Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tiggers off  (Read 3060 times)

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Tiggers off
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55410821

First COVID postponement of the current season. Any bids for the pool panel result. I’m in for a Newcastle win 22-8

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tiggers off
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
I’m pretty certain Premiership Rugby had already announced at the start of the season that the team that forfeits (due to Covid) gets 2 points, while the other team gets 4.

I guess Newcastle continue their winning run.

Worrying times ahead nonetheless ...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 10:05:32 PM »
Expected and inevitable. Though Tigers were shut down recently having had covid, so this is a quick resurface.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
The resolution of Covid affected games should be 2 points each in my view, unless it can proved that one of the teams disregarded the rules (or in the case of Toulon forfeit the game by refusal to play).

Every team is at risk and if a team get covid from playing a side that already (unknowingly) has it, why should either team be penalised??

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 10:54:49 PM »
As I said on the other thread, a guaranteed two could benefit the forfeiting team if we were close to the end of the season.
In similar fashion, if it were 2 each, a team could forfeit and deny a team who needed 4, say, a chance of a win.
It could be very, very awkward at end of the season.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:50:52 AM »
In terms of the Premiership why are any of these games being cancelled. Loads of games were shoehorned into a short space of time last season. Why not postpone and play later on - maybe midweek.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
In terms of the Premiership why are any of these games being cancelled. Loads of games were shoehorned into a short space of time last season. Why not postpone and play later on - maybe midweek.

With the short break between seasons and the late start of the current season its hard to get this season completed without having the same problem next year. Its going to be a mess this year so they might as well get it done and dusted, whatever the outcome, and back to normal 21/22.

I might not be saying that if we get a lot of Covid cancelled games and find ourselves in relegation territory  ;)

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »
I would hope that any team claiming a covid cancellation would have those claims thoroughly investigated so as to ensure that they were not trying to pull a fast one and get two points for a fixture they might have come away from with nothing had they played the game.

Although, given the composition of the Prem this season, that might be less likely.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 12:38:09 PM »
I would hope that any team claiming a covid cancellation would have those claims thoroughly investigated so as to ensure that they were not trying to pull a fast one and get two points for a fixture they might have come away from with nothing had they played the game.

Although, given the composition of the Prem this season, that might be less likely.
I thought testing was independently run?

The other side of the argument is we don't want them pushing people on to the field who are infectious to increase the chance of a win.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

I thought testing was independently run?

The other side of the argument is we don't want them pushing people on to the field who are infectious to increase the chance of a win.

I don’t think it would necessarily be positive cases that would be where the problem could lie(I think results are sent to premiership and clubs).

But clubs could say certain players also need to isolate,or are injured so cannot make up a squad

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »
I might not be saying that if we get a lot of Covid cancelled games and find ourselves in relegation territory  ;)

Easy solution:  Scrap relegation for this season.  Reaching or missing out on play offs/Europe in a league that has been heavily distorted by COVID cancellations is one thing, you get another crack the following season.  Relegation carries too many longer term risks for clubs and it is unfair to subject a team to that when they do not necessarily deserve it based on rugby matters.  The Championship must now be seriously hanging in the balance for this season, so rather than have Championship clubs under undue pressure to fulfill fixtures and potentially put themselves and others at risk, better to scrap promotion for one season.  Go again in 2021/22.  Much as it's unfortunate for those aspiring Championship clubs who might feel they deserve a shot with the big boys, it is clearly for the greater good, and I'm sure most, if not quite all of them would agree! :)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Can you imagine one aspiring championship club’s acceptance of that? 😀

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »

Not sure what you mean!  Am I missing something?? :)

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »
DGP Wasp,
What a thumping good idea!
Perhaps then we'll find out just how far Nigel "I can hide behind a corkscrew" Wray has really distanced himself and his money from the Asterisks.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »

Not sure what you mean!  Am I missing something?? :)

I was thinking Ealing. No other aspiring or even inspiring clubs I can think of😊