Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More answers than questions.  (Read 1635 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
More answers than questions.
« on: January 02, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »
We are completely transformed under Blackett and his coaching team. One of the things I've been most impressed with is the amount of problem solving they've got through in terms of the team which in turn has given us lots and lots of options now as a squad. We can rotate the front row without lack of impact. We can reliably count Barbeary, Oghre and Gaskell as back rowers. They've unearthed Odogwu as an acceptable 13 and Lima as a possible 15. They've introduced countless youngsters - not forgetting in that the development of Umaga, Willis and West who are now seen as established. It all works because of the trust they convey to the players in terms of their ability. The net result is if you now had to pick our best 23 the options would be wide and varied. All that's left for the coaching team is to turn their amazing work into a trophy or two.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More answers than questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:28:15 AM »
Blackett has replaced the conservatism of Dai and his reliance on key individuals, sometimes regardless of form, with trust and opportunity, especially for younger players. This seems to make it more fun for everyone and instills belief.

He has also got the coaches working as a team with some key appointments in vital areas, especially in S&C. Sustained intensity is one of the biggest improvements along with defence that's the polar opposite of what we were used to without even changing the defence coach. Lee also seems to be very savvy and is prepared to make calculated gambles which often work.

I think we are very lucky to have such a fantastic squad of players and coaches with youth on their side. We could well be entering the Blackett era which has the potential to rival the Gatland era.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:33:50 AM »
Blackett has replaced the conservatism of Dai and his reliance on key individuals, sometimes regardless of form, with trust and opportunity, especially for younger players. This seems to make it more fun for everyone and instills belief.

He has also got the coaches working as a team with some key appointments in vital areas, especially in S&C. Sustained intensity is one of the biggest improvements along with defence that's the polar opposite of what we were used to without even changing the defence coach. Lee also seems to be very savvy and is prepared to make calculated gambles which often work.

I think we are very lucky to have such a fantastic squad of players and coaches with youth on their side. We could well be entering the Blackett era which has the potential to rival the Gatland era.
+1

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »
I also think we can't under-estimate two factors:

-- The (positive) impact of lockdown and two-games-a-week on our playing squad.  It took the pressure off of Lee as there really wasn't any expectations on the squad.  As fans, we wanted to see us scoring tries and some new blood.  Midweek games forced the whole squad to be used.  Lee used it incredibly wisely, opting to mix and match rather than an 'A' and a 'B' team like Saints/Chiefs did

-- Lee's sole focus being on coaching.  He's had a lot of the energy-sapping politics and management taken off of his hands.  His job is simply to best prepare the players for the weekend.  No worrying about contracts, or agent-speak, no board-meetings etc...

Lastly, on the flip-side, I don't think you can under-estimate the pressure that Dai must have felt having come through the brink of relegation and financial collapse, before then being outed as the highest-paid DoR in the prem along with money to spend of galactico-type players.  His experience of fighting for survival (quite literally) likely had a profound effect on how he saw the game and why he opted for safety-first type tactics and a selection.  Then with a significant amount of cash invested in the playing squad and his salary, I'm not sure he could or would have been afforded a crappy season blooding players and trying to find a playing-style, rather than winning. 

Unfortunately, the latter seemed to compound things, the more they lost, the more we went into our shell. 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:45:48 AM »
I think I suggested this before - but all coaching regimes seem to have a limited life - and the Dai period had probably come to its natural end and if we're to be honest - it probably had a bit before.

The coaching team provides the "theme" for the team as well as the technical and strategic inputs. What Wasps' new coaching team have provided is the confidence for players to play, make mistakes and use their own initiative, more often. It's not different players, but the same players in the main, playing with less stress (it seems to me)

The challenge is to get beyond "new coach bounce" and make the move to making the team yours. It seems to me that the responsibility and leadership shown across the squad provides optimism that Wasps and this coaching team have the necessary to succeed. Remembering how small the margins are in top level sport.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
Think one of the main differences for Blackett and his coaching team is that are focusing on just that, coaching, Dai was having to deal with so many things non coaching related, as has previously been mentioned on here Stephen Vaughan a big part of that.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 11:13:23 AM »
Edited as posted in the wrong thread.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 11:43:04 AM »
Yes, no doubt Vaughan has had a big part to play. I just think the decision making and planning of the coaching team has been exceptionally good. Little things like giving Barbeary game time without the pressure of it being at hooker, Gaskell at 6 yesterday, Odogwu recognised as being as close to Fekitoa as we had etc etc. It's apparent that we have a talented coaching set up.