Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thread of the Match  (Read 14619 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Thread of the Match
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »
I was working late so didn't even get to follow the game. Struggling to understand quite what happened!

Those that were actually following the game are doing the same.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2021, 11:47:44 PM »
Basically it was a free for all in which we were brilliant and terrible but more brilliant and less terrible than Bath.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2021, 01:06:07 AM »
Feel like I've been 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Not sure if what I've just watched was absolutely brilliant or diabolical. What I do know is I'd have snapped your hand off for 14 points from the last three games. I never thought we were out of that, even at 13-0. Some great performances, Cruse, Odogwu, Shields, Young, Robson. Line out was great and scrum solid. It's becoming clear we have a phenomenal squad and set of coaches. I think in terms of this game, don't try and analyse chaos, take the 5, move on.
Totally. Great match for the neutrals but oddly I never thought we would lose that. Been a long long time since I thought that, which is testament to Lee and the coaches and players. There is something awesome building at Wasps. Players like Kibirige and Odogwu that I was a long way from being convinced by have completely blossomed under the new regime. Its quite astonishing.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2021, 01:09:15 AM »
Just watched Lee complaining about scoring 52 points lol.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
Just watched Lee complaining about scoring 52 points lol.

What does Dallaglio have to do with Lee commenting?

:)
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2021, 08:21:51 AM »
Wow, although we haven't won any silverware for over 12 years I consider myself a very lucky boy to be a Wasps supporter.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2021, 08:27:18 AM »
I just wonder if Wasps now have another 'cult' figure that follows on from the BTL and Ash days?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
Feel like I've been 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Not sure if what I've just watched was absolutely brilliant or diabolical. What I do know is I'd have snapped your hand off for 14 points from the last three games. I never thought we were out of that, even at 13-0. Some great performances, Cruse, Odogwu, Shields, Young, Robson. Line out was great and scrum solid. It's becoming clear we have a phenomenal squad and set of coaches. I think in terms of this game, don't try and analyse chaos, take the 5, move on.
Totally. Great match for the neutrals but oddly I never thought we would lose that. Been a long long time since I thought that, which is testament to Lee and the coaches and players. There is something awesome building at Wasps. Players like Kibirige and Odogwu that I was a long way from being convinced by have completely blossomed under the new regime. Its quite astonishing.

Right now, I think we're a scary prospect for any opposition.  We've shown we can fight fire with fire when it comes to physicality (Sale, Chiefs) and it's apparent to anyone watching that two scores isn't enough of a buffer to keep us at bay. 

That's a lot of psychological pressure for the opposition to be under.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
Shipped 44 points - the defence coach must go  ;) :D ;) :D

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
It's difficult being a Wasps fan (bear with me...) as whilst I really love the entertainment - what I want is some silverware. As much as I love the way we are playing - I'd like some games where we "do a bit of an Exeter" and blank the opposition.

Now - last week was the template for that and last night was just one of those games and we're playing as a squad and with a smile on our collective faces. And it was clear when Jimmy came on, that a little more control was suggested....but we just kept on going for it.

Confidence is a great thing - I hope that looking forwards we us that confidence - along with our AB contingent - to play in a manner that doesn't give the opposition some much of a sniff. Especially one with the firepower that Bath had (even if they failed to use it)

But what a game - I thought we'd win all the way through, oddly. Probably me being unrealistically optimistic which enjoying a glass of red.....but I'd happily see us win the next Prem game 21-0......

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »
Full match and Highlights videos are now up on PRL site.

Have just downloaded full match to watch again without having to worry about result!

Whilst on subject of videos of our matches - does anyone know if there is one of our HC match against Dragons? I've seen the highlights but not the full match.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »
Two things from last night.

I much preferred the subdued celebrations after the tries . Also scrum penalties and turnovers seemed to have less congratulations.think it helped speed up the game(as if it needed it!)

Do you think Bath should have gone for more line outs rather than penalties? I know it kept score ticking over for them but particularly at 10 up could have really put us under

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
Two things from last night.

I much preferred the subdued celebrations after the tries . Also scrum penalties and turnovers seemed to have less congratulations.think it helped speed up the game(as if it needed it!)

Do you think Bath should have gone for more line outs rather than penalties? I know it kept score ticking over for them but particularly at 10 up could have really put us under

The lack of try celebrations wasn’t as bad as I expected, although some did slip through. Given the lack of crowds, I think some celebrations are an important way to boost team morale and win the psychological game against the opponent.

The other thing I noted was that Launchbury was more vocal throughout, even getting a telling off from Carley at one point.

As for Bath’s penalty kicks, in hindsight you are right but I don’t think anyone expected a 96 point game. Remember there was only 8 points in it at the end.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2021, 01:44:28 PM »
Have read a Telegraph article where it says the refs have been told that anyone not having their feet under their hips cannot be supporting their own weight.

Just watched where Jack gets pinged for "not supporting his weight", yet the video shows he was. The commentator discussion was about the feet/hips position

This indicates that players like Jack, who are able to support their weight in a way that you usually only see in gymnasts, not rugby players, is likely to be penalised unfairly in future.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »

The other thing I noted was that Launchbury was more vocal throughout, even getting a telling off from Carley at one point.

I thought the telling off was possibly to do with not standing to close and breathing over him !

( COVID protocols)