Always a Wasp

Author Topic: De Jongh signing announced  (Read 3196 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: De Jongh signing announced
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
As predicted by Fissler months ago I think. de Yongh still has 2 months of games to play before his contract is done. I hope it is not too expensive (i.e. sub £300k) and for 2 or 3 years.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
I suspect he won't be expensive.  He was serious quality for a while, but his MCL injury took a big toll on his form.  I'd like to think that being a friend of Smashley's he's not coming for a quick buck, but to be part of a settled squad.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
Indeed.

I have no idea how true it is, but I have heard mutterings that both Cips and Robson were offered contract extensions and turned them down. They would have been for 2017-18 onwards. Both rumoured to have seen the writing on the wall (no more chance of International call up) and been offered big money contracts in France.

If true, I wonder how Dai will react? In the main, where he 'knows', then the player gets less game time, usually becoming #3 on the list for their position. Who would then become the #2 scrum half? Craig Hampson I guess. JG moves to #1 for 10, with who as #2? Umaga or Eastwood? BTW, why is Umaga still shown in Tiger's colours on the offy portrait of him?

So, does signing a new 12 (JdeJ) now make more sense? I know he is officially 'replacing' our leavers. But we didn't really need another 12. Unless JG isn't playing there. And you wouldn't leave JG out of the team, so he must be going to be #1 10. JG signed his contract extension.

Conjecture. Let's wait for the first few games and see what happens.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »
Jimmy Gopperth is 34, wonder how much longer he wants to play for?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
My guess is 2 years, to allow him to work alongside someone like Umaga and get him up to Prem level strength and weight. I can see him staying on as a backs coach.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
I too have heard talk of a shock departure, with both Cips and Robson being mentioned.

I'd  be sad to see them go, I think they both have great qualities, and whilst I can see that Cips might want to take the big money as he's unlikely to get back into the England set-up I'd be surprised if Robson felt the same way.  But the only way to find out is to wait and see I guess.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
Cips I could understand. Robson just doesn't make sense to me with regards to France.  He's still very young, and by the time his contract is out, Eddie will only have 1 more year as england coach.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
I'd be very surprised to see Robson go too, but he hasn't been with us for long, and despite his obvious success if something isnt gelling for him at the club we wouldn't necessarily know about it until he left.

Not that I think that's likely though.