Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Flats team of round 5  (Read 2782 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Flats team of round 5
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Includes 6 wasps - Launchbury Gaskell  Robson Umaga Bassett and Le Bourgeois .

Good for them.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Flats team of round 5
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »
Has le Bou changed his breakfast cereal? The improvement in him over the past couple of months is amazing. Probably change of coaching and belief in himself.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Also Lima only just missed out "had his best game for Wasps"

The professionals must see things differently to the fans  :)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »
Has le Bou changed his breakfast cereal? The improvement in him over the past couple of months is amazing. Probably change of coaching and belief in himself.

Others have mentioned this over the last few months and I agree. It's been suggested that adapting to the premiership was difficult, but also we're using him properly. In the first season he wasn't used in a consistent way. But now he is. Honestly he's a really reliable defender and carrier now. Not a creative 12, but a very reliable one.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »
Also Lima only just missed out "had his best game for Wasps"

The professionals must see things differently to the fans  :)

Are you suggesting professional pundits know more about rugby than the posters on here?

Heresy!!  :)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:27:31 PM »

Others have mentioned this over the last few months and I agree. It's been suggested that adapting to the premiership was difficult, but also we're using him properly. In the first season he wasn't used in a consistent way. But now he is. Honestly he's a really reliable defender and carrier now. Not a creative 12, but a very reliable one.

I agree with this. He was dropped into it last season as almost last centre standing and never had a chance to bed into the team and the Prem. The improvement has been for me anyway - over a longer period - started to look more like the player we expected to have (having had time to bed in) New coaching set up seems to have liberated quite a few players - I'd guess he's also been swept along with that too. I think we'll see more as we go along.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »
Same could be said of Josh Bassett who also came to Wasps from the Championship.

He always had a lot of speed and a bit of grunt but seems to have added some rugby intelligence this season and is playing by far his best rugby.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
For me players like Booj & Bassett making teams of the week show what a good job is being done by the coaching team to actually improve players & get the best out of them. These players were never bad players, but needed bringing up to prem level & beyond. I know Bassetts been there for a while, but he's also improved this season.
This shows, IMO, a really positive coaching atmosphere. Sure they won't get everything right, but even in games Wasps have lost, the coaching message seems to have been the same

Remember 18 months ago, when there were rumours of a "toxic atmosphere" at Wasps & stories of players being very unhappy? Maybe they were true after all?
Perhaps some of the coaching team that left were part of that toxic atmosphere, hence the improvement now?
(not slagging anyone off in person here, just a general thought)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 03:12:56 PM »
For me players like Booj & Bassett making teams of the week show what a good job is being done by the coaching team to actually improve players & get the best out of them. These players were never bad players, but needed bringing up to prem level & beyond. I know Bassetts been there for a while, but he's also improved this season.
This shows, IMO, a really positive coaching atmosphere. Sure they won't get everything right, but even in games Wasps have lost, the coaching message seems to have been the same

Remember 18 months ago, when there were rumours of a "toxic atmosphere" at Wasps & stories of players being very unhappy? Maybe they were true after all?
Perhaps some of the coaching team that left were part of that toxic atmosphere, hence the improvement now?

"Toxic Atmosphere" - look at the players who left - maybe it is just a happier ship viz the players. Yes the change to the coaching team has undoubtably helped. Perhaps having a Coach who is 100% on coaching rather than the "alledged" 30-40% Dai was able to devote time to helps too.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »

I imagine you are correct but I think FWIW that it was perhaps more player unrest, such as Daly wanting to be with the Cheats etc, that likely drove it. Now, I'm not in any social circles that would back up those claims but it's what I've heard through grapevines.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 03:47:03 PM »
Maybe the players who left wanted to go because they didn't like the coaching atmosphere?

I guess probably a bit of both, unhappy players can cause unhappy coaches & vice versa.
Not great whatever happened.

I maintain that, however much they cheated salary wise, Sarries maintained a very happy group of players who grew & flourished.
If Daly was not happy at Wasps & didn't think he was getting coached correctly & didn't enjoy the atmosphere why would he not want to go to a better place? Or, he was just after the money :) I certainly didn't like the way he found some small print in his contract to get to leave early.

Its all surmise & speculation, we will probably only know in a few years when someone involved  puts it in their biography.
For those who have read Haskell's book, what did he say about that period?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »
Maybe the players who left wanted to go because they didn't like the coaching atmosphere?

I guess probably a bit of both, unhappy players can cause unhappy coaches & vice versa.
Not great whatever happened.

I maintain that, however much they cheated salary wise, Sarries maintained a very happy group of players who grew & flourished.
If Daly was not happy at Wasps & didn't think he was getting coached correctly & didn't enjoy the atmosphere why would he not want to go to a better place? Or, he was just after the money :) I certainly didn't like the way he found some small print in his contract to get to leave early.

Its all surmise & speculation, we will probably only know in a few years when someone involved  puts it in their biography.
For those who have read Haskell's book, what did he say about that period?

Wouldn't most people be happy to be paid more to do the same???

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »
What stands out for me is Flatman has Robson in his team of the week and as a ex scrum half I also could tell Dobby had a game that showcased his quality and experience yet Bobby Bridge criticised his performance and marked him a 6/10.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
I'm surprised at some people saying Bassett has improved. He's been excellent for years as far as I'm concerned.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 09:53:07 PM »
+ 1 x100