Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Sale  (Read 4497 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up for Sale
« on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Lima Sopoaga (48)

14 Zach Kibirige (31)

13 Paolo Odogwu (13)

12 Michael Le Bourgeois (40)

11 Josh Bassett (132)

10 Charlie Atkinson (5)

9 Will Porter (22)

1 Tom West (39)

2 Tom Cruse (87)

3 Kieran Brookes (46)

4 Will Rowlands (95)

5 James Gaskell (125)

6 Ben Morris (33)

7 Thomas Young (125) (c)

8 Alfie Barbeary (11)

Replacements

16 Tommy Taylor (74)

17 Simon McIntyre (174)

18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen (26)

19 Levi Douglas (5)

20 Tom Willis (25)

21 Dan Robson (125)

22 Jimmy Gopperth (111)

23 Juan de Jongh (61)

Lee Blackett has named his Wasps side to travel to Sale Sharks in Gallagher Premiership Round Four on Sunday.

There are three changes to the starting 15 that beat Montpellier last time out.

Will Rowlands returns to form the second-row partnership with James Gaskell.

Tom West comes into the front row alongside Tom Cruse and Kieran Brookes.

The only change in the back-line sees Michael Le Bourgeois swap his place on the bench for the number 12 shirt, with Jimmy Gopperth making way.

Joining Gopperth amongst the replacements are the returning Dan Robson, Tommy Taylor, Juan De Jongh and Simon McIntyre.

Wasps Head Coach, Lee Blackett, said: “We were happy with the results in the European block just gone. Especially when it was such a young side that got the bonus-point win against Montpellier last week. We’ve got to take the confidence and energy we gained from those games into this match with Sale.

“We have a run of tough matches coming up in the Premiership, starting with this trip to Manchester. Sale is always a tricky place to go, but we look forward to facing up to that challenge on Sunday.”

Wasps team to face Sale Sharks at AJ Bell Stadium on Sunday in Gallagher Premiership Round Four (kick-off 3:00pm)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Not bad but not sure on this one.
Good to see Gopps rested. Strange Dan on bench but Launchers and Jack not picked.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »
What about Wusty or Benji? If Dan doesn't get on would that represent the second week of his break?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »
Is Umaga injured? I don't remember seeing anything about it?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »
Interesting mix. Expected to see all the internationals or none. Probably our strongest starting props scrum wise. No worries about Porter or Atkinson and glad Jimmy has a break. I assume kicking duties go to Lima.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »

He was. HIA was said but his swollen cheek may be worse than thought. Maybe just an additional rest period.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:20 PM »
Very decent team and a more than decent bench front row.

Lee showing confidence in Charlie at 10 and that's a very decent back three and 13 to make yards, both the hard ones and the fast ones.

Good to see De J on the bench and presumably Alfie and Mike le B can swap positions at will after Mike showed his flanker skills in the last game....???

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »

He was. HIA was said but his swollen cheek may be worse than thought. Maybe just an additional rest period.

Extract from BB's report:

Jack Willis, Joe Launchbury and Jacob Umaga enter the second week of their mandatory rest period which must be completed ahead of the 2021 Six Nations having also missed the win against Montpellier in the Heineken Champions Cup.

Italian fullback Matteo Minozzi is also rested following his participation in the tournament.

So Jacob gets 2 weeks off even though he never appeared in the tournament.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
Sale Sharks: 15. Sam James, 14. Luke James, 13. Roahn Janse van Rensburg, 12. Sam Hill, 11. Marland Yarde, 10. AJ MacGinty, 9 Faf de Klerk (capt); 1. Valerey Morozov, 2. Akker van der Merwe, 3. Coenie Oosthuizen, 4. Matt Postlethwaite, 5. JP du Preez, 6. Cobus Wiese, 7. Tom Curry, 8. Daniel du Preez.

Replacements: 16. Curtis Langdon, 17. Ross Harrison, 18. Will-Griff John, 19. James Phillips, 20. Sam Dugdale, 21. Will Cliff, 22. Robert du Preez, 23. Tom Roebuck.

Sale Press Release:

England international Tom Curry returns to the `Sale Sharks starting line-up as Paul Deacon names his side to face Wasps Rugby in the Sharks’ first Gallagher Premiership match since Steve Diamond’s departure earlier this month.

The newly appointed Head Coach makes eight changes to the Sale squad selected to face Edinburgh in the Heineken Champions Cup last weekend, as five internationals return for the Sharks ahead of Wasps’ visit at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Valerey Morozov and Coenie Oosthuizen return to the Sharks pack on Sunday and bring a wealth of experience to the front-row alongside the rampant Akker van der Merwe at hooker.

An unchanged lock partnership of Matt Postlethwaite and JP du Preez provides stability amidst a number of injuries in the Sale second row. Cobus Wiese, who has previously been named by the Sharks at lock, lines up in place of Jono Ross at blindside flanker. The South African continues to impress in the Sharks back row will be complimented this week by a welcome return to action for international’s Tom Curry and Daniel du Preez.

Faf de Klerk captains the side again in the absence of Jono Ross and lines up at half-back with AJ MacGinty as the pair look to orchestrate a first home victory under Paul Deacon. The Sharks deploy an abrasive centre partnership in Sam Hill and Rohan Janse van Rensburg but the combative pair will have plenty of flair outside them as Marland Yarde and Luke James are named on the wings, with Sam James retaining the fifteen shirt for Sale’s return to the Premiership.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
But Robson can be on the bench?

I'm confused.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
Interesting mix. Expected to see all the internationals or none. Probably our strongest starting props scrum wise. No worries about Porter or Atkinson and glad Jimmy has a break. I assume kicking duties go to Lima.
Alfie lined up to take kicks.😊

Happy with selection . Not making too many changes gives chance for side to keep confidence of winning, hopefully!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »
I'm concerned how strong Sale are going, hopefully we give them a good game, but that's a very strong Sale side.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 12:34:22 PM »
Twice a year, every year for as long as I can remember that thread title makes my heart drop...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »

I'm confused.

Robson could well have had two weeks off and is picked without training or potentially allowed to take his second week break another time.
Willis and Launchbury definitely went abroad for a full r&r break
Umaga needing two weeks off is ridiculous but at the same time he has played a lot over the last six months

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »

I'm confused.

Robson could well have had two weeks off and is picked without training or potentially allowed to take his second week break another time.
Willis and Launchbury definitely went abroad for a full r&r break
Umaga needing two weeks off is ridiculous but at the same time he has played a lot over the last six months

Jacob has surely played less rugby being with England than if he had stayed with us :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!