Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Charlie in England U20s  (Read 1619 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Charlie in England U20s
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Wasps Academy fly-half Charlie Atkinson has been named in the England U20 32-man Elite Player Squad (EPS) for 2021.

Atkinson has impressed in the Wasps first-team recently, making four appearances so far this season.

That run of games has included making his Heineken Champions Cup debut against Dragons and going on to score a try and conversion against Montpellier a week later. Most recently he scored his first Gallagher Premiership try against Sale Sharks.

The player pathway programme is a vital development tool for future full international rugby. Of the 31 players selected in England’s 2019 Rugby World Cup squad, 81% played for England U20s, 77% for England U18s, while 87% came through a club academy.

Former Wasps coach Andy Titterrell has also joined the England U20s set up as forwards coach, following his time with the Black and Golds from 2014 after his playing retirement, till 2020.

Titterrell was previously forwards coach for England Saxons on their successful tour of South Africa in 2016.

Titterrell’s playing career reached its peak with a call-up for the 2005 British & Irish Lions. In addition to being part of Sale’s 2006 Premiership title win, the former hooker’s club career took in stints with Gloucester Rugby, Leeds Carnegie and Edinburgh Rugby, while he was capped five times by England.

England men U20s Elite Player Squad – 2021

Forwards
Ben Bamber (Bristol Bears)
Harvey Beaton (Saracens)
Phil Brantingham (Newcastle Falcons)
Lucas Brooke (London Irish)
Arthur Clark (Gloucester Rugby)
Jack Clement (Gloucester Rugby)
Luke Green (London Irish)
Alex Groves (Bristol Bears)
Lewis Holsey (Worcester Warriors)
Ethan Hunt (Gloucester Rugby)
Emeka Ilione (Leicester Tigers)
George Martin (Leicester Tigers)
Nahum Merigan (Bath Rugby)
Marcus Rhodes (London Irish)
Ewan Richards (Bath Rugby)
Sam Riley (Harlequins)
Ethan Staddon (Bath Rugby)
Freddie Thomas (Gloucester Rugby)

Backs
Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)
Seb Atkinson (Worcester Warriors)
Deago Bailey (Bristol Bears)
Orlando Bailey (Bath Rugby)
Oscar Beard (Harlequins)
Joe Carpenter (Sale Sharks)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints)
Will Joseph (London Irish)
Dan Lancaster (Leeds Tykes)
Tommy Mathews (Northampton Saints)
Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks)
Tom Roebuck (Sale Sharks)
Fin Smith (Worcester Warriors)
Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers)
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie in England U20s
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
Interesting that there seems to be quite a few from Glaws and tigers. But only one from ourselves and Saracens ,with no youngsters from chiefs at all.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 04:19:53 PM »
I’d have though Nearchou and Curran would be in with a good shout. Maybe Zach missed out because he’s in Italy, and Kieran because he’s injured?

I guess Wasps never seem to do that well at U20s selection. Stuart, West, Oghre, Jack Willis, Umaga - all players who missed out or benched in key games (like JWC finals) for laughably inferior options.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
I’d have though Nearchou and Curran would be in with a good shout. Maybe Zach missed out because he’s in Italy, and Kieran because he’s injured?

I guess Wasps never seem to do that well at U20s selection. Stuart, West, Oghre, Jack Willis, Umaga - all players who missed out or benched in key games (like JWC finals) for laughably inferior options.

I think your first para is close to the mark.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
Anyone getting regular time in a full competition such as pro14, prem etc, is better off learning there, than in the u20s.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 04:40:28 PM »
Anyone getting regular time in a full competition such as pro14, prem etc, is better off learning there, than in the u20s.

For the 6Ns I agree but the JWC is worth it as it’s after the season. I don’t know whether the U20 6Ns will go ahead, if it does I highly doubt Charlie will play, we will want to keep him with us and clubs usually get priority.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »

For the 6Ns I agree but the JWC is worth it as it’s after the season. I don’t know whether the U20 6Ns will go ahead, if it does I highly doubt Charlie will play, we will want to keep him with us and clubs usually get priority.

Perhaps, but I'd rather they get a proper off season if they're playing mens rugby during the season.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »

Perhaps, but I'd rather they get a proper off season if they're playing mens rugby during the season.

No different from going on a summer tour with England. If they were playing a heavy season I might agree due to the young age, but Charlie is still our second choice and probably won’t get over 1,000 minutes of senior rugby this season.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »

No different from going on a summer tour with England. If they were playing a heavy season I might agree due to the young age, but Charlie is still our second choice and probably won’t get over 1,000 minutes of senior rugby this season.

Senior internationals get guaranteed rest periods to make up for the fact that they were with England. u20s have no such obligations. And Charlie will be training full time with the seniors, the 20-80 minutes on the pitch is nothing compared to the weekly mental and physical slog.