Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rowlands  (Read 5543 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rowlands
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »
There are still some oddities in the pathway rules, Alex Dombrandt played for Wales u20 but was totally ineligible for the senior side as u20 rules allowed students at university to represent that country at that level. Even if the Wales u20 was their capture side then, which it wasn't, he still couldn't of played for the senior side unless completing residence.

Not really an oddity anymore, as u20s cannot lock in nationality now (can no longer be nominated as 2nd team I believe).

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 06:26:32 PM »
The curious case in all this is Tomas Francis who has had his contract “extended” at Exeter so he can continue to play for Wales. Could Wasps have done that with Rowland?
I think you can extend a contract once ,which we have with Rowlands, but you can’t extend an extension.

Interesting - I wasn’t aware of the one extension limit. What’s the rational behind that? I was of the understanding that as long as the extended contract (no matter how many times it was extended) had the same T&Cs throughout then the player can continue to play at a non-Welsh club and still remain eligible for Wales. However I can’t see many players, particularly someone of Rowlands’ rising calibre agreeing to the same contract details (particularly if it was already extended once).

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
There are still some oddities in the pathway rules, Alex Dombrandt played for Wales u20 but was totally ineligible for the senior side as u20 rules allowed students at university to represent that country at that level. Even if the Wales u20 was their capture side then, which it wasn't, he still couldn't of played for the senior side unless completing residence.

Not really an oddity anymore, as u20s cannot lock in nationality now (can no longer be nominated as 2nd team I believe).

Indeed but with so few / no A team games there is the capped / uncapped international issue instead like Callum Sheedy, played for England XV v Barbarians  but not captured so could be capped for Wales!

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »

Also the U20s eligibility rules are different for different tournaments. Matt Protheroe played for England in the U20s 6Ns but was ineligible to play for us in the JWC (and wouldn’t have been eligible for the senior side).

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 07:30:31 PM »
The curious case in all this is Tomas Francis who has had his contract “extended” at Exeter so he can continue to play for Wales. Could Wasps have done that with Rowland?
I think you can extend a contract once ,which we have with Rowlands, but you can’t extend an extension.

Interesting - I wasn’t aware of the one extension limit. What’s the rational behind that? I was of the understanding that as long as the extended contract (no matter how many times it was extended) had the same T&Cs throughout then the player can continue to play at a non-Welsh club and still remain eligible for Wales. However I can’t see many players, particularly someone of Rowlands’ rising calibre agreeing to the same contract details (particularly if it was already extended once).

I’m sure it came up with YY . Pretty sure there was an article about him having to make his mind up after making one extension ,whether to take new contract or go to Wales.

I guess it’s to stop a whole raft of players doing this and might only apply to Welsh as one of their rules, but as you said would it be wise to perpetually extend a fixed employment contract. As an employer you can run into all sorts of unforeseen problems- Uber, BBC, Saracens etc

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 08:43:01 PM »

I’m sure it came up with YY . Pretty sure there was an article about him having to make his mind up after making one extension ,whether to take new contract or go to Wales.

I guess it’s to stop a whole raft of players doing this and might only apply to Welsh as one of their rules, but as you said would it be wise to perpetually extend a fixed employment contract. As an employer you can run into all sorts of unforeseen problems- Uber, BBC, Saracens etc

Thanks Hookender