Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lol on Lima  (Read 2924 times)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lol on Lima
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
That Reid is #1 for missed tackles reminds me of when Betsen also held that particular title for a while. Loose forwards throwing themselves around are perhaps likely to miss quite a few.

Tackling at 15 is much harder than at 10. However, that doesn't excuse being worse than every other fullback at it (assuming the above quoted % completion stats are accurate). Hopefully he is working on those kind of 1 v 1 tackles as the current success rate is unacceptable for a professional player starting at 15.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 08:48:33 AM »
Accepted but remember the guy has spent 99% of his playing life at No 10. Not the same requirement as a stopper (unless you are a certain JW). Wasps are somewhat hidebound by injury and internationals leaving few possibilities to fill the 15 slot. He has stepped in and done a job - some think he is sh1t and many professional commentators put him in their team of the week. He does the job surprisingly well to my mind - he does miss tackles but that isn't something new for the position.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:15:54 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 09:14:03 AM »
Accepted but remember the guy has spent 99% of his playing life at No 10. Not the same requirement as a stopped (unless you are a certain JW). Wasps are somewhat hidebound by injury and internationals leaving few possibilities to fill the 15 slot. He has stepped in and done a job - some think he is sh1t and many professional commentators put him in their team of the week. He does the job surprisingly well to my mind - he does miss tackles but that isn't something new for the position.

Agree with that - he's added something to our play going forwards and has looked to take a leadership role - and is showing he wants to be on the pitch for us. Tackling is a WIP, but has shown a point of difference often enough to have made the selection at 15, on balance, a success.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »
some think he is sh1t

That's what I have a bit of an issue with. However many tackles he's missed, he's still a class player.
I can't really understand why his every mistake is jumped upon.

It seems certain players get viewed differently.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
some think he is sh1t

That's what I have a bit of an issue with. However many tackles he's missed, he's still a class player.
I can't really understand why his every mistake is jumped upon.

It seems certain players get viewed differently.

Well put!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »
Part of his problem is fans know he is on a good wage. That brings more scrutiny. His most recent mistakes have also resulted in instantaneous opposition tries which doesn't help. In the round I think he's doing a good job at 15. His place kicking points have been absolutely vital too.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
Its been interesting reading this thread. My take is that most want him to succeed and any criticisms have been born out of the disappointment of high expectations and sympathy for Lima himself, knowing that top sportsmen don't fail on purpose and the better they are the more failure hurts.

I think the other problem is that a lot a FBs hard work takes place off camera. We don't see them working hard following the play and trying to get in the right positions, which must be 80% of the FBs job. hat's something that journalists are seeing and we aren't - and that can be said for all the back line and even outside centre.

As Stephen Jones said in that podcast, he's born that failure and disappointment well and fought back with a smile on his face (mostly).

At FB he certainly adds a great deal when he has the ball or pops up in the line and in that respect I can think of a long running England FB who was renowned for never passing, that can be equally frustrating.

I think we can be fairly sure that he is working hard with the coaches to improve himself as a FB, if not for personal pride as a professional then to improve his marketability if and when he does leave. Having listened to him and read about him I think it will be personal pride, he doesn't strike me as being that mercenary.