Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest rumour  (Read 7619 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest rumour
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
I know we need to keep the profile of the club up, but would you travel in the branded wasps landy to meet a potential signing for ‘presumably’ a clandestine meeting?  Unless it’s a done deal....

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »
A few weeks ago Jimmy was on top of his game - a couple of disappointing games tells me he needs a break not retirement.

Jimmy will be retained to nurture Umaga and Atkinson - and Sam Spink and Will Simonds - as a player/coach.

Absolutely agree about Gopperth. He is a fantastic player and still very much at the top of his game. Supporters can be ‘emotionally charged’ with their view of a player swinging from one extreme to another from one game to the next (take Sopoaga as another prime example). Yes Jimmy’s (kicking) stats have been below par for a couple of games but then to take that as a sign that he is now all of a sudden over the hill is laughable. The bloke has been worked to the bone and simply needs some rest and recuperation.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
A few weeks ago Jimmy was on top of his game - a couple of disappointing games tells me he needs a break not retirement.

Jimmy will be retained to nurture Umaga and Atkinson - and Sam Spink and Will Simonds - as a player/coach.

Absolutely agree about Gopperth. He is a fantastic player and still very much at the top of his game. Supporters can be ‘emotionally charged’ with their view of a player swinging from one extreme to another from one game to the next (take Sopoaga as another prime example). Yes Jimmy’s (kicking) stats have been below par for a couple of games but then to take that as a sign that he is now all of a sudden over the hill is laughable. The bloke has been worked to the bone and simply needs some rest and recuperation.

Like this comment!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 06:18:32 PM »
+ 1

MarleyWasp

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/WaspsRFC/comments/kn0cha/did_a_poo_spotted_a_deal/

Tenuous.

Taunton Deane seems an odd location has separate service stations on either side of the motorway and isn't exactly half way between Bristol and Exeter.

That said, VV doesn't strike me as the kind of person to post a rumour without any legs and Rugby Onslaught claim to have a picture of the meeting...

https://rugbyonslaught.com/fan-spots-ollie-devoto-in-secret-meeting-with-wasps-coaches-at-service-station-in-bizarre-transfer-leak/

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »

Tenuous.

Taunton Deane seems an odd location has separate service stations on either side of the motorway and isn't exactly half way between Bristol and Exeter.

That said, VV doesn't strike me as the kind of person to post a rumour without any legs and Rugby Onslaught claim to have a picture of the meeting...

https://rugbyonslaught.com/fan-spots-ollie-devoto-in-secret-meeting-with-wasps-coaches-at-service-station-in-bizarre-transfer-leak/

Nah they've not actually said what that photo is, classic click bait from a unreliable source. Just says what we already know.

I'll add I know this story shouldn't be taken as fact, but it might be true. The Cipriani rumours for him at Gloucester started from a similar situation. This isn't like rumours "I know a guy at Wasps who says we're getting 'x' player ", this seems a bit more possible because it's not outlandish. I mean Devoto is the best name he could come up with if he were lying? Why not Radradra or Beauden Barrett? Not saying it's true, just saying we'll see what happens!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »

Tenuous.

Please don't give it any extra credence because I posted it here. I just thought it was an interesting possibility and was worth a discussion.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
Bobby B has written a lengthy article on who’s definitely staying and rumours in The Coventry Telegraph online. Perhaps someone can C&P it. A lot are in contract  for next season, but the names of Malakai and Lima are not there. Matteo is, together with the young guns.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:23 PM »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
BB heavily implies wasps aren't looking for centres.

Also made me realize we never gave Cardall an extension alongside Spink, Porter, Oghre, T Willis etc.

Also no mention at all on Fekitoa or Sopoaga.

And BB reminded me of bizarre rumours including Sam Davies and Siya Kolisi.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:09:53 PM by HDAWG »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
Malakai would be the one that I would be very disappointed to see leaving.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 10:37:38 PM »
Malakai would be the one that I would be very disappointed to see leaving.

Very +1

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 12:48:20 AM »
Devote would be a great signing if we hadn’t already signed Mills and wouldn’t quite work as a Fekitoa replacement either.
Great spot though if true, also not sure you’d all go in the wasps land rover either

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
Would it not land us in trouble - when can you officially begin discussions with a player from another Club?

I think Devoto is a great fit for us although I can’t see why he’d leave Chiefs.  In theory, a like-for-like replacement for Gopperth (in a salary sense) who is a high-earner in the squad.  I think he was signed on something like £300k/season from Leinster at the time?

In theory, Umaga and Atkinson will be able to take over kicking duties and less of a reliance for a 10/12 with a genuine second choice 10 coming through in Charlie and both Miller and Mills able to cover at 10 if need be. 

Malakai leaving would feel like a big loss to me.  But I think is Sops goes, Malakai will go too.  Supposedly, he wasn’t signed on a huge deal and is best-mates with Lima.

It’s been a real shame to not see Lima hit the consistent heights he’s capable of.  He’s a really likeable bloke who seems one of life’s good-guys.  Irrelevant of what he’s being paid, it’s never nice to hear something openly talk about their struggles with homesickness and getting to grips with the game up here.

Part of me hopes he stays to show us he can nail it, especially whilst we’re a squad that’s in contention for trophies.  The other part thinks it’s time to call it a day and spend the money in other areas (like second row!).  Love Minozzi at FB and we forget how good a fullback Miller really is when he gets a string of games.  After that, we’ve got Umaga, Atkinson and Watson who can all fill in.  It’s a really flexible squad.