Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Closing out the game (Spoiler)  (Read 1909 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Closing out the game (Spoiler)
« on: December 27, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »
I've been critical of us before when it comes to closing out the last 5 minutes of games.
I think this may be one of the few times I've ever seen us go through a number of phases at the death just to run the clock down

Congratulations!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Closing out the game (Spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
It's a risky business two minutes out but we managed it well. JTA clapping for it each time!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
Yes absolutely but I also felt that the territory deep in the Sale half helped our cause (thanks to TY). I imagine CMK would have had a hawk-eye on us if we were in our own half.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
In their half you have a safety net if you get pinged. In your own you are toast, so not a problem yesterday, even if two mins is a long time......

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:22:35 AM »
Also as it was in their half Sale had to be mindful of not  causing a penalty, which potentially might have cost them a losing bonus point.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 01:54:45 AM »
Also as it was in their half Sale had to be mindful of not  causing a penalty, which potentially might have cost them a losing bonus point.

Very good point, had not thought of that.

I have wondered if some refs are more likely to ping than others when a team runs the clock down, and if it is something teams look at.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 01:01:27 PM »

I have wondered if some refs are more likely to ping than others when a team runs the clock down, and if it is something teams look at.
Hopefully, what they're looking for is a fair challenge for the ball so if the team in possession go straight to ground and pile players on top of him to seal off then yes, they'd penalise you. Likewise though, if the defending team are a little too eager and creep offside they'd also be risking getting pinged.

I say hopefully because it was CMK, Heaven only knows what he looks for, it can be a bit of a lottery. Did anyone else notice that according to him there is no need to throw straight into the line out? Some of Sale's line out throws were laughable.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 01:12:25 PM »
I  love  it when our side is doing the 'waste time'  routine successfully - but not when then opposition is doing it.  Strange, that.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »

Hopefully, what they're looking for is a fair challenge for the ball so if the team in possession go straight to ground and pile players on top of him to seal off then yes, they'd penalise you. Likewise though, if the defending team are a little too eager and creep offside they'd also be risking getting pinged.

I say hopefully because it was CMK, Heaven only knows what he looks for, it can be a bit of a lottery. Did anyone else notice that according to him there is no need to throw straight into the line out? Some of Sale's line out throws were laughable.

I thought some were a bit wonky, to say the least. Not sure if that was just me being one eyed.