Always a Wasp

Author Topic: O/T honours for Rob and Joe  (Read 2086 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
O/T honours for Rob and Joe
« on: December 31, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
 No,not our pair but Baxter and Simmonds

Never been comfortable with sportspeople getting OBE’s etc for doing just their job.

But thank Christ it wasn’t done for Saracens.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: O/T honours for Rob and Joe
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
We should also mention that Matt Hampson has been appointed an OBE.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »

This is the more deserved methinks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »

This is the more deserved methinks.

Absolutely

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Well deserved . Obviously for more than just being good at your career

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
Well Gats won the Premiership and EC double with us having picked us up from being relegation candidates two seasons earlier, he didn't get his gong (CBE) until this year for services to Welsh rugby, makes Baxter's award look a little odd. Likewise Lol got his OBE for being in the England team that won the world cup, no recognition for his considerable achievements prior to that captaining Wasps, so Simmonds? Really?

Not disputing Chiefs achievements in coming up from relative obscurity to their present position and no doubting they would have achieved more had it not been for the cheating of a certain property investment company but I think these awards are a tiny bit misplaced.

Matt Hampson however is thoroughly deserved, gob loads of cash raised for a very deserving cause.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
Firstly, I'd like to say congratulations to them both, within the current parameters for honouring sports men and women its well deserved.

That said, I really don't like this trend of honouring sports men and women for achievement while they are still playing, not least because they could still do something embarrassing, but mostly because they are awarded for doing something they enjoy and often, as with Olympic medallists, paid for by the tax or lottery player.

People often think the trend started with Ian Botham, but that's wrong. His first award was for using his fame to raise awareness of, and a lot of money towards, childhood leukaemia. His cricketing achievements were secondary.

I would like us to return to the days when people were awarded for their contributions to a sport after they'd retired when we can judge the fullness of their careers.

Another +1 for Matt

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »
Within the context of honours for sporting achievement, it's great to see rugby, and more specifically club rugby get this level of recognition. So huge congratulations to them.

Whether or not it is appropriate is certainly debatable. However, the only debate about Matt Hampson's is why he hadn't got one before. Thoroughly deserved

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »
Well said, MH thoroughly deserves it. 

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
Don't understand what Simmonds has done to deserve this. Baxter fine he has done a phenomenal job, and to echo about well overdue for Hampson. Nothing for Emily Scarratt?

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 07:35:14 PM »
Don't understand what Simmonds has done to deserve this. Baxter fine he has done a phenomenal job, and to echo about well overdue for Hampson. Nothing for Emily Scarratt?

No but Damian Hopley gets a gong for services to, I presume, professional rugby players.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »
The whole issue of gongs for sportsmen is a mess.

Lol has raised millions for charity but has got nothing beyond his OBE.

Wiggo gets a K for one TdF. Froomey gets zilch for 4 TdFs, 2 Vueltas and 1 Giro.

Baxter and Simmonds are lucky IMHO.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »
Watched the latest house of rugby where they discussed this a little. Jamie George a little miffed and pointing out that Saracens won much more than Exeter and got nothing. Now I certainly wouldn't want that lot being awarded anything given their cheating, but as that has only officially been recognised recently it does make Simmonds award seem even more of a farce.

Considered writing an anonymous open letter calling for Simmonds to hand it back, as surely he nor anyone else can really believe he deserves it compared to other awardees. Opened a word doc then closed it but not totally banished the thought from my mind. Not sure what it would do other than make me happy for a short while and perhaps make Simmonds sad.