we need one?
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2020, 05:35:02 PM »
He's caught Porter in the face with his shoulder so it's a clear Red card, I can't see why this is in dispute.

See JL Du Preez yellow, Tom Wood's no sanction, both shoulders to the head plus more - Thats why its a dispute.

Referees missing or not being so strict are no excuse. They need to be cited to bring matters level.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »
Du Preez and Wood both reds for me. How Wood got away with his I'll never know.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
And there we have the issue. similar incidents, different sanctions.
Referees have to be more consistent IMO

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2020, 11:45:39 AM »
Change of subjext - sorry.

Does anyone know if the full match is available anywhere (on-line)?

We don't have BT so had to follow on Twitter, and havve now been asked if we can send a video to someone serving in the Falklands.

One advantage that the PRL deal with BT has is that full matches are available the day after.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
It's on YouTube with French commentary: https://youtu.be/zmvp7k0b13I

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
It's on YouTube with French commentary: https://youtu.be/zmvp7k0b13I

Cheers - have passed this on.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Suppose its the problem with the rules, it's interpretation. For me all three should be red, but i wonder whether you start to introduce an orange? 10 mins in the bin but that player can't return to field of play and must be replaced by a sub?

In porter's case, it was always high and he's a short lad and even if he had been standing upright completely, it looks like still head contact.

The problem is there are a few refs shooting from the hip but also players are getting around the rules in most plays, i see that attempted neck rolling has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth unless it's conceding a try and a number of french and irish teams tend to clear out pretty recklessly.

I know you can't always manage these but i think sometimes the refs are given so much to keep an eye on that it's actually to the detriment of the game.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
For me the Montpellier 15 found himself closer to Porter than he expected to be & didn't have the space to go low. He tried but just couldn't get down low enough in the distance he had. Red card was the correct call IMO.

i think sometimes the refs are given so much to keep an eye on that it's actually to the detriment of the game.

If it was just the ref, I'd agree, but each ref has 2 touch judges & the TMO to help him. There really shouldn't be much being missed. I don't blame the refs themselves most of the time, the consistency has to come from above. As has been said before, some examples of foul play have almost disappeared because focus has been placed by refs on watching out for it & punishing it.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2020, 01:11:22 PM »

The players now have a duty of care when tackling, and they all know it.

They have to time their runs to ensure they know what position the person they're tackling is in.

If they're approaching someone jumping for the ball, they have to allow time for that person to land.

If Porter had jumped for the ball, as he would have done of contesting it, then he'd have been in real trouble.

Bottom line, tackle low = no problem

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
He's caught Porter in the face with his shoulder so it's a clear Red card, I can't see why this is in dispute.

See JL Du Preez yellow, Tom Wood's no sanction, both shoulders to the head plus more - Thats why its a dispute.

Referees missing or not being so strict are no excuse. They need to be cited to bring matters level.
So which ref is right, the one you think is or the one I think is?
'Strict levels' are not part of the question as mitigation protocols were applied and worked through for JL Dup. (who I believe now can't be cited)
The Tom Wood miss is a wholly different question on who is actually watching the game or were they on a biscuit break.
Anyway, I'm not saying it should have been a yellow, just that I'd have been satisfied with a yellow.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »
https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines/13

good video explaining the high tackle sanction process.

note that a certain Mr Farrell appears in the video, try not to derail the thread with anti faz rant  ;D

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Quote from: baldpaul101

note that a certain Mr Farrell appears in the video, try not to derail the thread with anti faz rant  ;D
[/quote

Oh you spoilsport!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »
6. DISCIPLINE

6.1 Where reasonably practicable, a player shown a red card will have his case heard within seven days of the relevant match.

6.2 EPCR will appoint a Citing Commissioner for each match. The Citing Commissioner will be entitled to cite a player for any acts of Foul Play that warranted the player being shown a red card. Clubs will not have the power to cite a player but may refer incidents to the Citing Commissioner within 26 hours of the start of the match. The Citing Commissioner will have 50 hours from the start of the match to submit a citing complaint to EPCR, although this deadline may be extended in certain circumstances. EPCR may refer the complaint to a Citing Officer (also referred to as a ‘Gatekeeper’) to determine whether it should proceed. The case will then proceed to a disciplinary hearing.

Haven’t heard anything yet so doesn’t look like anything will be investigated

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »

So which ref is right, the one you think is or the one I think is?
'Strict levels' are not part of the question as mitigation protocols were applied and worked through for JL Dup. (who I believe now can't be cited)
The Tom Wood miss is a wholly different question on who is actually watching the game or were they on a biscuit break.
Anyway, I'm not saying it should have been a yellow, just that I'd have been satisfied with a yellow.

A yellow can be upgraded to a red by a citing officer if they feel it should have been a red.

Tom Wood has also been cited.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
6. DISCIPLINE

6.1 Where reasonably practicable, a player shown a red card will have his case heard within seven days of the relevant match.

6.2 EPCR will appoint a Citing Commissioner for each match. The Citing Commissioner will be entitled to cite a player for any acts of Foul Play that warranted the player being shown a red card. Clubs will not have the power to cite a player but may refer incidents to the Citing Commissioner within 26 hours of the start of the match. The Citing Commissioner will have 50 hours from the start of the match to submit a citing complaint to EPCR, although this deadline may be extended in certain circumstances. EPCR may refer the complaint to a Citing Officer (also referred to as a ‘Gatekeeper’) to determine whether it should proceed. The case will then proceed to a disciplinary hearing.

Haven’t heard anything yet so doesn’t look like anything will be investigated

A Red Card automatically leads to a disciplinary 'meeting'. Immelman was dismissed for a dangerous tackle to the head which has an entry level of at least 6 weeks. It does not need the citing commisioner's input, as far as I know, as the referee submits a report to the authorities. The citing commisioner deals with missed dismeanours and yellows that should potentially have been a red.