Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sam Jones  (Read 2850 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sam Jones
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
Does anyone have any information on what's going on with him?

By my reckoning he broke his leg 9 months ago now.  I'm no surgeon, but I worked in Orthpaedics for several years and I can't think of a singly type of injury that would still have him out without some fairly serious complications.

I am beginning to worry that we might not see him again.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Sam Jones
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
He was originally hoped to be back by the end of March. Nothing was said. I think Dai confirmed he might then be back by the Sarries game, or the SF vs Tigers. But still no sign of him. This lack of news is worrying.

This MIGHT be his Instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/_sammyjonesy/

IF it is, he looks OK (in Paris).

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »
Hoping he was mended but not match fit.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
I am not sure that I would have risked him in any of the final run of games, would you? Better to train in with the guys over Summer and maybe come off the bench in the pre-season games. Which reminds me. Last year, as well as Briz away (replaced by Ulster this year - tickets already on sale!!), I wonder if we will have a home game. The Carnegie game was quite nice in the Summer warmth, free as it was for ST holders.

I haven't seen him around locally with the other guys, so I assume he stayed down in London when the move happened?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Doesn't look like him, and don't think it is his instagram.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
I'm not convinced that's his Instagram.

My concern is that he might have suffered some sort of post op infection or that the op might not have been as successful as initially hoped.  Its hard to make any educated guesses based on the lack of information we have been given, but a "fractured fibula" alongside a "significant ankle injury" suggests to me that is might have been what is known as a Maisonneuve fracture.  That fits with the timescale as you'd expect someone to take about 5 months to return to sport after one of those.

But the extra 3-4 months?  Removing metalwork will maybe add a few weeks to things, but we'd expect to seem in in training at the very least.  And that did not seem to be the case.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

400Wasp

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »
His 'work' twitter account is @SF_Jones and he has not posted on there since May 20 and he doesn't use it much anyway.