Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Welsh Lions  (Read 3345 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Welsh Lions
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
So after being greeted with a traditional Haka at the airport the Lions responded by signing a Welsh hymn that only the members of the Welsh team could possibly know. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40108374

I know I should be supporting our boys in the squad, but I am so incredibly meh about the international stuff right now.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Welsh Lions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:23:03 AM »
I feel similar, it's not any single issue, but I find myself taking it personally, the constant overlooking of our players and playing style. I fully realise that I am being a little childish, and realise there are more good players than places, but that's how I feel. It is as if Wasps performance this year has been seen as just lucky or down to the high profile players. Just grates on me a bit. The pundits now seem to be saying that next year will be a struggle without the big players.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
The big players being Beale.  Since he's the only one off.  They also said we'd struggle this season...

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Yeah, there was no way we were going to do well this season without Smith and Piutau.

Let's see what next season brings...

waspymatt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
Part of their team bonding before they left the UK was to learn 4 different songs/hymns, one that relates to each of the home nations.  I'm guessing the Welsh one was the one they opted for on arrival.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
Part of their team bonding before they left the UK was to learn 4 different songs/hymns, one that relates to each of the home nations.  I'm guessing the Welsh one was the one they opted for on arrival.

That seems like a reasonable explanation.  But with Welsh coaches, Welsh players being over-represented based on individual and national form, Welsh captains of the squad and initial teams, and then a Welsh response ot the Maori welcome it does seem a little Welsh-centric.  Whcih would be fine if they were the dominant team, but that's not even close to be true.

waspymatt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
Yeah I see your point about the potential Welsh bias.  But lets see what unfolds over the remainder of the tour.  I think the selection for the first test will tell us a lot.  I personally don't hold out much hope for the Lions this time around, but I hope it's not as dismal as SCW in 2005.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 05:34:23 AM »
Yeah I see your point about the potential Welsh bias.  But lets see what unfolds over the remainder of the tour.  I think the selection for the first test will tell us a lot.  I personally don't hold out much hope for the Lions this time around, but I hope it's not as dismal as SCW in 2005.

No more potential for Welsh bias...

https://www.lionsrugby.com/2017/06/17/british-irish-lions-call-ups/

Several Scots are going to be annoyed by those.  Ignoring the English.